E5M7 Bruno Vergílio 11:27
E5M8 Vincent Catalaa 4:00
E5M9 Vincent Catalaa 11:57

E6M1 Vincent Catalaa 5:44
E6M2 Vincent Catalaa 7:34
E6M3 Bruno Vergílio 1:31

Download: Here

I have demos for all ep1 and ep2 as well as e3m8 and e5m8

Some of these are not posted in Heretic-N yet, but I could if you request it.

Btw, if you use legacy, disable jump...

Hey Vince, d'you have the demos!? but remember, they must have 100% kills and secrets... well, if you have them ok, then I can put your name on the first 3 episodes and the other maps you did on ep4 and 5... so I can do the rest of the demos... mmmm, did you try to do e5m1 on uv?! Jesus, I just can't kill all the monsters... there's no amunition for it... anyway, thank you very much!

These demos all have 100% K & S, I got :
e1m1
e1m2
e1m3
e1m4
e1m5
e1m6
e1m7
e1m8
e1m9

e2m1
e2m2
e2m3
e2m4
e2m6
e2m7
e2m8
e2m9

e3m8

e5m8

I lost e2m5, I will have to redo it, so it's not in the list

Are you sure you cannot use the heretic provided on heretic-n ?
Use VDMsound or just skip sound with -nosound

Mmmm good, Vince... about the dos problem... it's not the sound... it's the windows version... but, mmm, I'll try these tips you told me... let's see if I can play normal on it... are you using that v1.3+ !? or 1.3 normal?! I'm using 1.3 (at least I think it is hehe)... mmm let me see the things here.. ahh... if you have an msn, add me... brunodeovergilio@hotmail.com ... see ya buddy!...

Added you to my MSN and also ICQ... waiting for your authorization :)

btw, I dont have e2m5 anymore but I plan to do it some day.

Hey, Vince, I can play in dos mode without sound... mmmm, the problem is... how to activate the RUN mode... I mean... I don't wanna hold shift to speed on... I want this always... ahh, I've just authorized you in my msn... about icq, well, sorry hehe, I don't use it anymore... but we can talk in msn... thx!!! see ya!

Bruno Vergílio said:
mmmm, the problem is... how to activate the RUN mode... I mean... I don't wanna hold shift to speed on... I want this always...

Open heretic.cfg and change joyb_speed to 29.

I'm working on Heretic too. But I don't know if I can make proper demos because of the more complex setup (inventory and flying) - need a 3rd hand for that :/

Secondly, I need more practice. Heretic is damn hard (I have more problems with a single maulotaur than with 10 cyberdemons). ATM I'm far away from reaching Vince' times.

BTW, Bruno, you forgot e6m1-e6m3 in the tables.

myk said:

He linked it in the last news update on his page.

I don't meant VV's edited heretic but some port or whatever named WHERETIC. For example you can edit video options, sound options in menu in the game...Anyway, i find it finally but some classic heretic.exe demos (major part of them) are desync there..So i would like to ask you if i can record demos using it?

Angus Thermopyle said:

I'm working on Heretic too. But I don't know if I can make proper demos because of the more complex setup (inventory and flying) - need a 3rd hand for that :/

How about Descent speedruns by stx-Vile? :) Controlling in Descent is much more complex than in Heretic, but he shows EXCELLENT movements there.

Hey Angus, I'm having problems with demos too... sometimes the maps are too dificult that there's no way to make fast demos... for example... I finished doing e5m1, just did it, but did not record it yet... there are lots of monsters, and sometimes the biggest one are in the smallest areas of the map... so, it's a shit... about the inventory... well, I have problems with this too, but there's no need to know or use all of them... only some things, such as potion, tome of power (great for killing malotaurs and lichs) and torch sometimes... ahh, in e5m1, there are 2 secret places that you can reach only if you use an item that makes you fly... but anyway, these are the ones I know about... mmmm don't worry about the time, just make a good demo... see ya!

afff wait... I can't warp to the level I want to record the demos... the README.TXT says that you can only use -Skill and -Respawn when you're using -WARP... how to make it work now?!? and one more thing... if I'm not wrong... the command is "-warp 52" (if I wanna go to e5m2 for example), but it's not working either... what should I do now!?...

heretic -warp 1 1 -skill 4 -record demoname

_MethoD_ said:
I don't meant VV's edited heretic but some port or whatever named WHERETIC. For example you can edit video options, sound options in menu in the game...

Oh yeah, the port, sorry. Got misled by your typo.

Anyway, i find it finally but some classic heretic.exe demos (major part of them) are desync there..So i would like to ask you if i can record demos using it?

If it's stable maybe the guy who coded it can be contacted to reimplement proper demo support, or to release the source so others can do it. He updated his page not too long ago (last year), so he doesn't seem to be completely gone.

entryway said:

How about Descent speedruns by stx-Vile? :) Controlling in Descent is much more complex than in Heretic, but he shows EXCELLENT movements there.

