Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mithral_Demon

Need some Ideas for my Doom II lvls

As title says, like how to make it scare the living day lights out of people for some rooms, and some ideas to have fun on, and one question: How can you not get the Unclosed_Sectors Error when I just want a wall in the middle of no where by a border wall? Here's what I'm talking of-

[ []
[ []<----
[ []
[ []
[
[
[
[

If you can't understand, that'll be ok, but i'd need some thing like that to scare people.

...I mean Ideas! But if you could, link me to Ghouls Forest #2 and I'll see what I can ponnder up from it's...Ghoulishness...

Mithral Demon

Where do you get ZDoom =-\ I've never used that, I have Doom95 and it plays wads but can't play Ghoul, so, where can I get ZDoom? And along with this thread still, need more ideas...

Mithral Demon

DAMN DUDE, that is harD!!! I can't beat it, it's a little fast thing that instant kills you and even WITH god mode you die...I pulled out the s.s and shot the thing, but it dissappeared and reappeared some where else...

But STILL!!!! Need more help.

As a Doom95 player (or one that use to be), my first recommendation is to learn about the features of ZDoom.

Try out wads on the ZDoom wiki (such as that ghoul). They almost all contain either some form of ACS Scripting (which you will never find in a Doom95 Wad) or DECORATE (used to make new monsters, weapons, sounds, sprites--it basically replaced DEHACKED).

You will be able to do much more in ZDoom than in normal DOOM. After learning about some of the features, you might be able to come up with some ideas.

My advice: Learn some ACS Scripting. Then, think of scary stuff and script away!

I know some of the options already, like you can make the monstere spawn, items reappear, but for jump? I'm never seen that and haven't yet..Don't know the control for that.

-_-; Still awaiting an answer for my Ideas, now run on ZDoom, but haven't gotten a idea for my megawads. Help is much needed so hell would be more of a hell when played...

There have been many threads on here about "mappers block" and how to overcome it.
You might do a forum search for that if that is what you mean.

Or if you need map name ideas go here:
http://www.cyclomedia.co.uk/?index

Look under the links for Fun and the links for Doom stuff.

Here is another idea generator:
http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=mapgen

OR do you actually need editing questions help?

Edit:typo

If your a real Doom player, you'd know this straight off the bat, but for some of those, newbies? Would need to know, A shoot through wall that only really weaponry shots go throw , but not the shooter them self, like in Plutonia: lvl - Caged (Great Example) , you can shoot through the bars/walls and like that, but for me what I'd do is mae the wall, but add a texture to make people think it's a normal wall, but infact it was actually a transparant wall, shootable, not walkthroughable.

Mithral Demon

It would be if you guys would give me some freaking Ideas, sheesh...If you were in my place, you'd feel the same way =-\ so, please, ideas and no " it wouldn't be scary " crap.

x_x This is getting pretty pointless if I don't get ideas, some lvls may have something but not always...Ideas should now be limited to consisting:

Traps: Crushers, pits, monster tele's

Doors: Switch, Manual or Gunshot?

Interior or Exterior Textures?

Mithral_Demon said:

x_x This is getting pretty pointless if I don't get ideas, some lvls may have something but not always...Ideas should now be limited to consisting:

Traps: Crushers, pits, monster tele's

Doors: Switch, Manual or Gunshot?

Interior or Exterior Textures?

Doors: Scripted, possibly doors that require all six keys (red card, red skull, yellow card, yellow skull, blue card, blue skull).
Traps: Scripted (take away weapons, fireball launchers etc., possibly one that makes you take more damage from a certain kind of weapon), maybe even one that kills the character (resurrection would be necessary, you could speak to some of the folks at ZDoom about the use of inventory or magic)
Textures: Depends on the level.

Pure Hellspawn said:

If you want scary, go play the Ghoul's Forest #2. That is scary even after playing it multiple times.

IMO that's not scary. It's more or less what flash artists do when they make those prank videos (The ones with the scary face that pops unexpectedly).

-Cyberdemons in a mass of hallways, not scary, but quite tense. Then a few imps and zombies to spice things up.

-The good old "lights out" and a door with monster behind is opened.

If you want something really scary, then limit it for certain areas, add ambient sounds, some new graphics, sounds, a moody music. The use of this kind of situation must be limited, otherwise it loose effect after a while and has the potential to turn boring.

-A new texture pack may help, but isn't a must.

-A hidden door that opens behind you by surprise revealing an Archvile, and you without enough firepower (at the moment) to stand a fight.

- A timer countdown (like that on Fragport map 30) with heavy fighting.

- A huge boss (it would have to be way way bigger than the Cyberdemon)

- Unexpected Trap Doors!! (The floor crumbles and you fall to a lower place)

- Possibly a dark room full of spooky traps that cannot be seen until a switch is pressed, or light amp goggles are obtained.

- A cinema where the movie is interrupted by a small monster ambush and continues when all monsters are dead.

- Invisible fireballs (not a monster) that do a small (or medium) amount of damage where the player has a radiation suit.

