Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwolf

Ultimate Doom?

I have ultimate doom fro windows 95. I also have a bunch of wads I have gotten off of a CD, and they say that they are for doom 1 and 2. How can I\Can I get them to work with Ultimate Doom? Thanks.

Heh.

Well, in response to your question...first of all, the Doom 2 wads will definately not work with Ultimate Doom. For the Doom 1 wads, it might be something to do with the version the wads were made for. Ultimate Doom is version 1.9, and those wads could have been made for versions 1.6666 or lower.

And I'm guessing that they can't be upgraded. So what can I do to get a good doom mod for Ultimate Doom? And whats with that he stole your avatar thing? (j/c)

Well, they probably should work with Ultimate Doom...I don't know why they wouldn't. That's why I prefer running Doom from DOS as opposed to Windows...it's a lot easier to run custom wads there IMO.

For Ultimate Doom, I suggest downloading ZDaemon first of all, then downloading these two megawads: Invasion and Vengeance. Since cdrom.com/pub/doom2 is still down, then you should probably able to find them using a google search or someone else on here might have a working link to them.

Oops, I meant ZDoom there, but ZDaemon is good in addition. It's a multiplayer server, whereas ZDoom is just a port that enhances the original game.

Doom1 pwads will work with Ultimate Doom. The version does not matter. Pwads don't have versions. It makes no difference. To run Doom2 wads properly you need Doom2 (duh) but there are conversion programs out there that can accomplish this. They may not look quite right because Doom2 has sprites and textures not availiable in Ultimate Doom. They wont play right either because Doom2 has weapons and enemies not present in Ultimate Doom.

Doom1 pwads will work with Ultimate Doom. The version does not matter. Pwads don't have versions. It makes no difference.

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Doom1 pwads will work with Ultimate Doom. The version does not matter. Pwads don't have versions. It makes no difference.

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Well, it depends... sometimes something that worked with an older version of Doom won't with UDoom, just because of added error checks (hah).

How can I\Can I get them to work with Ultimate Doom?

Open up DooM95. When the launcher pops up, look on the right panel of the launcher window. You'll see a field named "Custom Wad File", with a Browse button to its right. Use the browse button to select your add-on map. (You also need to read the text file that came with the map to know which DooM map it replaces -- e.g., E3M5.) Two fields down from Custom Wad File is an "Episode/Level" field. Use the pull-down button to select the appropriate episode and level (e.g., Episode 3, Mission 5). Select your skill level, and you're off.

Open up DooM95. When the launcher pops up, look on the right panel of the launcher window. You'll see a field named "Custom Wad File", with a Browse button to its right. Use the browse button to select your add-on map. (You also need to read the text file that came with the map to know which DooM map it replaces -- e.g., E3M5.) Two fields down from Custom Wad File is an "Episode/Level" field. Use the pull-down button to select the appropriate episode and level (e.g., Episode 3, Mission 5). Select your skill level, and you're off.

I tried that, but all I could manage to get was the music, the levels stayed the same.

And what exactly is a pwad? (in case you haven't figured out, I'm a newbie to Doom Editing)

Maybe you can figure out the WAD version with Dr. WADson. He is part of the MyDoom Frontend, but still in beta state.

i will now give my doom95 speech. doom95 is BAD, grab a port. try zdoom, legacy, boom, edge, ect. they all have good mods and wads, also even older wads run on them( problems will be in the openGL ports sadly) i have yet to find a wad that dont work with zdoom

So far, I'm the only one I've seen who's used this one...but I'm trying to get about 4 fishes uploaded so there will be plenty for all to share.

I can't seem to get anything to work with ZDoom either. I've tried a lot of different mods, but I am still unsuccessful. I can try edgoe or legacy, but I sitll don't know what to do.