Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schneelocke

Demo CDs for download

Hi folks,

I'm not sure where (i.e., in which thread) it was discussed anymore, but a (possibly long) while ago, Opulent mentioned that he had some CDs full of demos for various games, including two for DOOM, and he asked if anyone wanted them. :) I took him up on the offer, and he sent the DOOM CDs to me; I promptly forgot about them, of course, but now I found them again, and in order to make them available to others, I've 7-zipped them up and put them on the tracker so others can download them:

(EDIT: deleted, as per Opulent's request. see below. Sorry!)

They're both ~500 MB (packed; 600-650 unpacked), so they will take a while to download, especially given that I don't exactly have a fast uplink. But on the other hand, that's just why it'd be great if others could grab them and help out with seeding - remember, BitTorrent is faster the more people there are in a swarm. :)

I haven't really looked through what the CDs contain, but it's ~20000 files for the first and ~3000 for the second, so there should be plenty of material there. :) (I have removed some non-demo stuff, BTW, but that shouldn't really matter.)

So, grab them, help out with seeding when you're done for karma and cookies, and enjoy. ;)

EDIT: as briefly mentioned above, the files are compressed with 7-Zip, so you'll need that to unpack them. (The reason why I used it is that it generally gives a better compression ratio than RAR or bzip2 (or zip, but that pretty much goes without saying)).

Cool. I'll be getting them soon when I make some space on my HDD.

myk said:

Cool. I'll be getting them soon when I make some space on my HDD.

Great! Be sure to help out with seeding after you grabbed them, too (that's something that's a bit of a problem for the other DOOM-related torrents so far: usually, I'm the only one who keeps on seeding them). :)

Fredrik said:

Do you have a file list?

Not yet, but I'll prepare one for you.

EDIT:
(Deleted as per Opulent's request. See below. Sorry!)

That's the most comprehensive archive of Doom speedrunning 1994-2004 I've seen. Fantastic! Not much, if anything, from 2005 and 2006 included, though (which of course probably has to do with the date on which Op sent the CDs to Schneelocke!).

Kristian Ronge said:

That's the most comprehensive archive of Doom speedrunning 1994-2004 I've seen. Fantastic! Not much, if anything, from 2005 and 2006 included, though (which of course probably has to do with the date on which Op sent the CDs to Schneelocke!).

Yup, that's why. I just checked again, and Opulent send the CDs to me in January 2005 (goodness, it's hard to believe it's been that long - I should've put them up on the tracker much earlier than that).

Opulent said:

That is very very very very very very very uncool of you.

:(

Murf? Why? o.O

Seriously, if you want me to take them down again, I'll just do so - no problem. I'm really grateful you sent those CDs to me, and I don't (and didn't) want to offend you or make you unhappy by putting them up for download.

Quite the opposite, in fact; I figured that since you had sent them to me and since you had publicly asked who would like them, you'd be interested in seeing them available. Happy about it, even - sharing the demo-love and all that, so to speak. I thought that'd be a good thing.

In any case, I've deleted the torrents for now; if you don't want them to be available, I'll respect that. But I really don't have even the slightest idea WHY you'd be opposed to that, so some clarification of what the actual problem is would really be nice.

Thanks. :)

Opulent... anything? I still don't have the slightest idea what's actually wrong with sharing two CDs full of DOOM demos, so any kind of explanation would really be appreciated.

It's not as if you gave them to me and said "please keep those confidential", after all, or as if the material on them is the kind that should be kept confidential by default (personal information, for example, or other things that were shared with the implicit understanding that they wouldn't be given out to anyone else).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you. I just don't know what the problem is, and I'd really like to know, even if it's just so I can avoid similar pitfalls in the future.