Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

How was the original Doom sold?

Ok so like I know that the Doom Shareware was shipped with Wolfenstein 3D as pictured in my collection:
But I'm wondering as to how the original three episodes were sold. Did you have to order them directly from ID or could you grab it in stores. If thats the case, does anybody know where I can find it in the original box(I've checked ebay, no luck). If anyone knows please leave a reply.

The original doom box was the same as the one pictured above, except minus the "Your FREE copy of Doom shareware"

I still remember when I ordered mine back in 1996, for my surprised I received The Ulimate DOOM, cool! Good times.

I have an original copy of it sealed NIB. I will take a picture of it as soon as I get my new Canon digcam from Newegg. Darn thing is backordered! :(

Regards,

Dusty

Dusty said:

I have an original copy of it sealed NIB. I will take a picture of it as soon as I get my new Canon digcam from Newegg. Darn thing is backordered! :(

Regards,

Dusty

Dude, your that guy who keeps trying to compete with me on ebay. My ebay name is The360guy89.

Bloodskull said:

Dude, your that guy who keeps trying to compete with me on ebay. My ebay name is The360guy89.

LOL yep that's me! I didn't know if your name meant Xbox or Ferrari. :)

Regards,

Dusty

A bit off topic, but isn't the Wolf3D box art just zany? I was looking at it the other day on my copy of the GBA version. BJ's kicking a German soldier in the chest while firing what's apparently the chaingun into the air not an inch from his ear. Also, the German's weapon is still firing as it flies away from him, despite having nothing to hold the trigger down. And as this craziness occurs, another soldier is running toward them, apparently unaware of the fact that BJ could just turn around and mow him down with that gun :P

Quasar said:

A bit off topic, but isn't the Wolf3D box art just zany? I was looking at it the other day on my copy of the GBA version. BJ's kicking a German soldier in the chest while firing what's apparently the chaingun into the air not an inch from his ear...

Eh I miss box art like like. Movie poster art too, like the original Star Wars movie posters.

I agree Quasar that technically speaking the Wolf 3D art is a bit off. But I do like the cover, its appealing. No worse than the hero who runs out in between 5 automatic machine guns and every single one of the trained killers miss him as he runs from one object to the next. :)

The original Doom retail box is one of my favorite ever, and the original Warcraft, very simple but made you curious enough to flip over the box and see what it was all about.

Regards,

Dusty

Oh, I like it myself. I just think it's zany because everything in the pic has something wrong about it ;)

Quasar said:

Also, the German's weapon is still firing as it flies away from him, despite having nothing to hold the trigger down.

Well... maybe it was slam firing? Although I'm not sure if the MP40 has a free floating firing pin, but it's not extremely uncommon for military weapons to fire on automatic if the firing pin channel has gunked up to the point where the firing pin itself is stuck and protrudes enough to fire a round even though the trigger isn't pulled.

HWGuy said:

So the original Doom was mail/telephone order and the Ultimate Doom was sold in stores, correct?

In some countries outside the US, the original Doom was retailed in stores, although this wasn't the case for US until The Ultimate Doom was released (the US never had a retail version of the registered original Doom, just the Shareware version).

The reason for this? Probably because id thought it would be more difficult for gamers outside the US to register the game, since it would be an overseas purchase - so they brought out a retail release for the international market. Interestingly, little is known about this on the internet.

Initially, I thought this release was some kind of bootleg, but if you examine the Doom FAQ - it's only illegal if you bought the game at retail in the US (outside of the US, purchases of the registered retail version are legal).

Here's a shot of one of my copies of the international version (purchased in Australia):
http://www.lesmiskin.co.nz/doom_aus.jpg

[EDIT]:
The US mail-order version was sent out to buyers in a retail-style box - here's a pic (just the front cover of it unfortunately):
http://www.lesmiskin.co.nz/doom_us.jpg

I know that when I had just turned 4(93) my uncle had brought over a copy of the registered version, but 5 or 6 floppys if I recall correctly. I own the Ultimate Doom on CD, but I had ordered that directly from ID with my birthday money back when I was 7. Came with that Strategies and Secrets book which I'm sure is worth something for being kept in damn good condition. Can anyone verify that?

Bloodskull said:

I know that when I had just turned 4(93) my uncle had brought over a copy of the registered version, but 5 or 6 floppys if I recall correctly. I own the Ultimate Doom on CD, but I had ordered that directly from ID with my birthday money back when I was 7. Came with that Strategies and Secrets book which I'm sure is worth something for being kept in damn good condition. Can anyone verify that?

I purchased a Strategies & Secrets book in top condition (I rated it 9 out of 10) for less than $10. The games in top condition hold their value but the guides unfortunately don't seem to.

Regards,

Dusty

Bloodshedder said:

That's an MP44. But it does have a floating firing pin apparently.

My bad, I couldn't see it very clearly, but it's obviously not an mp40. However, looking at it closer, it looks more like a cross between an m4 with an Austrian FAL magazine and a wood stock. I doubt they cared too much though, because it still looks cool. But yeah, as far as nazi guns, it's alot more like the mp44.

