Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mechasam

an interesting thing...

I've been searching throughout the Community for Puritan Doomers like myself and I have found a few. In fact, I got an instant message from a guy who said "I decided to IM you 'cause I never saw anyone on the forums write what you did, knowing that you were gonna be dissed." I simply told him that I like DOOM. And I believe that the whole point of having a community with DOOM players is to keep DOOM historic rather than changing. What's the point on working on source ports which have already been made? Guys, I'm not trying to be mean, but think logically. I realize that many in the community "are not afraid of change," but doesn't that take away the meaning of a game like DOOM? If I wanted Quake, I'd go to Planetquake.com! Doomworld, don't transform DOOM. You will receive more positive clout if you keep the vintage game the way it is than if you keep allowing these people to change it. Post up the WADs that have misaligned textures! Post up the WADs based on the creator's houses! Don't put them on a ghost-town FTP server which no one feels like accessing cause its always down! Make the historic WADs the star!

About two years ago, I remember a DOOM level editing contest in PC Gamer (or one of those magazines), and the contest was won by a guy whose map was based on the Hoover Dam!

I realize many of you, if not all, will not agree with me either because you are afraid to get cussed out like I have been, you're afraid of losing your popular status in the community, or you like to see people work hard for something that's already been accomplished for mere enjoyment (?) Nevertheless, I am not speaking out in anger or rebellion against Doomworld, I am speaking only the truth. Even if you do not want to admit it, DOOM is changing and is straying from its historic nature (whether you like it or not). And I would go to another DOOM community, but there are none!

On a side note, I am working on a level pack featuring the sprites and sounds from the DOOM64 MOD located somewhere in Doomworld. If you would like to help me out and participate in some good old fashioned level editing or you would just like to say "I'm glad there's someone who's public about the way I feel about DOOM" then e-mail me at Vafadar17@hotmail.com

(O Yea, I just finished a book and submitted it to an agent up in NYC.. if it becomes a bestseller you can say "hey that's the guy in the DOOMworld forums) :)

Doomworld, don't transform DOOM. You will receive more positive clout if you keep the vintage game the way it is than if you keep allowing these people to change it.

Doomworld doesn't "allow" anything when it comes to modifications to Doom. Doom was meant to be modified, in every way possible. In fact didn't you make an 11-level megawad?

you know mechasam, i hate you, but youre not all that bad, that thing w9th the doom64 sounds and sprites sounds pretty cool, good luck on it! oh and i still hate you

Y'know, Sam, you're arguement is somewhat valid, and your purpose is plenty noble. However, you'd get a lot more respect (and a lot less flames) if you didn't write like some high-and-mighty crusader. Doom is a damn fun game, and a true classic... but it's not a religion. And people do not like it when you address or refer to them as some kind of unwashed heathen in ancient times. It's also pretty insulting the way you try and appeal to those who you think are afraid of getting flamed. ("'Elp! 'Elp! I'm being repressed!") So go ahead and say your piece, 'cuz the thought police aren't gonna come get you. But keep in mind, please don't act like some kind of prophet.

That said, I'm looking forward to your Doom64 conversion project. I've never played the N64 version of Doom myself, although what I've seen of it looks plenty cool. And in a way, your right; nobody of late has done a project designed to look and work best with the vanilla doom.exe.

Ironic, you're talking about keeping doom absolutely vintage, yet adding sounds and stuff from Doom 64.

Doomworld, don't transform DOOM. You will receive more positive clout if you keep the vintage game the way it is than if you keep allowing these people to change it.

I play vanilla Doom and vanilla Doom wads more than anything else, but this is just ridiculous. Doomworld is not a doom preservation site, it is a doom news site. News meaning, "current events". As was said by my move-thread-happy friend a few replies above, Doomworld doesn't allow anything Doom to be changed. People with free time who want to do something fun change doom, and Doomworld informs us all of those changes.

Now, I realize it is those changes you are so against, why blame Doomworld? You should blame the people who gave you that great classic doom, ID software. ID made doom open-source, didn't they?

Doom.exe and Doom2.exe still exist, and there's tons of old-style wads to be found all over the net. Feel free to buy, download, and play the lot of them, but don't try to lead some crusade against doomworld for covering what's new in Doom. For the most part, you're just pissing people off.

Sorry, Mechacrap, but I lost you right after this sentence :

What's the point on working on source ports which have already been made?

Lay off the glue.

Sorry, Mechacrap, but I lost you right after this sentence :

What's the point on working on source ports which have already been made?

Lay off the glue.

