Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMENSTEIN

Where were you...

...when they built the ladder to heaven? :P

Okay, but seriously...do you remember where you were/what you were doing on this day 5 years ago? How it effected you and that sorta thing?

I do, but I don't see what difference it makes. It's like saying, "Do you remember where you were when Kennedy got shot?" It's all the same thing. National tragedies = huge media rampage + enraged citizens with no lives + hippies. Nothing new here.
Besides, anniversaries are just anniversaries. They don't really do anything except take up space on your calendar.

I got laid-off from a temp job a week prior, so I was unemployed at the time...Thus I slept until midday. Went over to a friends house, got stoned and we didn't find out what was going on until later that night. We drove to the one gas station in town and found about 40 cars all lined up trying to get gas from 3 pumps. There was a somewhat incompetent deputy trying to manage the parked traffic. He wandered over to my car, we asked him what was up and he told us.

Since i was in California... I think it was around 7:30am when I woke up and saw the news reports about the first plane crashing into the World Trade Center. At first, I thought it was an accident. Then obviously, the second plane crashed into the other Tower... I was sick to my stomach thinking that sick fucks would do that shit.

I wish heroes like Lizardcommando existed so he could have teleported inside the planes and destroyed those fuckers who wanted to cause all of this pain and destruction. Yeah, I wish Berzerker happened and he saved the day.

Man, I just finished a huge reply to a similar question on my friend's livejournal. I don't feel like repeating it, nor copy+pasting it (I'd use a slightly different tone). But I guess I can summarize.

I remember waking up and my sister said a plane hit the WTC. I thought it was an accident but I turned on the news (as I did every morning before school) and it was readily apparent that it was deliberate. The first thing I thought about was that Lone Gunmen episode. The second thing I thought was "well it finally happened". America's foreign policy had been going downhill and I had figured it would be a matter of time before someone decided to get back at us.

Anyway, when I got to school me and my friends discussed it a bunch and basically came to the same conclusion: that it was the inevitable outcome of our nation's foreign economy.

Anyway, yeah it sucked and I wondered if the world was coming to the end or somehting, but what really pissed me off was all the sudden jingoism that was sweeping the nation. It pissed me fof then when I was all anti-American emo teenager, and it pisses me off even more today now that I learned to love the country but distrust the government. Jefferson and Franklin are spinning in their graves.

I was in my 8:00 a.m. English 9th grade class when the school heard the news. Pretty much every class that had a TV (for announcements) had it tuned in but we still had normal class sessions.
I remember the time after the 1st plane hit and before the 2nd vividly because I really didn't think much of it at the moment. I didn't know how important 1 (or 2 for that matter) WTC was and like a lot of people thought it was a freak accident or something.
When the 2nd plane hit, everybody watching was like oh shit; again I didn't know what the importance of the WTC was, but the intention of attack on the US by plane crashes shocked pretty much everybody.
When they started collapsing, everybody was watching the news for the rest of the school hours.

I was at history class, the school made an announcement about it but made it seem like it was minor, the day went on like any other school day. Havent really thought about it until now, it's sort of wrong what that they decieved us.

I woke up, went to school. As the day went on, everyone got all sketchy. My science teacher made time to point out what happened that morning and we had a little class debate. I went home, saw my mom watching the news coverage on TV, and I laughed my ass off. I don't really remember the rest of the day; I probably just chilled, listened to music, drew stuff, and the such.

In maths. They definetly didnt want to tell us (so as to keep the school day going) but somehow someone found out. Still didn't do much to the school day.

I do remember the annoucement over the intercom saying "Teachers you have an urgent message in your inbox, please check it NOW"

I was at home, still waiting to start my first degree at college. BBC1 switched to live news pretty quickly, so I saw the second hit live and that's when people began to realise it was deliverate and everyone went cold.

I had to go to the dentist a bit later and I remember telling her one tower had collapsed, she didn't believe me so she turned on her radio.

When I walked home people were driving around and walking around with a dazed look on their face, desperate to get home I think and put the news on.

My reflection on the anniversary is on my website.

I was sleeping since it happened during the middle of the night. When I woke up several hours later, mum told me about it and I was like "oh, ok".

zap610 said:

I was at history class, the school made an announcement about it but made it seem like it was minor, the day went on like any other school day. Havent really thought about it until now, it's sort of wrong what that they decieved us.

Same. My school didn't make a huge deal of it.

I was posting here, and probably complaining to Zaldron that he needed to finish the boss. He got out of it that morning by redirecting me to the news, but I suppose he had a good excuse that time.

Me and a friend had the day off, so were in the pub.

