Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leileilol

GZdoom lighting

Replace occurances of GL_CLAMP with GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE.

Problem solved.

(Nvidia's drivers "assumed" this since 1998, as well as ATI's until they fixed that in 2001 making quake3 look a bit hokey)

Nvidia's opengl support assumes too much and lets bad coding and misuse of GL extensions slip by;

ATI follows the strict standards of OpenGL and lets errors show when there IS a true error, thus giving it a bad name in the GZDoom circle.

I find it quite hilarious when Legacy and the old ZDoomGL runs better than this modern port.

Now I remember why I hate Nvidia so much. Blaming every other OpenGL error on ATI is very shortsighted. These texture and lighting bugs affect Intel chipsets, ATI Chipsets, S3 Chipsets, but not Nvidia. Why? Hint: it isn't because "ATI SUCKS"!

Problem not solved.

The texture problems are most likely caused by improper handling of non-power-of-2 textures on hardware that doesn't support that feature (which means older NVidia cards and all ATI cards - yes, ATI sucks so much that they still refuse to implement a mandatory GL 2.0 feature!) GZDoom has never used GL_CLAMP due to the ugly artifacts it creates.

@CSonicgo: You don't have a clue. ATI is notorious for buggy GL drivers. Do I need to mention the fog issue that has been discussed a year ago?
Please don't tell me that ATI is doing it right when it comes to GL. Because it is well known that they don't!

Why that excuse? Can't bind your lighting to 128x128 or higher like a real engine (aka everything else)?

More like a case of lazy coding if you ask me. Buying a 7900 just to play zdoom accellerated with 3d floors. What's wrong with THAT picture?

You are not making any sense whatsoever.

And one more thing: Due to the amount of insults I got for this release I am seriously considering to take a longer break from developing GZDoom and leave you with this buggy version. You are certainly not motivating me to fix this.

Don't you just hate when people rip into a port you're very involved in?

I hate being insulted by emails or PMs. You have no idea how strongly a few individuals have overreacted - mostly showing in the process that they have no clue what is going on.

Graf Zahl said:

And one more thing: Due to the amount of insults I got for this release I am seriously considering to take a longer break from developing GZDoom and leave you with this buggy version. You are certainly not motivating me to fix this.

Close the source while you're at it!

why are you using non power of 2 textures all of a sudden? GZdoom did WONDERFUL with OpenGL 1.0+ and now it seems I'll have to buy a card that can play quake 34132 so I can see some lights? lights that Legacy could do in 2000, on my ATI RAGE PRO?

Heh.

If that's so important to you, why do you continue to use GZDoom.
Apparently ZDoom fits your requirements just fine.

Psycho Siggi said:

If that's so important to you, why do you continue to use GZDoom.
Apparently ZDoom fits your requirements just fine.

Why is that so important to me?

First, it'd be nice to know when the requirements of the port go up,

Second: I don't like being told that the errors I'm experiencing that I've never even seen before is because of my "video card". Why would something that worked perfectly in one version quit working completely in the next? It's not because my card all of a sudden stopped working correctly!

And before anyone says it, the answer "well we're moving forward" doesn't quite cut it. These are clearly bugs, and buying an XTREEEME gfx card just to make these bugs less apparent isn't solving the problem.

Csonicgo said:

why are you using non power of 2 textures all of a sudden? GZdoom did WONDERFUL with OpenGL 1.0+ and now it seems I'll have to buy a card that can play quake 34132 so I can see some lights? lights that Legacy could do in 2000, on my ATI RAGE PRO?

Heh.

Not all of a sudden. I have been supporting them since I got a graphics card that can handle them. They are not a requirement and the bug was caused because on hardware that couldn't support them a function got called that shouldn't have been called. Due to this the non-power-of-two textures, Doom has a lot of (nearly all the sprites and menu graphics) were not created correctly.

The problem with ATI is just that they still refuse to implement a mandatory GL 2.0 feature into their hardware and the error didn't show on modern NVidia cards because there I don't need to bother with scaling such textures or filling them up with empty space.

But if you buy ATI you have to prepare yourself for the occasional GL glitch. I had to put a lot of compensation code into the engine just to counter some of the inefficiencies in ATI's hardware. On NVidia I can use some considerably faster rendering code but on ATI it will exhibit severe glitches and the only workaround costs a lot of processing power.

Most importantly some rendering imprecisions. If you go to the menu and set rendering quality to 'Speed' you may get a lot of white dots. This happens when edges of polygons don't match exactly. But on my Geforce 6800 I don't see them. Apparently the internal coordinate precision is higher. The not so nice side effect of having to handle this is a noticably lowered performance because the amount of polygons has to be higher.

One issue I wasn't able to handle is a bug in ATI's fog code. Apparently when large polygons are clipped at screen borders some fog information is being set incorrectly.

There were a few other things without much of a performance hit so I don't remember them precisely anymore.

I don't want, that GZDoom has turned to Vavoom or to the latest betas of DoomsDay. They don't work on ATI at all (crappy big particles) ATI has half of market and you should reckon with it always. If you don't reckon with it your game is a shit for me :( I do not have any problems with ATI with any other games except some Doom ports. If ATI does not support something, you should not use it.

P.S. GZDoom 1.0.17 works perfectly on my ATI. Still.

I don't want, that GZDoom has turned to Vavoom or to the latest betas of DoomsDay.

Thats news to me. None of our users have reported any rendering errors what so ever in the Doomsday1.9.0 betas other than minor glitches with the new bias lighting model.

Please do provide us with details and we will investigate.

DaniJ said:

Please do provide us with details and we will investigate.

IIRC, it happened with DoomsDay for me, not with Risen3D. I check it again and send you PM.

1.0.20 apparently works again. It was merely a small programming bug that caused some textures to be created incorrectly. The only reason that only ATI cards were affected is that the bug didn't show when the hardware had support for non-power-of-two textures. The error was in the code that determined whether to scale the texture to the next power of two or to fill it with empty space. Obviously that code never got executed on a Geforce 6xxx or better.

As for ATI and Doom, I have the feeling that ATI has no interest in keeping old features working properly that aren't used by modern software anymore. That's the only thing that would explain the persistence of the depth fog bug.

Graf Zahl said:

I hate being insulted by emails or PMs. You have no idea how strongly a few individuals have overreacted - mostly showing in the process that they have no clue what is going on.

I am chocked!!!
How is it possible to insult someone giving for free his spare time?!?

I need to thank you a lot, because your work makes me so happy that I don't have enough words to tell it.
I have already converted some good mappers, which are now mapping for GZDoom.

GZDoom is THE ultimate port, and it's brilliantly coded!!!

I have a deep respect for men like you, who are able to give without anything to wait in return, and who have courage to pass through the lacks of respect and the imbecilities uttered by morons.

Be assured that your work makes happy a great number of people!!! And that's the only important thing to have in your mind...

Merci beaucoup!
And do accept my apologies if sometimes, I piss you off.

About Ati, I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro with the very latest drivers, and I don't have any problem at all, in any case none which I would be able to detect.