Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BlackFish

Yankees pitcher dies in plane crash in an NYC building

Recommended Posts

I heard about this a couple of hours ago. Me being a hardcore Yankee fan, this coupled with our quik exit from the playoffs this year make it a suck ass week. He was only with the team since July 31st, but he played in the majors for 9 seasons with 7 different teams. So he touched a lot of people and the players said he was one of the best team mates they ever had. But back to the crash itself, kinda bizarre he managed to crash into a apartment bldg highrise.

Share this post


Link to post

What I want to know is-- what was he thinking weaving his plane between skyscrapers? Or maybe he was trying too hard to control the plane with his non-pitching arm?

Share this post


Link to post
Scuba Steve said:

TERROR ALERT LEVEL RAISED TO HEIGHTENED! THE YANKEES ARE ATTACKING!


Sorry, but this event was a tragedy and I (among many others) do not find it funny (even though I am not a Yankees fan or for that matter a baseball fan). He is gone forever and will never be seen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Scuba Steve said:

TERROR ALERT LEVEL RAISED TO HEIGHTENED! THE YANKEES ARE ATTACKING!


Ok scuba don't piss off the yankee fans here.

Share this post


Link to post
caco_killer said:

The authorities are blaming the crash on the foggy sky.


why was he flying on a foggy day, anyway? i see it may have been just one patch of fog but he could have landed somewhere else or gone around instead of endangering other peoples lives and costing someone else theirs.

Share this post


Link to post
Pure Hellspawn said:

Sorry, but this event was a tragedy and I (among many others) do not find it funny (even though I am not a Yankees fan or for that matter a baseball fan). He is gone forever and will never be seen again.

Very true, it is a sad day. Turns out he asked not to be cremated! Wakka wakka!

Share this post


Link to post
Pure Hellspawn said:

Sorry, but this event was a tragedy and I (among many others) do not find it funny (even though I am not a Yankees fan or for that matter a baseball fan). He is gone forever and will never be seen again.

PENIS BREATH

Share this post


Link to post
Pure Hellspawn said:

Sorry, but this event was a tragedy and I (among many others) do not find it funny (even though I am not a Yankees fan or for that matter a baseball fan). He is gone forever and will never be seen again.

Shit, considering "tragedies" happens every day, you must live quite the life of sorrow.

He was a mediocre journeyman pitcher at best, and a hotheaded asshole with a gambling problem at worst. And he's dead now, so what?

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, I first saw this story when I woke up this morning. Then they were just like "OMG someone crashed into a skyscraper with a plane! Terrorists! It wasn't until a few hours later that they found his passport at the scene then discovered the plane had been registered to him. I don't know why, but that series of events kind of amuses me.

Share this post


Link to post
Quast said:

He was a mediocre journeyman pitcher at best, and a hotheaded asshole with a gambling problem at worst. And he's dead now, so what?


I really don't see why being a mediocre journeyman pitcher lessens the impact his death had on those who knew him. If we're judging the sadness of someone's death on their status in life...well, journeyman pitcher in the Major Leagues is much more than you or the vast majority of people on this forum could hope to achieve.

As for being a "hotheaded asshole with a gambling problem"...the guy ran poker tournaments for charities. Yeah, that's a huge problem. Hotheaded asshole? I don't even know where you're getting that, unless you're somehow inferring that from his comments about the Yankees "not being prepared" for the playoffs.

I understand that this incident is going to affect everyone differently. Everyone's perfectly entitled to react how they wish, whether it's by offering condolences or cracking jokes. But really, overly trivializing his death makes you guilty of the same crime (if there is any) of the guy who was getting upset at people making light of the tragedy. You're being enormously hypocritical.

Share this post


Link to post
Shadow Dweller said:

why was he flying on a foggy day, anyway? i see it may have been just one patch of fog but he could have landed somewhere else or gone around instead of endangering other peoples lives and costing someone else theirs.


The stories I've read makes it seem like the plane had some sort of technical trouble before it crashed. It's hard to credit this to sheer incompetence, especially since he was flying with his instructor.

Also, the sky over and around Manhattan is filled with planes, helicopters, blimps, etc. It's like a giant freeway in the sky, basically. Accidents will happen from time to time due to sheer probability. A blimp deflated and crashed into a Manhattan building in 1993. There was also an incident in which two commercial jets hit each other over Staten Island. The pilots of all of those vehicles were highly experienced professionals. Accidents happen.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll hear more on the cause of this in the next few days or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Quast said:

Shit, considering "tragedies" happens every day, you must live quite the life of sorrow.

He was a mediocre journeyman pitcher at best, and a hotheaded asshole with a gambling problem at worst. And he's dead now, so what?


No, I do not life the life of sorrow. I said that because I had a bad feeling that this thread might erupt into a flamewar.

Share this post


Link to post
Pure Hellspawn said:

No, I do not life the life of sorrow. I said that because I had a bad feeling that this thread might erupt into a flamewar.


Gee I wonder how that would start...

Share this post


Link to post
zap610 said:

Gee I wonder how that would start...



lol, pretty obvious. Some retard comes up and bashes Scuba Steve and makes death threats. The End. Flamewar started.

Share this post


Link to post
Kid Airbag said:

If we're judging the sadness of someone's death on their status in life...well, journeyman pitcher in the Major Leagues is much more than you or the vast majority of people on this forum could hope to achieve.

Maybe in terms of income.

But yes that's a bad criteria in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post

sucks, plain and simple. I'm a huge baseball fan and live in new york city. although I am a mets fan, this still does put a lil dark cloud over the post season. maybe the mets can win this one for him, after all he did make his major league debut with them back in '97.

caco_killer said
The authorities are blaming the crash on the foggy sky.


actually the sky had dark clouds that had the look of rain (which it did much later on) and visibility was at least 7-9 miles. VFR can be performed with at least 3 miles of visibility. so visibility was not a factor in the crash

Share this post


Link to post
Pure Hellspawn said:

lol, pretty obvious. Some retard comes up and bashes Scuba Steve and makes death threats. The End. Flamewar started.


We need a replacement sarcasm detector for Pure Hellspawn here.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×