Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

[zdoom][linux] Compiles flawlessly!

Not any system with Leenucks, though, right? Just the Intel ones, I imagine, judging by the nasm requirement.

Err, sorry if this sounds too negative, I'm just curious because I have a certain PPC-predominant platform in mind here as a possible future port, if someone's already done the dirty work of making the code endian-neutral.

Neil said:

Not any system with Leenucks, though, right? Just the Intel ones, I imagine, judging by the nasm requirement.

x86 plattform only, unless you rewrite the assembler stuff.
But AFAIK there are some fallback routines in there.

Neil said:

Err, sorry if this sounds too negative, I'm just curious because I have a certain PPC-predominant platform in mind here as a possible future port, if someone's already done the dirty work of making the code endian-neutral.

zDoom on Apple?
I thought they switched to x86 some time ago.
If you thought about Amiga, forget it, i cant imagine an Amiga with enough megahurtz to use zDoom. (Unless you mean Pegasos or AmigaOne ;) )

Bastet Furry said:
zDoom on Apple?
I thought they switched to x86 some time ago.
If you thought about Amiga, forget it, i cant imagine an Amiga with enough megahurtz to use zDoom. (Unless you mean Pegasos or AmigaOne ;) ) [/B]

Well, most or all NEW Apple machines include Intel processors, but writing software for the Mac platform means supporting both architectures for years to come.

Its called compiling a universal binary. However I can't think of any assembly compiler for apple so...

Bastet Furry said:

zDoom on Apple?

fghkjfkhjlglkjhf;fgkghflkj *sputters*

Neil, if you can make it happen, I will <3 you forever and ever until the end of time.

EDIT: I will also supply three (3) internet cookies.

esselfortium said:

fghkjfkhjlglkjhf;fgkghflkj *sputters*

Neil, if you can make it happen, I will <3 you forever and ever until the end of time.

EDIT: I will also supply three (3) internet cookies.

It's not all that likely. Well, it could happen, but for it to happen someone has to point me to a megawad that is guaranteed to thrill me as much as Memento Mori or Doom 2, but requires ZDoom.

That way I'd HAVE to port it, heh.

Neil said:

It's not all that likely. Well, it could happen, but for it to happen someone has to point me to a megawad that is guaranteed to thrill me as much as Memento Mori or Doom 2, but requires ZDoom.

That way I'd HAVE to port it, heh.

Hmm. They're not megawads, but...Action Doom? RTC-3057? Void? Foreverhood?

esselfortium said:

Hmm. They're not megawads, but...Action Doom? RTC-3057? Void? Foreverhood?

Well, I just took a look at ZDoom from subversion today. My goodness. I don't know exactly what the point is of these section instructions to the linker, but that stuff is rather non-portable. At least, the assembler here didn't like it when generating i386 or PPC binaries, so it must be some ELF-specific silliness going on.

So I have to lower the chances of my porting ZDoom to zero unless all that is removed or optionalized.

Edit: Ahh, now I'm curious enough to try contacting some ZDoom people and see just what on earth is going on there, heh.

Edit 2: For the curious, randy over at ZDoom nailed the problem, and the port is progressing. Next steps are likely a replacement of the FMOD-using code, and the addition of byte swaps.

ZDoom on an ARM processor(GP2X) would be excellent. We've got PRBoom which is good, but ZDoom would be the icing on the cake.