Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Psyrus

KB & mouse issues in ZDoom

When using ZDoom, there are very brief moments when the keyboard and the mouse stop responding. The amount of time is close to a half a second and happens at random intervals and can be annoying when in the middle of a battle. I first noticed this when using v2.0.96 and above. Other than that, I don't notice anything else occurring that's unusual. The problem doesn't seem to happen with any other programs or source ports. Whether if it's source port related or something on my side, what could be causing this?

Check if isn't happening when there are "palette" changes on your screen (red from pain, yellowish from pickups, etc.) or when sounds are sometimes played. It could be something between ZDoom and your graphics or sound cards. Also if you don't consistenly have some program running in the background.

Check the connections on your keyboard and mouse. If you're using a USB keyboard and mouse, try plugging them into different USB ports. I used to have a USB optical mouse that just wouldn't respond when it was plugged into a certain port.

I do remember brief lockups at times just before those "palette changes" and when sounds are played, but these keyboard and mouse lockups occur at random. There could be no sounds currently playing, and player movements I would perform would still be interrupted periodically. As for consistently running programs, I do have some real-time protection scanners running, namely those of Windows Defender and AntiVir.

I do use a USB optical mouse, but it seems that changing which USB port to use has no effect. Plus, this is a laptop, so as for the keyboard...yeah.

Lutarez said:

When using ZDoom, there are very brief moments when the keyboard and the mouse stop responding. The amount of time is close to a half a second and happens at random intervals and can be annoying when in the middle of a battle. I first noticed this when using v2.0.96 and above. Other than that, I don't notice anything else occurring that's unusual. The problem doesn't seem to happen with any other programs or source ports. Whether if it's source port related or something on my side, what could be causing this?

This happens to me, but it seems to only happen when i directly warp into a game using the commandline and/or run Winamp. I thought it was a Winamp plugin conflict, but my hotkeys are disabled and I'm apparently not the only one experiencing it. The keys don't stop responding, they get stuck instead.