Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

Can anybody give me some advice/ideas for getting Sin to install on my computer?

Recently I acquired used copies of Heretic II and Sin for a bargain price ($1 each). Heretic II installed fine and runs on my computer A-Ok, but I cannot get Sin to install.

When I try to install, I get a "Direct X 6 requires Windows 95" severe error message and the installation shuts down. Heretic had a pop up warning telling me that I didn't have a compatible operating system as well, but it allowed me to bypass said warning and continue with the install; Sin does not let one do this.

I have Windows 2000 NT as my operating system, 128 megs of RAM, a Pentium III 550, Direct X 9 (I think), all of which should be more than enough to run Sin, if I could get the damn thing to install.

I downloaded the appropriate Sin patch from Ritual Entertainment as well, but, of course, I can't do anything with it if I can't install the game.

Any help/insights would be appreciated.

You're damn right you don't have the correct OS. Windows NT is different from regular Windows to begin with, on top of all that, your version is too new.

I don't know how to help you get it to install, but if you can at least get it past that part, I can help you run it if it won't let you do that either.

That's the rub, I can't get it to install anything, period; the install shuts down automatically without giving me any options to bypass. If I could at least get it onto my PC, I could try to tinker with it.

How attached are you to NT? Cuz I would just nix it and install regular 2000 or XP. Or run dual OS's if you can...but as long as NT is on there, it ain't gonna work. NT might have the Windows name on it, but it really is a completely different OS that's not compatible with games before it's time. Heretic II and Sin came out in like 1998, when NT wasn't that prevalent, so there's little to no chance that a game released around that time would be compatible with it.

Sin should install fine on 2000. It did for me when I used it, anyway

Sin and Heretic 2 work wonderful in 2000. 2000 has better support for games than you think :P

You could try installing SP 3 and then enabling the Compatiblity Tab to force the installer to run thinking it's 95.

DOOMENSTEIN said:

How attached are you to NT? Cuz I would just nix it and install regular 2000 or XP. Or run dual OS's if you can...but as long as NT is on there, it ain't gonna work. NT might have the Windows name on it, but it really is a completely different OS that's not compatible with games before it's time. Heretic II and Sin came out in like 1998, when NT wasn't that prevalent, so there's little to no chance that a game released around that time would be compatible with it.

You're confusing the issue and the facts. Windows 2000 is ESSENTIALLY NT 5.0. What you are referring to is Windows NT4.

MmM said:

Recently I acquired used copies of Heretic II and Sin for a bargain price ($1 each).

That particular part of your question is your entire answer, boy.