Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dark_Shadow4002

Quick Doomsday Question

ok, i am familiar and pretty well versed in the way Jdoom operates...but one nagging thing...possibly i over looked it. Now jdoom automatically makes the fwater, lava and the nukadge flats "glow"

Now for that glow i cannot find it anywhere in any of the ded's. I am trying to implement some of my OWN custom glowing flats. How might i go about this? Also since i am on the subject...can you do that for walls as well (without making a decoration...but more like a glowing mask texture or a glowing texture with an alpha channel).

Thanks.

Yes you can also make wall textures glow.

Indeed it is a strange place. The reason its there is due to it being a relic of the way things used to work in Doomsday a LONG time ago... pre DED days. Before DED all these kind of features were externalized via a crude method involving replacing *magic* strings.

Now that the Doomsday API has/is being significantly redesigned for 1.9.0 the old RENDER_GLOWFLATS kludge will be obsoleted by a new method (currently in development).

yeah it worked...somewhat...again i have a dilemma...and if it doesn't work..the wall glowing texture idea is a waste:(

I made some png's for wall glows...and they worked! BUT here is the issue..once i added an alpha channel to the PNG so that ONLY certain parts of the texture were visable...the glowing ceased. IF the entire PNG was solid (no alpha) it worked but if it had an alpha...glowing stops...whats the deal? something in JDooms rednering code?

Glowing textures sadly don't work on mid textures with transparrent parts (though it works if you place said texture on a solid wall).

Glowing textures sadly don't work on mid textures with transparrent parts (though it works if you place said texture on a solid wall).

In that case it is a bug which needs reporting so that we can fix it.

Please, if you find bugs like this when creating mods; submit them to Doomsday's BUG tracker at SourceForge.

I note that you haven't yet submitted a bug report for this.

It is rather unfair to expect any port author to trawl ALL the DOOM forums looking for bugs. We have a system in-place to help us help you, please use it.

I was thinking of posting the bug at sourceforge but it is such a MINOR issue i just figured the priority would be rather low and kind of a waste of time to bug skyjake about :) either way its nice to know it will be fixed. But alas snowberry hates me and i am stuck with 1.8.6 till i figure it out.

Dark_Shadow4002 said:

I was thinking of posting the bug at sourceforge but it is such a MINOR issue i just figured the priority would be rather low and kind of a waste of time to bug skyjake about :)

That kind of thinking is rather counterproductive. It's easier for a developer to close a report than not knowing about a problem. There are no problems that are not worth reporting.

But alas snowberry hates me and i am stuck with 1.8.6 till i figure it out.

What problem are you having? Do feel free to start a tread in our Technical Support forum so that we can help you resolve the issue.

NOTE: I only frequent DoomWorld occasionally, if you have Doomsday questions its better to post about them at the Doomsday Forum.

But alas snowberry hates me and i am stuck with 1.8.6 till i figure it out.

What problem are you having? Do feel free to start a thread in our Technical Support forum so that we can help you resolve the issue.

NOTE: I only frequent DoomWorld occasionally, if you have Doomsday questions its better to post about them at the Doomsday Forum.