Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lupinx-Kassman

I need a new sprite editor

My Wintex sprite editor (Wintex 5.0 I might add) does not work on my machine. Its probably because I am using Windows XP, so I switched to my trusty Windows 2000 on the same comp. No luck. It gives me random error messages which dont make sense (nothing like missing dll's or simialer misfunctions, just computer jibberish).

I think I need a new sprite editor! I dont know where to find one, or whether a better one even exists?

Any help here?

I would suggest a paint program such as GIMP, and a lump editor such as XWE as a suitable replacement.

Oh lol I saw Gimp, but it just didnt seem like a doom editor... hmmm... I think ill use xwe.

Btw, any Hexen sprite editors around? Thats what I was really aiming for (Although these editors are nice thanx guys).

XWE can edit Hexen lumps, too.

And GIMP is an image editor. So you could create or modify sprites in GIMP, then put them into your wad using XWE.

Another sprite (specific) editor you might look into is GraphicsGale. It's a free program without the major 'clutter' (heavy filters, stuff like that) of programs like GIMP (Blessed be it's name :^D)
I don't have the website handy but give it a go if you want to just strictly do sprites.

Um, Wintex works fine on Windows XP. The missing dll messages are not computer jibberish either. Grab the necessary dll files from dll-files.com, change the settings in your wintex.ini file to point to the proper applications, and voila it works. Magic!

lupinx-Kassman said:

Cool. Thanx for everything guys.

One more thing, GIMP by default has no way that I know of to 'import' a palette. You're going to have to create your own palette file for DOOM, which I created myself a longass time ago.