Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DOOMENSTEIN

Thailand-go-nuts!

Yeah...it reminds me of that episode of "The Simpsons" when they went to Africa...

MARGE: Who's Muntu?
KATENGE: He's our leader. He seized power in a bloodless coup....all smotherings!

Well, if Thai cinema has taught me anything, it's only a matter of time before someone's plays the Thailand national anthem and every farming village in the contrary totally flips out.

*Captain red puts on "Born to Fight"

It's quite a remarkable situation. The Thai consitution has been annulled, the parlament has been disbanded, and the government dismissed, and yet independent sources say the streets of Bangkok show no signs of trouble.

congrats to the Thai military for doing what the Phillipene military has been failing to do for the last 5 years or so.

Some of the causes behind the revolt are pretty bizarre:

In the early hours of 21 March 2006, Thanakorn Pakdeepol, 27, broke into the Phra Phrom Erawan Shrine in central Bangkok and attacked the statue of the god Brahma with a hammer. After destroying the statue, he was attacked and beaten to death by several people in the vicinity. Thanakorn Pakdeepol had a history of mental illness and depression. Thai police are still investigating the case[15][16].

At an anti-Thaksin rally on 22 March, protest-leader Sondhi Limthongkul claimed that Thaksin Shinawatra masterminded the destruction of the idol in order to replace Brahma with a "dark force" aligned to Thaksin[17]. Sondhi claimed that Thaksin hired Thanakorn through a Khmer black magic shaman[18]. Sondhi also questioned "why was the man stomped to death after he smashed the statue? I have in-depth information about someone who is deeply obsessed with superstition[referring to Thaksin]. He wants to destroy Thao Maha Phrom so that he can rebuild it by himself and then bury "his stuff" in the statue. This is a way to avert ill omens"[19].

The vandal's father, Sayant Pakdeepol called Sondhi "the biggest liar I have ever seen". Thaksin called Sondhi's accusations "insane". To date, Sondhi has refused to make public any details about his "in-depth information" regarding his accusations.