Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Raikoh_Minamoto

Downloading Doom stuff over 56k...

OK, I recently bought the limited edition version of Doom 3, the one with Classic Doom included. I gotta say, when it comes to a comparisin between Classic Doom and Doom 3, Classic Doom wins by miles, IMO. The problem? I bought the Xbox version. I really want to get into level building and things, but I have no clue where to start. However, even something like FreeDoom may be something of an obstacle; as you may gather from the thread title, I'm on dial-up. Downloading a 3-minute iTunes song over dialup takes ten munites, so I'd hate to think of how long it would take to download Doom, Doom 2, Doom Builder, ZDoom, etc. My question is simple: Are the full, registered versions of Doom and/or Doom 2 available to buy at a software store or something, or do I have to download the full version?

EDIT: Aw, crap, I shoulda put this in the 'Questions' forum...

You can't download Doom/Doom2, at least not legally, as it is still sold by ID.
I don't know, here in germany I haven't seen it at all, but that's just because it's on the index.
I'm pretty sure you can find it at some store though, or you just order it from the ID software site!

GET DOOM2 FOR FREE

also get some patience. There's really no point on whining how much your dial-up sucks. We won't fix it with magic for you

And yes, they're still in stores. Look for a dark blue box with COLLECTOR'S EDITION which is jsut doom, doom2, and final doom packed with doom3 promo crap and horrible sad doom95 ports.

Raikoh_Minamoto said:
Downloading a 3-minute iTunes song over dialup takes ten munites, so I'd hate to think of how long it would take to download Doom, Doom 2, Doom Builder, ZDoom, etc.

I once downloaded 2GB worth of /idgames over a dialup connection. It took about a week, but mind you, that included every crap WAD made since 1994...

So yes, go buy Collector's Edition, then spend and hour or so grabbing Doom Builder and Zdoom (or the editor/port of your choice).

I can hardly find this Collector's Edition, unless looking into every single store which still has it available. Downloading Doom via paying, from id, might be a bit too expensive, too. So freedoom might be your last save. Oh, and where you live?? Maybe someone can deliver you a memory stick with freedoom in case your connection hangs (which often happens to me under dial-up.) Don't ask about warez. It's federal... I'm not suggesting delivering warez, neither (so as to disclaim myself.) There's DHL, there's many, so it IS possible. But: for any safety don't begin posting private stuff. Only tell it to people you trust.

Searcher said:

You might also consider looking for it on EBay.com

Oh, sorry, I COMPLETELY forgot of that and amazon.com! Good that doom(2).wad is still buyable nowadays.

leileilol said:
GET DOOM2 FOR FREE

also get some patience. There's really no point on whining how much your dial-up sucks. We won't fix it with magic for you

I wasn't asking anyone to 'fix' my dial-up, just for ways around it. Sorry if it was perceived that way.

printz said:
I can hardly find this Collector's Edition, unless looking into every single store which still has it available. Downloading Doom via paying, from id, might be a bit too expensive, too. So freedoom might be your last save. Oh, and where you live?? Maybe someone can deliver you a memory stick with freedoom in case your connection hangs (which often happens to me under dial-up.) Don't ask about warez. It's federal... I'm not suggesting delivering warez, neither (so as to disclaim myself.) There's DHL, there's many, so it IS possible. But: for any safety don't begin posting private stuff. Only tell it to people you trust.

All you need to know about where I live is that I live in somewhat close proximity to a number of Amish villages, so I sincerely doubt that I'll ever be able to get anything better than dialup here, and I'm not about to get into warez.

Lizardcommando said:
You can find a copy of the Doom Collector's Edition for 10 bucks at Walmart or Target.

Already checked Wal-Mart while I was out yesterday, didn't find it. If I can't find it at Target, Best Buy, etc. (or if they check my ID card before ringing it up), I guess I'll have to download Freedoom.

Naked Snake: Sorry 'bout that, I did a quick check through the FAQ before posting the thread, must've missed it. Sorry.

And a huge thanks to everyone who helped out!

Raikoh_Minamoto said:

OK, I recently bought the limited edition version of Doom 3, the one with Classic Doom included. I gotta say, when it comes to a comparisin between Classic Doom and Doom 3, Classic Doom wins by miles, IMO. The problem? I bought the Xbox version. I really want to get into level building and things, but I have no clue where to start. However, even something like FreeDoom may be something of an obstacle; as you may gather from the thread title, I'm on dial-up. Downloading a 3-minute iTunes song over dialup takes ten munites, so I'd hate to think of how long it would take to download Doom, Doom 2, Doom Builder, ZDoom, etc. My question is simple: Are the full, registered versions of Doom and/or Doom 2 available to buy at a software store or something, or do I have to download the full version?

EDIT: Aw, crap, I shoulda put this in the 'Questions' forum...

You could probably find it on Amazon, or the official id software website.

Raikoh_Minamoto said:
My question is simple: Are the full, registered versions of Doom and/or Doom 2 available to buy at a software store or something, or do I have to download the full version?

Apparently id Software and Activision are currently shipping the DOOM Collector's CD from their sites; they probably decided to reissue it to go in conjuction with the XBOX 360 release. That should be your best bet if you don't find it even cheaper on another site (Ebay, Amazon, etc.) or at a store.