Found out when someone told the bar guy who put the news on the big screen normally reserved for sport. Oh and it's also my brother's birthday too, poor sod.

Asleep. Dad woke me up with a phone call 'AMERICA IS UNDER ATTACK AMERICA IS UNDER ATTACK' Hung up, turned on news, saw it was way in New York, went back to sleep.

I was in school during the time. It was the break between second and third periods and someone had turned on one of the classroom TV's, exlcaiming that "Someone is attack the US1 They're crazy!". I hadn't thought much of it and went to science class as usual. Then, the teacher started getting calls ten minutes into the class and kids started leaving. Eventually, my mom called and had me come home too, and it was when I got home that I fully understood what was happening. I didn't think much about it for the rest of the day.

I was in school, I saw it on TV. I figured it was an accident, a plane hits a large building, maybe the pilot was drunk, whatever. Then I went to another class and watched more TV, watched the second plane hit live, as it soared through the air I realized this was no accident, it was totally deliberate. I was like "Holy shit, we're under attack."

Some kid was like "OMG we should bomb Iraq." which is kind of funny because he was slightly retarded and so is the person that had the same thought that day...

I thought it was more likely some American terrorists, because I didn't know about the 1993 WTC bombing and knew very little about suicide bombers in Israel.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

My cousin was in the twin towers. I guess it's only funny when it's not happening to you, huh?

A sense of humor is a good way to get through hard times. Can we not laugh about cancer, AIDS, homicide, suicide, and every other way people die or get killed? I have family members who died of cancer, and that's no better than getting killed on 9/11. But you don't see me getting offended when someone makes a cancer joke.

Lighten up.

I was waiting outside for the bus to come. My dad came outside laughing his ass off and told us a plane just hit of the the WTC buildings, keep in mind he thought it was an accident at the time. After I got to school it had become obvious what was going on. They ushered the whole school into the library to watch the news after that. Needless to say, I was hoping some revolutionary group in the US was finally getting ready to rise. Otherwise, I just took advantage of the fuck off time (it got me outside for a few cigarettes).

9/11 didn't really effect me too much. I didn't develop any sort of patriotism for another two years.

GGG said:

A sense of humor is a good way to get through hard times. Can we not laugh about cancer, AIDS, homicide, suicide, and every other way people die or get killed? I have family members who died of cancer, and that's no better than getting killed on 9/11. But you don't see me getting offended when someone makes a cancer joke.

Lighten up.

No, but I feel you have a right to get upset and you don't deserve to get any flak for it. Of course I've laughed at death before, but if someone spoke up and asked me not to talk about it, I'd apologize and not do it again. That's what I did...don't tell me to lighten up.

I took 9/11 lightly too before I found out my family was involved, but someone "laughing [their] ass off" is sick, and I don't appreciate that. But I've done it before myself, so I gave him a warning to be fair. And what do you care anyway? I wasn't talking to you...

I left early from a CompSci class (a no-hearted stab at a career I dropped in the next following weeks), came home, and felt inmensely compelled to put on CNN for some international news. The footage of the first collapse showed up but a few seconds after.

Felt a mixture of sadness and got-what-they-deserve, not to mention the utmost fascination for such a world turning AND catastrophic event, a combination that gets the heart racing.

That turned into anger when the networks decided to air old footage of cheering Middle West inhabitants, and gloomy contemplation of the human stupidity.

These days I wonder exactly how much both the higher spheres and underground revolutionaries toyed with my emotions. How much misinformation was spread.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

No, but I feel you have a right to get upset and you don't deserve to get any flak for it. Of course I've laughed at death before, but if someone spoke up and asked me not to talk about it, I'd apologize and not do it again. That's what I did...don't tell me to lighten up.

I took 9/11 lightly too before I found out my family was involved, but someone "laughing [their] ass off" is sick, and I don't appreciate that. But I've done it before myself, so I gave him a warning cuz that wouldn't be fair. And what do you care anyway? I wasn't talking to you...

Oh come on. That's pretty much like the same thing you did here. (yeah I know you were being sarcastic, but it still counts)

DOOMENSTEIN Said in an Old Post 08-24-06 20:35

Lizardcommando said:

Yeah, I wonder about the same thing. It also pisses me off too.

If he hated everyone so much, he should have just left this world by ending his own life and not take anyone else's life with him.

That's no fun...

DOOMENSTEIN said:

That's what I did...don't tell me to lighten up.

Okay. Lighten up... please.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

And what do you care anyway? I wasn't talking to you...

I read your post, and I responded to it. If you're looking for a private conversation, I recommend using Private Messaging.