My first registered copy of doom was brought to me by my father.
I dont know if it was a pirated version as it was some kind of jewel case version. I dunno if i have it now, when it must be burried deep in my cellar. ;)

First legal Doom which i bought was cheap peace of crap (because not includes original dos ver.) called Doom Collector's Edition.
Then i began to collect all doom related stuff.
Now i have:

Software:
Doom 2 for DOS - jewel
Doom 2 for W95 - jewel
Doom 2 for DOS ("cyberpad" joystick bundle)- BOX
Doom Collectror's Edition - BOX
Master Levels For Doom - BOX
Ultimate Doom For DOS - jewel
D!Zone 150 Levels - jewel
D!Zone 900 Levels - jewel
D!Zone 2 1000 Levels - BOX
D!Zone 3 1000 Levels - BOX
D!Zone Gold 3000 Levels - jewel
D!Match 500 Levels - jewel
H!Zone for Heretic 250 Levels - jewel
3D Alchemy for Doom/Heretic/Hexen - BOX w/book
Tricks for the Doom programming gurus - BOX w/book
The Complete Doom Accessory Pack I - jewel
The Complete Doom Accessory Pack II - jewel
Demon Gate - 666 New Levels - jewel
Doom 2 Mania - jewel
Doom Shareware - tiny BOX w/floppy :)
Lost Episodes Of Doom - BOX w/floppy
Doom Music By Bobby Prince CD - jewel
Heretic: Shadows Of The Serpent Riders for DOS - jewel
Magic & Mayhem for Heretic 1500 levels - jewel
Hexen: Beyond Heretic for DOS - jewel
Hexen: Beyond Heretic for W95 - jewel
Hexen: Deathkings Of The Dark Citadel - jewel
Strife - jewel w/map poster
Doom 3 - BOX
Doom 3 official russian distribution - jewel
Doom 3 ROE official russian distribution - jewel
Doom for GBA - BOX
ID Anthology 4CD - complete BOX w/all stuff
Doom 2 Screen Saver - BOX w/floppy

Pewter Figures:
Imp
Zombieman
Sergeant
Chaingun Dude
Demon
Lost Soul
Cacodemon
Mancubus
Baron Of Hell
Arachnotron
Cyberdemon

Books:
Doom Survivors Guide
Doom 2 Survivors Guide
Heretic Survivors Guide
Masters Of Doom
Doom: Knee-Deep in the Dead - russian translation
Doom: Hell On Earth - russian translation

Doom Movie official russian translation - DVD

c.imp
huh. you have much more than I could suppose. can you show us some photos of your collection? it should take a lot of place on your shelfs.

Nice collection c.imp!! Love to see some pictures!

Man...I can't wait to show my pictures...its just so much its taking a long time to categorize and take good pics.

Kind regards,

DUsty

I thought the lost episodes were pretty cool. I had the Book+Sleeve for it, it was a Cybex book. They were pretty tight back in the day and I had the Ultimate Doom SG, Doom 2 SG and the Lost Episodes.

It was so ghetto how they just hacked the sprites for the episode titles but it looked good, but glitched with Ultimate Doom.

I remember picking that up in a bookstore in Omaha, Nebraska when I was in like 3rd grade. Good times.

I'm pretty sure that the full version of Doom sold in shops in the UK had a red face on, that was probably supposed to be the Baron, with yellow sides and a black square taking up most of the back with screens, description and other assorted information on. But that may have been Ultimate Doom. I dont ever remember seeing a box with the Doom title screen picture on it, but then again i was 9. The Playstation version (the first one i owned) had a bloke who looked nothing like the Doom guy (and dressed differently, if i remeber correctly, in some kind of brown jacket, black vest and blueish green jeans) shooting through an Imp with the shotgun whilst a Lost Soul flew at him from behind.

c.imp said:

First legal Doom which i bought was cheap peace of crap (because not includes original dos ver.) called Doom Collector's Edition.
Then i began to collect all doom related stuff.
Now i have:

I have one you seem to be missing. It's called DOOM Companion Edition and was made by Laser Magic, the same people that made Demon Gate 666. It has graphic maps of the levels, demos, some really early and crappy level editor utilities, and the shareware version of DOOM on it. It came in a jewel box for $9.95 and has the official DOOM cover art in the front insert and printed in the disc in red. I'll provide a scan of the front insert if you'd like to see it ;)

EDIT: You also seem to need Hank Leukart's Hacker's Guide to DOOM ;)

Ofcourse, i glad to see something new for doom! :)
I collecting early '90 wads compilation cd's like demon gate, doom mania, doom accessory pack, d!zone series and etc.
I'm also hunting for:

Perdition's Gate CD (already have ISO)
Hell To Pay CD (already have ISO)
Chex Quest with original paper sleeve (already have ISO)
HACX CD (i know is available for free but i want early CD ver)
DOOM 2 German Release CD by CDV GmbH (have files archive of preinstalled game).

I bought a cd called "wads of wads" by the cdrom user group uk in like 96/97 for 10 quid, it only features doom maps all dated from 1994/5 and loads of stuff for editing like, dck 1.0 and the source, a level editor called CDR1 and doom 1_4 shareware.

I have never seen most of the levels from this cd anywhere else and its proberly for the best.

I had a CD, cant remember wich one maybe it will fall in my hands when i clean up my cellar, that had a hidden pirated version of Doom 2 German edition ;)
It is a folder named doom3 and it has some obscurely named file that has a size of ~14 mb, sound familiar?