- The player is walking in a room and suddenly warps to a room full of monsters (the teleport would be scripted, not normal)

- An illusion of a cyberdemon that fires illusionary rockets, the player would have to walk through it.

- Monsters like the Super Imp that look like an imp, but fire hell-knight fireballs in a room with a few chaingunners to distract the player.

- A room with a mirror that has a switch at a corner, and when you go up to the switch, you will see yourself surrounded by cyberdemons in the mirror and hear their sounds, but there are really no cyberdemons attacking you.

- Maybe a weapon that is really powerful, but when used, the player has an x% chance of dying after each shot where x is a number 1-25. Surround it by a picture of 3 marines using the weapon, and one gibbed marine with the weapon. Like Action Doom's BFG (but that kills you all the time)

-Player has pistol and has to go through a room full of cyberdemons that die in 1 or 2 hits each.

plus many many more.

Hmmmn, NOW THOSE are the ideas i'm looking for, my lvls are going to be Hell and Heaven based, but i'm not sure how to make the C.D be like a devil and the S.M be a dark Angel or something, I'm not so well with scripting =\ (may as well be a big prob) and I already know some of the trick floors...except, how to make 2 rooms on each other, but accessable by stairs, fake floor, or tele, and making them 2 seperate rooms (example: Super Sonic Doom- Map 29 or 30 (forgets) where you shoot rockets like you do with the Icon of Sin, but you have to turn on the target switch and shoot rockets or something on the target and blows a part up((I played this, it's pretty cool, but the music is as corny as Sonic the Hedgehog =\)) )

Meh, got some part of new Z-Doom2 done, for lvl 1, but bewarned first level is pretty much really hard, one shot and you'll hear whats awaiting to blast you =P ! One more question, since i'm using ZDoom on Doom format, I can't find the " Texture turns left/right " feature, where is it?

Mithral Demon

Mithral_Demon said:

Hmmmn, NOW THOSE are the ideas i'm looking for, my lvls are going to be Hell and Heaven based, but i'm not sure how to make the C.D be like a devil and the S.M be a dark Angel or something, I'm not so well with scripting =\ (may as well be a big prob) and I already know some of the trick floors...except, how to make 2 rooms on each other, but accessable by stairs, fake floor, or tele, and making them 2 seperate rooms (example: Super Sonic Doom- Map 29 or 30 (forgets) where you shoot rockets like you do with the Icon of Sin, but you have to turn on the target switch and shoot rockets or something on the target and blows a part up((I played this, it's pretty cool, but the music is as corny as Sonic the Hedgehog =\)) )

Meh, got some part of new Z-Doom2 done, for lvl 1, but bewarned first level is pretty much really hard, one shot and you'll hear whats awaiting to blast you =P ! One more question, since i'm using ZDoom on Doom format, I can't find the " Texture turns left/right " feature, where is it?

Mithral Demon

First off: I recommend you use ZDoom- Doom on Hexen Format. (It's Doom with added features of Hexen which include scripting, puzzle items etc.)

If you want new Monster's, you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.savefile.com/files/82686

This is the Monster Resource Wad. It consists of Custom Made Monsters. Take a look at some of the monsters and examine the code for that monster!

If you want inventory, use the ZDoom Community Build.

OK, now to find out, how the heck do I script?? I don't know anything of it (because I only work on helping others make vcomps run faster and fresher = \ ) and how I can make Marines drop the weapons they use like the SSG Marine should drop but does not? Help please =(

Mithral Demon

[Edit] Need to know how to make the door openable since i'm using ZDOOM(Doom in Hexen Format), and link me up on some Texture packs, I have to use Plutonia textures to due for the moment =\

ok, I will give you a little scripting 101.

start with:

script 1 OPEN
{
print(s:"This is a script.");
}

Whenever a script is OPEN like that, it takes place when the level starts.

script 2 (void)
{
print(s:"Script 2 activated.");
}

This script needs to be activated, however. You can get it to activate by putting in a linedef (I'm sure you know what that is.) and having a linedef action of 80 (H Script Execute), by hitting a switch, by killing a thing etc. To the right, you will need to put the script number to run as an argument (should it do script 2 or what?)

My recommendation is to study wads like DOTIMS (deathz0r Online : The Internet Made Stupid), SSD (Super Sonic Doom), and other wads that use scripting.

O.K, for the marines, you will be using DECORATE. There is a program known as XWE (eXtendable Wad Editor) that will enable DECORATE.

Study the Monster Resource Wad with XWE to get the hang of DECORATE. Use the DropItem <item name goes here, no spaces> < chance out of 255 that it drops goes here, higher means more likely, leave blank if 255>.

Experiment by making basic one-level maps that have basic scripts. Then, go for some of the more advanced scripts. Then, try modifying a few monsters using DECORATE in XWE. If you need help, go look at the ZDoom Wiki and don't be shy to ask questions at the ZDoom forums.

I know what XWE is, I use that pretty often, now that I have some help, this project might go smoothly (specially on the first lvl, fall and you restart, and beware of a strong monster =P )