Sadly I saw only two or three of his Descent speedruns. When I tried to download the .avis from lag.com's site a few months ago, only a few links worked. And now it's down :(

stx-Vile has four hands ;) Watch the Heretic episode movies (done with zdoom) he had posted in this forums.

Bruno Vergílio said:

about the inventory... well, I have problems with this too, but there's no need to know or use all of them... only some things, such as potion, tome of power (great for killing malotaurs and lichs) and torch sometimes

You can use tome of power with backspace (credits for this info to Vince).

I guess I should make a tips TXT on how to configure heretic.exe :)

1 - you noticed that setup.exe doesnt allow to change the use item key, but it is possible. In heretic.cfg you can add the line "key_useartifact [key number]" to change the use item key to whatever you want. Just make sure you dont open setup.exe anymore, or it will remove it.

2 - as mentionned before "joyb_speed 29" gives autorun

3 - backspace is shortcut to activate the tome of power

4 - if you have more than 2 buttons mouse and a fancy mouse driver, you can bind a key stroke to a mouse button, like the use item key to your middle button. Same with your flying keys, so on. Under Win98 I use the intellimouse 4.12 even if my mouse is a logitech, works great and saves time. I guess it could work under XP too, but I never tried.

5 - very neat trick far non-autorun users like me. When you hold your run key down and press use item key, it skips to the next item. To use the item, just release the running key and press use item again. It is very neat to quickly browse your items while still moving, and just stop running for a split second to activate your item. My use item key is bound to my middle mouse button, so I can keep on strafing and moving while changing/using items, it's very neat :)

About Wheretic, Dashiva wanted to take over wheretic and improve it. Robin said he would think about and had to fix some of the code before he did so. It never happened and never wanted to hand the source either. And also, his code is in Watcom C, dash said he could not use it just like that.

@Method:
you could try Wheretic it but they would not award any points at Heretic-N, because heretic.exe runs very decently with -nosound or with VDMsound under WinXP, no excuses not to run it :) When a port like prboom or chocolate doom will perfectly run heretic.exe demos, then you will be able to use that. But not now...

Bruno Vergílio said:

Here is Map 1 from episode 5:

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/brunovwads/MAX5M1.zip

Take a look... it took me sometime... don't say it's a bad recording, please, cause this took me a lot of work :D!!!

great demo dude, I am very glad you used the heretic.com patch to record it !!

One tactic to think about, leave the maulotaur for the end, keep a book, get the wings at the end and fly to the ring. Activate the ring + book and own the maulotaur in no time using the phoenix rod... it could gain a lot of time :)
Also I see you got a couple hourglasses left, make sure you use em :)
Running through a pack of monsters and drop one in the middle is always very sweet, but do not get stuck !!! ;)

Hey Vince, sorry, this was only to see what you and other ppl think about the demo, but I will zip it and include a text file ok!?
ahh, connect again in msn, sorry, it was my lunch time some minutes ago,... I was in the kitchen hehe... but thx for appreciating!!!

Angus Thermopyle said:

Sadly I saw only two or three of his Descent speedruns. When I tried to download the .avis from lag.com's site a few months ago, only a few links worked. And now it's down :(

You can get the .dem files from this page (click on the links marked "stx-Vile"), and watch them using the D1X port, if the original game doesn't work well on your system. They all played back fine for me.

Regarding Vile's Heretic runs, he commented here on the way he handled the inventory. I presume that isn't possible in the original game though.

Grazza said:
Regarding Vile's Heretic runs, he commented here on the way he handled the inventory. I presume that isn't possible in the original game though.

I wonder if you can bind the wheel up and down to different keys ?

Hey Angus, if you don't mind, I'd like to make demos for episode 5... if I just don't get it, then you or Vince will do... is this ok for you!? well, I wait your answer...

Bruno Vergílio said:

Hey Angus, if you don't mind, I'd like to make demos for episode 5... if I just don't get it, then you or Vince will do... is this ok for you!? well, I wait your answer...

Of course it's ok for me. I'll surely enjoy every demo you make :) I still don't know where to start, and today I didn't play any Heretic at all (check the new Scythe thread :). It may take some time until I get my first Heretic maxdemo.

Hey Angus, you can start making episode 4 demos... try playing it at an easy skill first... then keep practicing until you get on skill 4... and then start making your demos... ahh, a good tip: use doombuilder to search for the secrets in each map... it's the best way to reach 100% secrets... anything, just ask...

Bruno Vergílio said:

Hey Angus, you can start making episode 4 demos... try playing it at an easy skill first... then keep practicing until you get on skill 4... and then start making your demos... ahh, a good tip: use doombuilder to search for the secrets in each map... it's the best way to reach 100% secrets... anything, just ask...

Thx for your help. I really should learn the maps at a lower skill level - Heretic is not Doom, where I play every new map at UV. Bad habit :)

If you like -fast like in doom, try -skill 5.
Unlike Doom monters do not respawn but you still get 50% more ammo (instead of 100% more for Doom's skill 5), which should help tremendously in some maps.