Heh, yeah, that kinda messed me up too (that sentence)

I believe that the whole point of having a community with DOOM players is to keep DOOM historic rather than changing.

On a side note, I am working on a level pack featuring the sprites and sounds from the DOOM64 MOD located somewhere in Doomworld

Pot, kettle.

I believe that the whole point of having a community with DOOM players is to keep DOOM historic rather than changing.

On a side note, I am working on a level pack featuring the sprites and sounds from the DOOM64 MOD located somewhere in Doomworld

Pot, kettle.

Heh, I havent heard that expression in like 2 years.

People are still making levels for vanilla doom2.exe, but right now it seems we are in a low period. Wait for hr2 to come out.

Post up the WADs that have misaligned textures! Post up the WADs based on the creator's houses!

Post up the WADs that suck ass totally! Yeesh. Misaligned textures are NOT a good thing. They are the very essence of what Doom is NOT.

Yeesh. Misaligned textures are NOT a good thing. They are the very essence of what Doom is NOT.

I think he was talking about Doom2.

Like the great Linguica once wrote, Doomworld's maintainers are NOT the "keepers of the faith", or the guys responsible for all things Doom. Doomworld is primarily a news and resource site, and a place where fellow Doomers meet. It's our VISITORS who make up the community as we know it, and it's they who make levels or ports and, while doing so, have kept Doom alive all those years. Sure each of us has his favorite thing, but who are we to tell people what is "good" and/or "correct" and what is not?

As such we don't "allow" or "disallow" anything. We merely report and support.

I am not speaking out in anger or rebellion against Doomworld, I am speaking only the truth. Even if you do not want to admit it, DOOM is changing and is straying from its historic nature (whether you like it or not). And I would go to another DOOM community, but there are none!

Doom has been changing ever since the first add-on level was released, "whether you like it or not". So you hate source ports and any level designed for it? Then by all means, go play levels that work with vanilla Doom. When you're done and want more, go build your own vanilla Doom levels. As "The Darkening" showed recently, such projects still hold their own and they'll get the same kind of attention other source port-only projects get.

Just don't tell us what is the "correct" way to play Doom, and don't confuse Doomworld as the root of all this change.

Doom has been changing ever since the first add-on level was released, "whether you like it or not". So you hate source ports and any level designed for it? Then by all means, go play levels that work with vanilla Doom. When you're done and want more, go build your own vanilla Doom levels. As "The Darkening" showed recently, such projects still hold their own and they'll get the same kind of attention other source port-only projects get.

Just don't tell us what is the "correct" way to play Doom, and don't confuse Doomworld as the root of all this change.

Clear words :) I totally agree.

IMHO: If there wasn't the possibility to change Doom the way it has been changed all over the years it would have died, that is for sure.

IMHO: If there wasn't the possibility to change Doom the way it has been changed all over the years it would have died, that is for sure.

Indeed. Take a look at Duke3d. Lot's of fans, lot's of things to do, but no source code.

Just a bunch of bad looking levels and some hacked projects. Not exactly what I would call a community in it's splendor.

Indeed. Take a look at Duke3d. Lot's of fans, lot's of things to do, but no source code.

Just a bunch of bad looking levels and some hacked projects. Not exactly what I would call a community in it's splendor.

Hehe, I had Duke3D in mind as I wrote the above post...I remember I searched the web for Duke3D stuff, cause somebody told me that there is an OpenGL extension available. I never found this.

Mechasam, you like Doom because it's old. Most everyone else likes it because it's DOOM. It's not about being old or classic. It's about DOOM being a good game.

And in case you haven't noticed, there are plenty of classic-style DOOM maps released. Maps designed to run with plain doom.exe. In case you haven't noticed, Doomworld recognizes them, talks about them, and posts screenshots of them right on the front page. What more do you want?

I think WitchHaven wins the "most misaligned textures" award.

No, that's the PC version of Exhumed/Powerslave

People are still making levels for vanilla doom2.exe, but right now it seems we are in a low period. Wait for hr2 to come out.

Mech: well, if you are interested in playing vanilla doom or on the way of finding people who are appreciated with vanilla doom, maybe you would like to hang out at competn.cjb.net with all the doom gods. I enjoy the doom oldschool features as well :)

Hey, xit, havn't I ever mentioned it to you that my TA is gonna be based on vanilla Doom2 port as well, not just HR2 :) besides, it's really hard to tell if Chronz is still interested, apparently he's slacking. Anyway, I was wondering if you are interested in my project and mapping as well, I'd like you to help me on it. Drop me in a response and thanks