Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scwiba

The Early Doom 3 Imp

Okay, I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Doom 3 General, but since it's for a Doom WAD and the Doom 3 forum seems near-dead, it's going here.

In some videos id used to show off the lighting effects in Doom 3, there's an imp-like creature that walks through beams of light and jumps around. I'm trying to turn it into a sprite, but I need something to reference. All I can find at this point are small pictures or cropped ones. I don't know if anyone can point me to a good quality copy of the whole video or decent resolution screenshots from a few angles, but anything would be helpful.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, NewDoom has a picture of the upper half of it in the top-right corner. EDIT: Sometimes

I think you're refering to the monster known as "birdman", if so, there's a recreation of it in one of the upcoming "big DOOM 3" mods, I can't remember the name.
Yeah, it's a kick ass monster, I suggest using the "were dragon" from Heretic as a base (re-colured, diferent head).

Didn't the earliest video (the Geforce 3 Mac Presentation) have it? I'm pretty sure the 'Doom: the Legacy' video showed the final one and compared it to doom 1's.

Vegeta said:

I think you're refering to the monster known as "birdman", if so, there's a recreation of it in one of the upcoming "big DOOM 3" mods, I can't remember the name.
Yeah, it's a kick ass monster, I suggest using the "were dragon" from Heretic as a base (re-colured, diferent head).

I think I do recall it being called birdman before, but when you mention the were dragon, I'm not sure if we're on the same page. They don't seem to have a lot in common. It's a bit hard to judge the size of the creature in the video, but I had planned on basing it on the imp.

DeumReaper said:

Didn't the earliest video (the Geforce 3 Mac Presentation) have it? I'm pretty sure the 'Doom: the Legacy' video showed the final one and compared it to doom 1's.

I just grabbed a copy of the Legacy video and there are some quick shots of the creature I was talking about, as well as what looks like the original model used to create it. It will be helpful, but there are some high resolution pictures that I remember seeing that would probably work even better, but I can't find them anymore.

I always thought that was an early version of the Hellknight, myself. Now I see that it looks a bit like a cross between an anorexic monkey and Batman, so I dunno what the heck it's supposed to be.

My bad, then. Though I wish they had gone with this one instead of the final Hell Knight -- I always thought it was silly looking.