Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

New Baron of Hell?

Well I've been meaning to say:
This looks WAY better than those ghost things (not that they aren't good, they just aren't Baronly enough...) I'd prefer this over them, and possibly use the ghoul things for a Mancubus or something fat and slow like that?

cchristianPunckgzsor said:

Well I've been meaning to say:
This looks WAY better than those ghost things (not that they aren't good, they just aren't Baronly enough...)

Those things don't look Barony at all.

cchristianPunckgzsor said:

I'd prefer this over them, and possibly use the ghoul things for a Mancubus or something fat and slow like that?

The Mancubus looks like a pile of mustard with guns and a mouth. Change both i say!

CGC002 said:
Those things don't look Barony at all.
The Mancubus looks like a pile of mustard with guns and a mouth. Change both i say!

Well... this is FreeDoom, not Doom, it can and should be different... I'm just saying, the sprite for the ghoul baron doesn't match the baron itself, and I think this works better. The Mancubus, or Slug, is ok... though we mightv give it a little more something...

Any news on this? And, could you make one version to replace the Hellknight, and another to replace the Baron?

I looked at it, and it does look like a halloween costume. For a monster that is supposed to be from another dimension, it has very human proportions. My first thought would be to shorten the legs, or give it different joint proportions, like a horse has.

The trunk and tusks look too much like elephant. Greco-roman mythology style monsters are not really going to fit in this dungeon, but it could be a start for a whole greco-roman mythology series.

Nice change from the other human-oriented appearance monsters (many have two legs, two arms, head, two eyes, etc.) Maybe a trunk with two or four fingers on the ends. Could do a trunk with different proportions, like very wide at the base, or a flare into something at the tip, or short, or sucker like (related to worm).
Maybe the tusks could taper differently, with flats at the tips, or tips that aim toward the front, or a double curve, or nasty hooks at the end.

I have been wanting to do something to differentiate the hell knight
and baron, beyond shading, which is much too hard to distinguish with all the lighting changes and dark rooms. The current baron looks like it is made of marshmallow, and ought to explode well when hit by a missile (but sadly it never does). I have been thinking that the knight ought to have armor. If the baron is stronger, what does it have that makes it stronger ?? Better armor, usually. Better weapons ?? What are they shooting at us and why does it come out of their stomach. ??

Maybe this monster ought to shoot green balls from the end of its
oversize trunklike shooter, which would happen to end at stomach height.
Maybe it could have a thing in its gut that shoots the projectiles.

Important: we should make sure any new sprites match up better with the physical size that the engine enforces. So make sure it is the right height, and check for the width.

Spec: 48x64, which scales to 3 foot wide, 6.4 foot high

The current worm is too narrow for the physical size. It cannot fit through doors that it looks like it could go through easily.
I was thinking of adding some short legs and arms to the worm, make it look a bit like a vicious inch worm. That would give it a little more width.

Many of the monsters look like they came from different planets.
Is this another dimension, or a federation of monsters.