Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lüt

Odd light levels

In a lot of the Millennium levels I'm finishing up, their previous authors used light levels like 120, 140, 160, 180, and so on. Since the light levels increment by 16 and not 20, I'm wondering how Doom manages these types of light levels. Does it drop the light level to the lowest legitimate light level, does it boost it to the highest legitimate light level, or does it round up/down according to which legitimate level the set level is closest to?

I've been correcting the lighting problems, but some scenes look a little brighter, some darker and some the same, and I haven't been able to figure out what exactly is going on.

I haven't been able to figure out what exactly is going on.

Nooooo!!! Is it possible that the mighty Lüt has been stumped by a DooM editing problem?

In partial answer to your question (and as you probably already know) DooM requires a lighting level differential of at least 16 to distinguish the light in one sector from the light in another. Therefore, as long as DooM is consistently rounding the light levels up or down in the Millennium levels you shouldn't have "pockets" of light. You could always just leave the light levels at their odd values.

Nooooo!!! Is it possible that the mighty Lüt has been stumped by a DooM editing problem?

Hey, it was never in my plan to be fixing other people's mistakes :P

You could always just leave the light levels at their odd values.

True, but that's below my standards ;)

It's actually for a level that I'm adding a bunch of lighting effects to. It's not like the end of the project if the lights are off by one level, just something I was wondering if anybody knew about.

(Although now that I think about it, that would be a decent excuse.)