Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dittohead

Manage Your Lumps

...with a new lump editing utility brought to you by SlayeR, aptly named SLumpED. SLumpED allows the end user to cut/copy/paste lumps within a wad or across multiple wads, open multiple wadfiles at once in tabs, and all the basic features you'd expect from a wad lump manager. Even better, the source is available as well so expect improvements into the future. The current version is 0.5 beta1 and you can read more about the development here.

esselfortium said:

SlayeR, you are such an awesome guy that words cannot even express how much of an awesome guy you are.

QFT. I wonder if SLumpED will be integrated optionally with the next SLADE? That'd be stellar.

Isn't that small window below the patches (when editing the texture lump) supposed to show a preview of the patch?

It's always black to me as well. Some basic stuff that might be worth adding are the ability to remember directories you saved to or opened from, and recently opened files, plus an About menu.

myk said:

It's always black to me as well. Some basic stuff that might be worth adding are the ability to remember directories you saved to or opened from, and recently opened files, plus an About menu.

Weird, what wad are you editing, just doom2.wad? Also it should remember directories anyway because it uses the normal windows file selection dialog, and there is already a 'recent files' menu.

SlayeR said:
Weird, what wad are you editing, just doom2.wad?

It was doom.wad, but then I tried doom2.wad and a PWAD (equinox.wad), and the result was the same. I did discover something, though; if I select a texture in the TEXTURE1 list and then a patch in the accompanying PNAMES list that is also part of that texture, the pic does appear in that little box. Otherwise (if I select a patch that is not present in the texture) it's black.

Also it should remember directories anyway because it uses the normal windows file selection dialog, and there is already a 'recent files' menu.

Could that be affected by the system? I'm on Windows 98, and SLumpEd always starts at the folder with the "my documents" function.

myk said:

It was doom.wad, but then I tried doom2.wad and a PWAD (equinox.wad), and the result was the same. I did discover something, though; if I select a texture in the TEXTURE1 list and then a patch in the accompanying PNAMES list that is also part of that texture, the pic does appear in that little box. Otherwise (if I select a patch that is not present in the texture) it's black.

Ok that's even more weird :P There is absolutely no reason why that should happen, looking at the code. It might be a wxwidgets/win98 problem of some sort. I'll setup a win98 VM and check it out.

myk said:

Could that be affected by the system? I'm on Windows 98, and SLumpEd always starts at the folder with the "my documents" function.

Could well do. I'll make it manually remember the last folder.

SlayeR said:

It might be a wxwidgets/win98 problem of some sort. I'll setup a win98 VM and check it out.

I'm not on Win98 and I got the problem. I'd try to compile it myself, but I'd probably die of a headache while writing a makefile.

Ok I figured it out, wasn't determining the patch lump type before loading it. For now you can fix it by setting 'determine_type_load' to 1 in slumped.cfg. I dunno why I set the default value to 0, but whatever.

I tried it, it's off to a very nice start. Simple, efficient, looks like it will be cross-platform (or already is?). Kudos!

I read the attached txt file:

SLumpEd is a wad lump management tool. Sure there are many of these out already, but this one I designed just to be simple, and to be able to import any kind of file as a lump, without the manager complaining and/or converting it to an undesirable format.

XWE can do that too, Entry|Load (raw data) let's you import anything as a lump. It also has a pretty simple (and similar) layout. Anyway, I just though I'd mention that, good luck with your project! :-)

Heh that description is pretty much straight from my old old lump manager SWad (or 'Lumpy' even). Back then I don't think that option was in XWE (or at least, not as easy to get to).

And yeah, the layout is based on XWE since that's what I'm used to :P Not to mention I always hated the Wintex UI.

Ya go SlayeR! Hey btw now that I'm settled in college I've been finishing up Underworld and it's really close to a release. (with your map in there still) Send me an IM on aim (sn: r8p) if you wanna see how it's coming along.

Sign in to follow this