Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
aleksej

vanilla over internet today

I wonder to play in vanilla over internet. Like in good old days of ifrag and dwango (not famous pwad :)). This is possible in todays internet access standarts? (ADSL, VPN, and etc)? I think minimum two thing is important to realize this: Win9x and real IP. And ofcourse some useful utilz (tcpsetup, git or others)
If anyone has these "rudiments" :) and want to try/remember - let me know.

any source ports that providing this not in my interests.

I've connected using Kahn. We could try, but only for testing purposes, because we're on different ends of the world.

Have you tried asking in a Russian forum? There you might find someone who still has Windows 9x. Or maybe players from the Czech Republic; I know there are a lot of classic players there (speed running fans or DeathMatch players), and it's probably not too far away from you.

HobbsTiger1 said:

No. Mostly because planet earth has moved on from IPX/SPX

Funny thing to say since TCP/IP is a older protocol than IPX. :p (not saying I miss it though)

myk said:

I've connected using Kahn. We could try, but only for testing purposes, because we're on different ends of the world.

Fucking hell, that thing is still around? I used that to play Descent back in the day. :)

AlexMax said:
Fucking hell, that thing is still around?

Its home page is dead, though the program can still be obtained here or there. There's also GIT, which is similar.

myk, Unfortunatelly i know no one of russian doomers who prefer vanilla dos executable instead of sourceports. i'm always use vanilla (i even build retro rig for this) and sometimes boom/prboom+ in certain cases.
Russian pseudocommunity separated for two pieces. Who prefer Doomsday/Rised3D with candy effects and who like zdoom based ports. Vanilla doomers in RU not anymore - maybe only entryway. Even boom based ports not favorite for russian doomers.

I'm also tryin registering on doom2.net forum but their registration is broken. BahdKo not reply to my email about that.

I think kahn use fixed dedicated server and in this case it useless if main server is dead.

Maybe GIT or even TCPSETUP may still works in todays environment.

Ralphis, yep, chocolate be the best way for me last time. This is "smaller evil" in russian expression :) Anyway i love and want playing with genuine authentic dos executable with their dependance to isa sound hardware and etc. I just love run original doom in their own dos environment.

c.imp said:
I think kahn use fixed dedicated server and in this case it useless if main server is dead.

It'll work without the central server, as that central server was merely acting like a "master" server for any servers that chose to show up on it, and for IRC chat. One client starts a server and the other (or others) connects to its IP.

c.imp said:
Wonder to try with TCPSETUP by Jake Page. I think this is most "authentic" way - without any universal ipx tunnel services. Require any kind of packet driver.

It seems pretty cool, allowing one to set the player number and the executable name. Never tried it myself yet.

c.imp said:

Ralphis, yep, chocolate be the best way for me last time. This is "smaller evil" in russian expression :) Anyway i love and want playing with genuine authentic dos executable with their dependance to isa sound hardware and etc. I just love run original doom in their own dos environment.

As a side note, I'm currently looking for people to help test the new Chocolate Doom multiplayer code. I'm trying to make Chocolate Doom something that "Vanilla enthusiasts" will enjoy: your input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

heh, How can i test recent chocolate build when there is no working servers? I was on #chocolate irc channel and asked for online servers. A they have answered me "dont't know, ask on #doomworld or #zdoom channels for it.
Very funny.

p.s.Oblacek server working with old netalpha5, and they down periodically.