Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enjay

5 x 5 = 25

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else...

Recently when browsing these forums I have had a lot of "clicking" in the background like multiple windows are opening. However, there is no other evidence that they are.

Even more recently, whilst browsing the forums I hear some guy saying "five times five equals twenty five" and then a few seconds later some piano music starts. Again, however, I can find no evidence that another window has opened and there is nothing obvious in task manager. Is this some kind of flash advert that is being semi blocked or something or is it just arithmetic classes by stealth?

I usually use the Google toolbar to block popups, but not on Doomworld.

Enjay said:

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else...

Recently when browsing these forums I have had a lot of "clicking" in the background like multiple windows are opening. However, there is no other evidence that they are.

Even more recently, whilst browsing the forums I hear some guy saying "five times five equals twenty five" and then a few seconds later some piano music starts. Again, however, I can find no evidence that another window has opened and there is nothing obvious in task manager. Is this some kind of flash advert that is being semi blocked or something or is it just arithmetic classes by stealth?

I usually use the Google toolbar to block popups, but not on Doomworld.

Me too actually, though before I formatted my computer, I was getting it when I wasn't on the internets too. It would deselect my window, and exit me out of games...it sucked. But now, it only happens here, so whatever :P

Bloodshedder said:

It's probably the ad at the bottom of the page. Fraggle once got one a while ago that played German rap.

Yeah. A while ago I recall an ad (or few) that would play music out of nowhere and it startled a few members. :D I guess cool-looking pictures aren't enough these days. :D

I had Mr.T talking to me a couple of weeks ago here that sounded quite bizarre until i figured it out. just got home from getting a laptop and had it all spread out on the kitchen table hooking everything up and this was like the first site i visited on it, went to take a leak and i could hear him from the bathroom. funny that i never had it happen on any of my desktops before.

I get the clicks, and an occasional pop-up block alert, but I haven't gotten any weird noises. I did get it once from photobucket. some get the chicken across the road get a free whatever thingy. it would cluck a few times and then get hit by truck. fuckin annoying as hell.

Hey, it's better than the constant barrage of pop ups that used to be here.

Technician said:

High five.

Five high fives equals twenty five high ones.

Danarchy said:

The site was hacked?

You didn't hear the message on Linguica's voice mail? It might've been a prank, but after the site started acting screwy...I believed it. Or did they say UGO was messed up?

I don't understand why ads are even an issue given the easy methods to block them. I could understand if it was 1999~2002, but if you refuse to install flash or disable javascript due to ads, that's just silly. But, if you're still using IE, maybe you deserve to have a hindered internet experience.

I use IE, and the only thing hindering my 'internet experience' is my stupid fucking router that sucks cock.

I really do need to get a new router.

It can be very difficult to exclude unauthorized use of Flash on your system. Until they make a way to keep it from ever running unless I explicitly tell it that it may do so, I will never install it on any system of mine. Its use as an avenue for ads is outside of its intended purpose. I also refuse to support websites that are Flash-only. It's HYPERTEXT transfer protocol, not Flash. I'd like to know why there haven't been some accessibility lawsuits over these commercial Flash-only sites. You know blind people can't possibly use those, and they probably cause hardships for some others too.

Quasar said:

It can be very difficult to exclude unauthorized use of Flash on your system. Until they make a way to keep it from ever running unless I explicitly tell it that it may do so, I will never install it on any system of mine. Its use as an avenue for ads is outside of its intended purpose. I also refuse to support websites that are Flash-only. It's HYPERTEXT transfer protocol, not Flash. I'd like to know why there haven't been some accessibility lawsuits over these commercial Flash-only sites. You know blind people can't possibly use those, and they probably cause hardships for some others too.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/433/
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flash8_bestpractices_09.html

Yeah, I think it probably is the ad on the page. Funny, the ad has nothing particularly inspiring or even visible on it. It seems to be a partially visible mobile phone or something. :/

Oh, and my first post should, of course, have finished with "cue the people who want to tell me how FireFox and Opera are teh win and that using them means they don't get these kind of problems." ;)

For the record, I have FireFox installed but rarely use it because I don't like it for a variety of reasons including the fact that I have found a number of sites which I visit regularly that it doesn't show properly.

rf` said:

In reality, Ling is fucking with our heads again.

Yeah, how are we sure he wasn't the one who put the sounds in anyhow?