Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

XWE Queries

Hi there, Csabo. Or Rex, I don't know. Hopefully one of you can answer my queries about XWE, which I love, by the way.

So;
1) Why does it keep rotating by 90 degrees any image I load up that's 64x64? I don't mind this happening with FLATS but with patches, it's a pain in the gut. Any way to stop this...?

2) Related to images, whenever I load up a 24 bit bitmap, XWE converts it nicely to Doom's palette (Good job there), but it seems that the format isn't correct. What AM I doing wrong? Doom displays a black screen instead of my titlepic, and boots me out to dos with flats and patches.

Well, anyway - I love the program. Honestly. Only problem I have is when editing lumps with the text editor, my usual method of copy-pasting (CTRL-C etc.) copies the entry. Can't you make some way of shifting the 'focus' of the program from the entries window to the text window, and vice versa?

It's no real problem, but I hate having to paste things with the RMB menu - it's just barbaric! :D

Anyway, thanks in advance :)

1) Why does it keep rotating by 90 degrees any image I load up that's 64x64? I don't mind this happening with FLATS but with patches, it's a pain in the gut. Any way to stop this...?

Turn your head you lazy goosecap :)

Turn your head you lazy goosecap :)

Just imagine if it was rotating 270 degrees.

But seriously, Jay, Csabo is the best person to answer your questions. I've not encountered the problems you describe.

JayT is correct. 64x64 is hardcoded to always be a flat - plus it does the rotate. Seems color index 251 is also converted to "black"?

Color conversions are always interesting. Since I spent quite some time there myself, I compared PSP, DeePsea and XWE 24bit color conversions to the DOOM palette.

DeePsea is about the same as PSP in the images I tested. XWE is more like Wintex. Depends somewhat on the type of image selected as to what you will "see". Subtle tone shifts are the main difference.

Thanks for the nice comments :-)

1) This is a problem: when XWE loads bitmaps, it checks whether the size is 64x64. And if it's so, it will load it up as a floor/ceiling lump instead of a Doom format image. I guess I should ask the user which one they want, or build in a way to switch the format back and forth between image/floor.

2) This probably happens because of the alignment. If you load any bitmap, XWE aligns it like a sprite (kind of). For a titlepic, make sure that the alignment is 0,0. Let me know if that was it.