Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Aseph

BEERFEST

I just saw Beerfest last night, and I'm going to start a thread about it for whatever reason.

Beerfest is the type of movie you feel ashamed for laughing at. It's extremely stupid and sophomoric, but it somehow manages to be funny anyway.

It is similar to Kung Pow: Enter The Fist or the Jackass movie in that I know I shouldn't be laughing. I should be shaking my head in disgust. But somehow, I always end up laughing until my sides hurt.

Still, Beerfest was better than that Dukes Of Hazzard movie (made by the same people, if you didn't know). I typically don't tell people I watched that movie. But here on the internet, my identity is disguised! Huzzah!

Anyway, what did you people think?

Why would you watch that kind of crap?

And just for the record Kung Pow! is a hilarious movie because it is a series of random gags instead of them trying to put real coherance to the plot or (even worse) trying to give the movie some meaning like most American 'comedies'. Of course, my opinion may be skewed because I was stoned when I watched that movie.

I liked Oldschool, it was good for cheap laughs, and Vince Vaughn is always good.

Can we class Beerfest in the same league as that? If so I may go see it.

If I could time travel, I would (after killing john conner's great grandparents) kill the producers, the director, the writers and the entire fucking cast of American Pie. Ever since that piece of shit movie any mainstream comedy from america has been made by and made for complete total and utter morons.

darknation said:

If I could time travel, I would (after killing john conner's great grandparents) kill the producers, the director, the writers and the entire fucking cast of American Pie. Ever since that piece of shit movie any mainstream comedy from america has been made by and made for complete total and utter morons.

Amen!

Whilst of course the classics such as Monty Python, The Young Ones, Black Adder and Father Ted have subtle Sartresque undertones that would please even the most biting satirists.

They're even classier when they soil themselves.

darknation said:

I think it goes further back than that. It really started going downhill when Adam Sandler and the Farely Brothers started directing movies. Then of course the whole "comedy with morals and a happy ending" thing has been going on since forever. It seem like every comedy these days ends with people hugging and holding hands and getting the girl. They usually waste the last 10 minutes of the movie with tear-jerking plot resolution instead of having any funney. Now of all the comedies I've ever seen, I think Life of Brian had the best ending. The main character is condemned to die via crucifiction and his compatriates, girlfriend, and even his own mother all abandon him. So he's left out there to die and what happens? All the people dying on crosses break out into a musical number about how life sucks and you just gotta chuckle through the bullshit. Not really a happy ending (unless you pay close attention to the song's lyrics), but it's a hilarious one. We need more movies like that.

Danarchy said:
It really started going downhill when Adam Sandler and the Farely Brothers started directing movies. Then of course the whole "comedy with morals and a happy ending" thing has been going on since forever. It seem like every comedy these days ends with people hugging and holding hands and getting the girl. They usually waste the last 10 minutes of the movie with tear-jerking plot resolution instead of having any funney.

Yeah, that reminds me of a movie exactly like that I watched recently about some comic book artists, with Ben Affleck. While some bits here or there were witty, overall and as the movie advanced the melodious and drama-oriented elements were developed to a point they became morbid.

While the "happy ending" thing is more or less a part of the traditional comedy in one way or another (though "dark comedy" diverges), a comedy without a critical eye is just a failing imitation of comedy. Just read some Aristophanes or even Shakespeare and you'll see how filthy or incisive they could be.

Danarchy said:

Why would you watch that kind of crap?

And just for the record Kung Pow! is a hilarious movie because it is a series of random gags instead of them trying to put real coherance to the plot or (even worse) trying to give the movie some meaning like most American 'comedies'. Of course, my opinion may be skewed because I was stoned when I watched that movie.

Danarchy said in an Old Post 02-18-02 18:56:

I saw the Kung Pow previews, and I didn't find a single scene even mildly amusing, except for the gopher-chucks thing. But that was just because it fit right in with this inside joke among my friends and I. It fit in so well it was almost eerie...

Mmm hmm... now you say it's hilarious, eh? ;)

No no, you're right. Dan outright contradicts himself to win arguments no one asked him to join. PWNT

Bucket said:

No no, you're right. Dan outright contradicts himself to win arguments no one asked him to join. PWNT

Most people do that actually...they're not thinking of what they said in a previous argument when they're trying to win the current one.

Technician said:

My friends wounder why I never found scary movie 2-4 funny.

