Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Making a skin

1. How long does it take for you to make a skin?
2. What are the techniques you use for painting a skin?
3. Any advices on how to speed up/improve the progress/quality?
4. Software to use?

1.depends
2.do your best
3.i dunno its doom...
4.adobe photo shop or paint shop pro
(you could use ms-paint..)
and you can put the skin in using xwe

999cop said:

4. Software to use?

1. I duno, havent tried, too long unless you plan.

2. There are many, its probably recomended to use 3D models, or make concept pictures. Also its a good idea (in my opinion) to make it higher colour, and resolution than doom can handle, then convert BACK to that.

Oh and you could try using stop frame annimation with a camera, camcorder, or a stack of paper and scan/rip it...

3. Practice what you want to do by hand first. Study what you want to do, like if you want to make a barron, study a cow's legs and head. Then study the upper torso of a person along with Muscle and bone structure. Also study colour theory and shading. practice it. HINT: shading reflects what the surface is of your object, so try to use smooth for smooth surfaces, and try circles or lines(with highlights) for furry surfaces...

4. GIMP(free), Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro. I dont know what else... if your desperate, you could use paint...

I dont know if this is too much info, but I fuigure that it should be a good enough answer to help you out.

know of any books to recommend for learning to use Paintshop version...5, I believe, which should be the most suitable for making Doom graphics? or tutorials to such other similar products? Did a search on Amazon but seems hard to find the right one without a specific reference

999cop said:

Not very long, if you're not using MSPaint!

I dunno about Paint Shop Pro, but I know that Adobe Photoshop has a "Color" setting for the pencil, flood fill, and paintbrush, and this setting is good for palette swaps. If you're doing stuff from scratch, then I dunno.

Don't use MSPaint, never ever save your stuff as jpeg, and get lots of practice!

4. Software to use?

Something other than MSPaint! I personally prefer Adobe Photoshop, but Paint Shop Pro is also quite good, and has some support for vector graphics (if you're into that kind of stuff).

999cop said:

know of any books to recommend for learning to use Paintshop version...5, I believe, which should be the most suitable for making Doom graphics? or tutorials to such other similar products? Did a search on Amazon but seems hard to find the right one without a specific reference

what? Paint Shop Pro 5 is easy enough you don't even need a quickstart guide to operate and make pictures.

leileilol said:

what? Paint Shop Pro 5 is easy enough you don't even need a quickstart guide to operate and make pictures.

If you're making a "real" texture from scratch, I would think it'd take some extra effort and that should not be "easy enough"