Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Not Taking Forever

>freelancer touch

Yep, that's a nice thing and I like TES series (until and including MW) but my problem is that you don't reach anything with it. No short path, no item, no easteregg. You end up stuck in front of a wall to high to jump on/over. Doesn't lead to anywhere. So that was a little frustrating from time to time.
Or, in other words: you have to follow a railroaded path. There are just alluring "doors" but if you open them there's a wall behind them. Kinda.

Well... um... hrm... I... I have no fucking clue what I just played. But I liked it.

Csonicgo said:

I wonder what the Original id guys would think of this TC.

Probably "interesting, good concept, very atmospheric, will definitely be great once it's finished, but why did he use that ancient engine instead of something more modern with more capabilities and better graphics and less limitations?". ;)

Or if he had been working with the half-life engines he'd be hired by valve to complete the trilogy and then delay the game for about seven years. Hahaha.

I still can't get Foreverhood to run. I've downloaded 1.0, extracted it into its own folder and run the .bat file but I keep getting the message that Zdoom can't find a Wad to run.

Obviously if I put in DOOMII, it runs that and not Foreverhood. Any advice?

(thanks!)

Juras, Right-click on the bat file and select edit. Inside should be this line "zdoom -iwad base/main.wad -file base/data.wad -config base/foreverhood.ini" and then check that you have everything in that base folder. Alternatively you could edit the bat so it looks in the main directory.

See if that helps.

Thanks, I figured out the problem.

After making my way to the Badlands in Foreverhood, I have to say that I am very impressed with what was done on this prehistoric engine. The art design is fantastic and the music fits the atmosphere of the game wonderfully.

Some things I noted about the game play were this:

In the first level I was attacked by swarms of floating heads and nothing else. The fighting got a little repetitious and I found myself bored. I didn't like how the heads swarmed around you and spawned in both front and behind you. Also only having two weapons at the beginning didn’t help either. A little more weapon/ enemy variety will help, especially since the dusty valley took so long to get through. If all other levels are like the dusty valley then I can see the combat getting stale.

Whenever I spoke with a NPC, I was attacked from behind. I couldn't get critical information without having to move away from the character to fight off another horde.

Dialog from important characters is really just elongated speeches on where next to go. Maybe a little bit of character development would help out and make them/ what they have to say more interesting and engaging?

The sound effects aren't finished -- I am also wondering, what you plan on doing with the sound effects? I think that's a huge realm unexplored.

Overall, I didn't mind just wandering around the linear levels and taking in the scenery/ talking with the people. I liked the amount of history you put into the world too. The story has got me very interested and I hope that as I play the game it will give me motivation to become good or bad. I think it is important that I really care about the world I am trying to save. I look forward to finishing the game but I can tell already that this is a beautiful mod and a job well done.

I'd subscribe most of juras_avis' points esp. being attacked when talking... may be realistic but isn't nice.
But I'd not subscribe that "ancient" or "prehistoric".
Zdoom isn't that old, it's in active development and then I wonder what (besides graphics) could be done better in a newer engine. And if editing DooM 3 (e.g.) is easier than doing zdoom work. Besides that, zdoom works on most PCs today on different operating systems. Can't tell that from HL2 or something. (Mkay, DooM3 runs on Lin & Mac, but that's our masters at id).

Version 1.1 has been released. Heres a quick blurb on some of the changes found:

Overall:

• Upgraded data packaging to .pk3
  • Added compatibility code for zdoom 2.1.6 and gzdoom 2.0.21
  • Beta support for opengl rendering. Some elements still broken (see list below)

Changes

• Added name support to identify talking actors
  • Added in signs to talking actor code.
  • Converted dehacked code into decorate definitions
  • Removed dehacked patch
  • Fixed Hub dialog and fade in problems. They are now fully functional.
  • Added in dialog speed changer from old code.
  • Cut scenes that require normal text speed now behave properly when a faster speed is set
  • Talking Nuus now randomize their behavior between chasing and wondering as not to bunch up together.
  • Added in death script for grace and elegance.
  • Monsters now deactivate when player talks to characters (except for fireballs)
  • Added super monsters. (Colored monsters are faster and stronger than regular monsters)

Bug fixes:

• Fixed tree script would clear the line special before validating which weapon the player was using.
  • Running out of ammo caused odd results when player had karma of full good or full evil. The fix now declares the player as a neutral character and returns the plain fists.
  • all caves now have block-monster flag set
  • HUD messages now appear centered in title map for all resolutions
  • fixed karma printer for the badlands to display a graphic when entering the map
  • cleaned up maps to contain only demo related material.
  • cleaned up ACS libraries and updated various code.
  • Added some new visual eye candy.
Hopefully this will balance out the bugs and issues people had with the 1.0 release. It should be noted that this release contains gzdoom 2.0.21. While it makes foreverhood look pretty, it has some issues with hi-res textures (most notably the camera texture signs) so this release is also imperfect. Whatever, its better than nothing.

Well, given it's an old beta and not so much anything else I wouldn't of expected anything else out of it. While it is far to early to really ask, do you have a planned length or just a wait and see approach?