You almost say that as if you enjoyed the first one. The first one was painfully unfunny, it just wasn't as bad as the sequels.

Those movies are so low-brow that they make Jackass look mature.

There hasn't been a straight up COMEDY in about a decade. every modern comedy has this serious twist near the end, which technically makes it a dramedy (drama/comedy).

I don't see why there aren't more comedies like Animal House or Blues Brothers. Those movies never get serious, they're funny the whole way through like comedies are supposed to be.

Bucket said:

Uhh...

1). That was like 2 years before I saw the movie, so that was just my opinion based off the trailer.

2). That was one of like a half dozen times I predicted how a movie would be and was wrong. (I've seen so many I swear I've developed a 6th sense.)

3). This was 4 years ago and I was a very different person then.

4). That's just weird that he was able to find that post. o_o

5). Like I said, I was stoned when I saw the movie, so for all I know it could be boring as hell when sober.

Aseph said:

I don't see why there aren't more comedies like Animal House or Blues Brothers. Those movies never get serious, they're funny the whole way through like comedies are supposed to be.

You just listed 2 of my top 10 favorite comedies ever. RIP John Belushi. :(

Danarchy said:

Uhh...

1). That was like 2 years before I saw the movie, so that was just my opinion based off the trailer.

2). That was one of like a half dozen times I predicted how a movie would be and was wrong. (I've seen so many I swear I've developed a 6th sense.)

3). This was 4 years ago and I was a very different person then.

4). That's just weird that he was able to find that post. o_o

5). Like I said, I was stoned when I saw the movie, so for all I know it could be boring as hell when sober.

I remember how I was talking about how unfunny and shitty Kung Pow was but everyone yelled at me. Then I remembered you saying it was stupid then now you're saying it was funny. But hey, you said you were stoned when you saw it, so I guess that just proves my statement wrong, right? ;)

Danarchy said:

RIP John Belushi. :(

Yeah, doesn't that suck? All the talented people everyone loves end up dead, and assholes like 50 Cent can get shot nine times and survive. The world isn't fair.

Oh, and Kung Pow is probably the best movie in the world to see stoned. I watched Kung Pow stoned with some friends one time, and I have never laughed harder in my whole life. I was laughing so hard that I was starting to get nervous because I couldn't catch my breath.

Aseph said:

There hasn't been a straight up COMEDY in about a decade. every modern comedy has this serious twist near the end, which technically makes it a dramedy (drama/comedy).

Blazing Saddles or Airplane didn't take themselves serious at all, yet there was some sort of plot. But even movies like Austin Powers and Happy Gilmore are like that. What do you mean by "serious twist"? The fact that every scene doesn't try to be overly hilarious?

Because slapstick has been done to death. As have lighthearted typical Sandler-esque romantic comedy "date movies".

My opinion is that the best ones are the unintentional comedies. Movies that don't bill themselves as laff riots and don't employ comedic gags. Many of them end up being very funny. Like Fight Club, House of 1000 Corpses, Lock Stock, Belly and a bunch of other ones I don't need to name off.

Austin Powers and Happy Gilmore absolutely fit onto that list, although I wouldn't consider any Adam Sandler movie a "comedy" because he has never made me laugh in the history of his career.

The fact that they're slapstick comedies (which Blues Brothers is certainly not, by the way) makes no difference. Comedies are supposed to make you laugh, hence the term "comedy". I don't go to a comedy movie wanting to see twenty to thirty minutes of the movie taken up by some emotional struggle, but that's usually what I get. And that sucks.

Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison were pretty funny but beyond that it’s just so boring. Adam Sandler can take any story line from Billionaire to Football story lines and make them one note.

Whoa why did we suddenly start talking about good comedy? We all know Beerfest is in the cheap laughs league. I mean you go to McDonalds, you don't get steak right?

I don't have a problem with cheap laughs every now and then. At least it's honest. What I do wish there was more of in that sort-of area is spoofs like Naked Gun. Those films were good, well 33½ was a bit crap, but still.

pritch said:

I mean you go to McDonalds, you don't get steak right?

I just don't go to McDonalds.

Technician said:

Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison were pretty funny but beyond that it’s just so boring. Adam Sandler can take any story line from Billionaire to Football story lines and make them one note.

Um...okay, Adam Sandler is in love with this girl...and she’s like, a golden retriever...or something.