• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dittohead

Vae Victus 2 Released *updated 10/30*

Vae Victus 2
Another new episode for Doom II

Introduction - Straight from the .txt
Vae Victus II is an all new level set for Doom 2 utilizing new graphics and music. The episode consists of 7 levels of varying themes and difficulty. The first Vae Victus was an attempt to honor the traditional gameplay of Alien Vendetta and other classic megawads; however, VV2 is a more balanced approach that provides challenging battles without the swarms of roaming enemies. The architecture is improved over last year's offering, and is more refined in it's concept and design. I am a classic doomer at heart, so I decided to keep this wad compatible with every source port that allows for limit removing. Co-op play is also supported, as are difficulty settings. In addition, every map can be beat from pistol starts.

If you enjoyed Vae Victus, I have no doubt that you'll enjoy Vae Victus II.

Screens

Download
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=14582

Now, with that out of the way, have fun.

Edit - Final version now released. Thanks to everyone who helped squash the bugs.

Neato.

This page seems to cater to signed-in readers only. Unless one has his 15x120" monitor handy.

Very sexy, though not as challenging as I had expected.

3 issues:

Is it me or is one of the secrets in map02 inaccessible?

What's up with the blue skull key on map05?

Fix the monster teleporters on map06, ATM they can be mind-numbingly slow, especially the manc one.

Dittohead said:

The blue skull key on map05 opens the final door out in the far east courtyard area. Is that what you were wondering?

Umm, there are no blue key doors or switches on map05.

Belial said:

Umm, there are no blue key doors or switches on map05.

Yes, you are correct. I completely forgot to change that final door to a blue door and switch over the linedef to a blue key locked door.

I'll have to make the appropriate adjustments and update the wad on the archive. Thanks for your observations.

As for the probably unintended third secret on map02, one of the crates in the RL secret is tagged as secret (sector 334).

Good wad, has great connectivity. A little on the easy side, but it's still fun to play regardless.

Dang. It's probably just because I suck at doom, but map05 totally kicked my ass. The 4.5 maps I've played, though, were quite awesome. I was going to say the same thing Spork said; everything is connected really well. Lots of revisiting places coming from different directions, with walls coming down and stuff. I like that a lot. My only two things to whine about are that it could have used some more ammo (I ran out of ammo at a lot of inopportune times...) and that some of the texture choices seemed a bit screwy. Overall pretty darn excellent.

Ah, Doom, distracting me from my school work for years to come... quite a fun and well-constructed episode. It is a bit relaxed (I was repeatedly surprised whenever a key or powerful weapon was grabbed and no trap was sprung) but still a nice run.

On the subject of odd bugs, incidentally, the first door on map07 is a damage sector. :)

Thanks for the kind words. I have made the appropriate fixes and it should be on the archives soon. It will replace the current file, so if the bugs are still bothering you, you can redownload it in a few days ;)

Just found another bug. While playing Map03, I was standing near the yellow door, and a monster on the other side opened it up. Other than that, this wad is amazing. I love it so far. :D

Amazing how all these bugs manage to come out of the woodwork after I release this thing ;)

I fixed the bug, but since I already uploaded an update to the wad I won't be able to over-write anything thats in incoming until its cleared out again. Just consider it a lucky break for now ;)

Well, I would recommend waiting a while before updating it again in case anyone else stumbles upon a bug. Otherwise you might end up updating the WAD 10 times.

Yeah thats probably for the best.

Edit - A newer version of VV2 is now on the archive that fixes most of the problems reported here (bad secrets, blue key on map05, damage sectors on map07, etc). Thanks again everyone.

2 minor visual glitches.

These torches in map05 'pop up' when you use the switch.

Heh. You can also fall down there with no means of escape.

I've played the maps from scratch and I think map05 could use a RL somewhere after the yellow key bars, otherwise those two boxes of rockets outside won't be too useful. OTOH map07 could use a berserk after the red key bars for some demon punching action.

I guess I should have asked you to be a beta tester :P

Well, I don't want to give Ty a huge headache so I'll wait 2 weeks before doing a final update. That way I'm sure all the bugs will be caught.

The firesticks glitch must only happen in BOOM because it didn't show up that way in Zdoom or doomsday when I tested.

Dittohead said:

The firesticks glitch must only happen in BOOM because it didn't show up that way in Zdoom or doomsday when I tested.

The same thing happens in vanilla as well.

BTW please remove the 3D mode starts for the next update, they make running the wad in Doom2+ a pain.

Edit: Another thing that breaks Doom2+ is sector 1366 in map06, which has a meaningless sector effect of 8005. Edit: DB reports 192 such sectors :P There are also 2 sectors with effect 8002.

Map07 has the same problem with effects 8002, 8005 and 8006.

Edit: It seems that one of the imps in map01 (thing 44) suffers from a reject lump error. It won't wake up unless you hurt it.

I noticed the 3dmode player starts and the bum secret in map2, but forgot to mention them :P

Mostly like i was caught up in my own doom.

Belial said:
BTW please remove the 3D mode starts for the next update, they make running the wad in Doom2+ a pain.

The best solution (aside from a fix from the author, of course) is applying this DeHackEd patch to a copy of the engine:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Thing 116 (Dead Lost Soul)
ID # = 32000

Dittohead said:

I guess I should have asked you to be a beta tester :P

Bel is one hell of a tester. He pointed out a crazy amount of coop bugs with do-tims that I fixed thanks to him.

A truly excellent wad ! :)

A few extra things I have noticed ...

Map 2 - Missing lower back texture on line 1359. Might be worth adding a lower back texture to lines 1355, 1352 and 1342 as well.

Map 6 - 1. Maybe wrong ceiling flat for sectors 612\613,614\615,610\611, 608\609, 618\619 and 616\617, 723\724, 725\726. ?

2. Maybe Wrong texture linedef 6112 and lower texture for front side of linedef 6111 unnecessary ?

3.Sector 1215 lower to -128 and give floor flat
LAVA1. Sector 1213 change floor flat to LAVA1. Texture on lines . Then textures on lines 5624, 5610, 5687, 5650 and 5669 cab be deleted.

4.Sectors 1234, 1229, 1219 etc. seem to serve no purpose.

5. Maybe wrong texture front lower on line 4832 ?

6. Maybe wrong ceiling flat sector 761 ?

Map 7 - Lines 3522, 3523 etc. have linedef tag 8 but no sector tag 8.

Still - 5 1/2 out of 5.

SlayeR said:

Hmm, map03 has nowhere near enough ammo, and I'm usually very conservative with it :P Other than that pretty awesome so far.

I find this a little weird, as I truely thought I had spoiled the player with ammo in most of the levels, including map03. I guess I don't place a lot of ammo in obvious places, I usually like to put it in areas that are a little off and in little nooks and such. At which area are you running out?

SlayeR said:

Hmm, map03 has nowhere near enough ammo, and I'm usually very conservative with it :P Other than that pretty awesome so far.

I'm inclined to agree. Though I don't run out of ammo, I usually exit with 2-4 shells and nothing else :P

Edit: Taking it slow left me with 20 shells and 100 bullets so I guess I must've been doing something wrong :P

I've also noticed that the windows connecting the outside with the room that has the switch that lowers the blue key aren't set to blocking. Is that intended?

The ones leading to the YK acid tunnel aren't blocking either. Now that's definitely not intended :P

The windows leading to the decorative acid pool in the south aren't blocking.