Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

Universal and Fox back out of Halo movie

I wanted to see a game to movie turn out good for once and the halo movie has(had?) half a chance of doing that.

I'm not going to lose much sleep over this though.

I didn't even know they had plans to make one......don't care much anyways though. Being that its a game they tried to turn into a movie, I would expect it to suck royal ass anyways.

Speaking of how bad video game movies are, there was a movie, Alone in the Dark. I wanted to watch, because I was told it was a story that involved the creatures from Pitch Black. That was a lie, and WOW that movie was terrible. unwatchably terrible, then at the end of the movie you find out it was based on a game! Then it all made sense as to why it was so terrible.

I went to Amazon to rate it. The overall movie rating was 1.5 stars out of 5. Its virtually impossible for Amazon's average user rating to be below 3 stars. There's always some idiot that thinks a movie is 5 stars cause it had one thing the user liked. But not for Alone in the Dark, everyone hated it :-)

Peter Jackson probably asked for a 200 million dollar budget and a 3 year shoot time to film it. Otherwise in all honesty, Fox and Universal don't back out of anything if its "cool and trendy" like Halo would be.

Ya, the movie isn't cancelled, but surely something must be pretty wrong for two big names to pull out.

Also, Alone In The Dark was a Boll movie. There's a reason it sucked.

Jesus H Christ, can we mention Halo once ONCE without someone saying "Halo is so overrated"? it wouldn't bug me so much if I had In fact met someone who thought it was a great game.

I would much like to see Peter Jackson use his now found credibility and writing to make a new horror or satire movie like "Bad Taste" or "Meet the Feebles". Right now he's kind of on the scene as the big blockbuster pictures.

A Halo movie could work but I'd like to see it made in another person’s point of view then Master Chiefs. It’s too hard to work with a character like Master Chief because you can't let out any background or character as much as the game does because fans had already begun creating it themselves. It’s like the Doom movies interpretation of the Marines.

Captain Red said:

Jesus H Christ, can we mention Halo once ONCE without someone saying "Halo is so overrated"? it wouldn't bug me so much if I had In fact met someone who thought it was a great game.

halo is a great game

Well, the thing is, Halo IS overrated. That would be the reason that lots of people say so. I guess it works as a console FPS, and the MP is neat but I only ever seriously played it on PC, where to be honest it's mediocre at best. Not to mention repetitive.

Captain Red said:

I wanted to see a game to movie turn out good for once and the halo movie has(had?) half a chance of doing that.

You should see the Silent Hill movie. I never played the game, but I loved the movie (despite the plot being a ripoff of Jacob's Ladder). I also liked the Mario Brothers and Double Dragon movies, but for different reasons.

Silent Hill was heavily based on Jacob's Ladder, the designers love it.

Why would Halo, of all games, turn into a good movie? The game is rich in canon and lends itself well for fanon but it sorely lacks plot elements that lend themselves to an entertaining movie. Anyone knows if the script is online somewhere?

They obviously had second thoughts. It is a videogame based movie after all. They never make back their investment, let alone profit. Even with Peter Jackson's involvement it probably just wasn't worth the gamble to either sudio.

Captain Red said:

It's not that it isn't a good game. Just not what it's made out to be.

Yeah, it's a great game and all, I love it. But it doesn't make my list of top 10 FPSs and FPSs are one of my least favorite genres. Same goes for Half-Life. God damn those idiots that gave that game 11/10. Scales become meaningless when broken.