Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

The worst Fiction that you ever Read?

Grazza said:
So bad it was funny, so in a sense that made it not the worst fiction I've ever read, sort of.

Sounds like some of those "joke wads".

Personally, I don't really remember. Maybe some paperback novel I forgot about, maybe some junk in a fan site or a magazine of something, or perhaps the first DOOM novel. I usually just dump and forget what I'm not liking. But overall I think I've had more bad experiences (i.e., dropping out of dislike or tedium) with nonfiction than with fiction.

There are all sorts of "classics" I tried reading but they were just tedious as Hell: Picture of Dorian Gray, Crime and Punishment, Bridge of the San Luis Rey (or something like that), several Shakespere plays. It's not that I dislike classic fiction (I like Steinbeck, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and even Chaucer) or stuff that's too 'heady' (Dune or Lolita), but those were very boring.

I think the worst fiction in the most technical sense comes from our very own fanfics forum:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37467

Goat said:

lord of the flies

Die.

Possibly "Alberte and Jakob" by Cora Sandel. Page after page of seemingly endless drivel. Supposedly has "deeper" meaning (Alberte feels cold all the time; maybe it's not because the weather is chilly but because she doesn't like her life? Took me a couple of sentences to figure it out, but it takes the author 300 pages to further elaborate on the subject).

You're all philistines, citing classics like that. For shame.

As the only Engrish major here I'd like to suggest the entire doomworld forums are the worst fiction ever.

Serious choice: Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. Awful in almost every way.

pritch said:

You're all philistines, citing classics like that. For shame.

As the only Engrish major here I'd like to suggest the entire doomworld forums are the worst fiction ever.

Serious choice: Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. Awful in almost every way.

Yes because being a classic automatically makes it good!

zarkyb said:

Yes because being a classic automatically makes it good!

Almost always, yes.

Every great lady has her charm zark, you just have to know where to find it.

See being an English major also means I can steal cheesey lines from Star Trek and make them worse.

Shit fiction is ten a penny. It's more depressing for me when a good author fucks it up for some bizarre reason. Terry Prattchet in particular has a real, real bad habbit of chugging along nicely till he gets to the end and then totally screwing the pooch in the last 20 pages. So does Robert Rankin.

If you enjoy watching trains in preperation for them becoming wrecks, I can heartily recommend Harris' latest piece of shit, Hannibal Lector: Behind the Mask. As one of the people who actually *liked* the Hannibal novel, I am awaiting the next installment in the series with something akin to dread. We are talking Hannibal Lector in a batman suit laying down the law on Nazi war criminals, having been taught by his sexy japanese aunt the way of the samurai.

Also, any book that is being written at the same time as the film of the book is actually being filmed... I mean, jesus. Could Harris not wait a year before claiming his movie money?

The worst thing I ever read was a bad translation of a French sex novel

"fruggle me fruggle me she cridled!
As the hot sponge ran down her thigs and uncles
She was in exeter."

Most anything on fanfiction.net, especially for animes since those are usually beyond repair in the first place.

Danarchy said:

Crime and Punishment

I'm not alone it seems.

I just couldn't stand how the main character was a complete moron.

Pretty much the same reason why I hated The Trial.

I had great expectations of the book with the same name. I was so disgusted by it that I set the damn thing on fire when I was camping.

EllipsusD said:

I had great expectations of the book with the same name. I was so disgusted by it that I set the damn thing on fire when I was camping.

I actually enjoyed that. Especially the part about Ms. Havisham's robotic monkeys.

What the fuck, with all the immense shit one can find in amateur or commercial fiction I'm surprised what some people are posting here. Maybe they read only canonic masterpieces, heh.

Anyway, this thread reminds me I had reading Crime and Punishment in mind.

I tend to block bad reads out of my memory, so I don't remember mine. Probably something by Jane Austen.

myk said:

What the fuck, with all the immense shit one can find in amateur or commercial fiction I'm surprised what some people are posting here. Maybe they read only canonic masterpieces, heh.

Anyway, this thread reminds me I had reading Crime and Punishment in mind.

They're trying to look edgy and controversial. Quoting the odd fanfiction site here and there would be way too easy.

That said, Charles Dickens is obnoxious.