Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Odamex, Shmodamex

It's a word that seems to have been spreading like a virus around the community, and like many viral memes, almost everyone repeats it without having any idea behind its meaning. Well, I'm here to tell you that it really doesn't mean anything. Odamex is just a portable, open source Doom multiplayer port, in development for the past year, that focuses on having a classic Doom experience with a few modern perks. They also just happen to be looking for people to help with programming and beta testing before its actual release, and if you want to spend your otherwise idle time helping, you can sign up at the site. The developers also have a focus on sharing, having an open community, and being responsive to user questions and fixing bugs.

BlackFish said:

I'm making a raid coop project, but I'm guessing this port won't have any advanced features. :(

Good to know what Odamex is.

That depends entirely on what you consider advanced features. Odamex strives for full boom compatibility and also has other enhancements over regular doom such as mouselook and jumping (which can both be turned off on the server level).

I was planning on abusing decorate and scripting, and have enough monsters in a room (or high enough health) that you'll need 6 players in the room. Levels may be really big as well. It sounds a tad ambitious but I feel like experimenting.

I don't mind doing a vanilla coop wad for practice though.

Is it ZDoom based? Why did it have Hexen code?

It's not Eternity or PrBoom based?

Does it have (true) Doom compatibility?

It's based on csDoom 0.62 which was ZDoom 1.22. Due to license conflictions all the Hexen source had to be removed or replaced.

myk said:

It's not Eternity or PrBoom based?

No sir. We used CSDoom 0.62 as a base because we didn't want to write client/server netcode from scratch, though it is possible that version 2.0 might be based on PRBoom.

myk said:

Does it have (true) Doom compatibility?

It got the stamp of approval from Dash and Toke, who both contributed to the source code. Notable oldschool players have commented on the accuracy of the mouse code, which was written by the latter of those two.

Yay for me for making the first thread on the Odamex forums (after the forums became public, that is).

exp(x) said:

Odamex and Chocolate Doom are the best source ports EVER.

Odamex is approximately 4.25 times better than Chocolate Doom.

Unlike Zdamon/Skullfuck, Odamex isn't closed and is gpl and is truly crossplatform meaning WOOOOOO APT-GET INSTALL ODAMEX!!

myk said:

Is it ZDoom based? Why did it have Hexen code?

The earliest version to start having raven code in some form was zdoom 1.17. While there weren't that many outwardly noticeable features at this earlier stage it was there. Denis has put in yeoman's work to remove all the raven bits and replace with either a gpl equivilent or simply to lose whatever features may have come along with it.

leileilol said:

Unlike Zdamon/Skullfuck, Odamex isn't closed and is gpl

Yawn.

Anyways, yay or something.

Thanks to the Odamex Development Team for bringing us a new source port.

But why don't you guys take the most newer ZDoom build, remove all Hexen code and use it as a base?

Again, thanks.

Sweet, a Zdaemon alternative for all those who don't care for the glitz and glamor of Skulltag. Personally, I like the glitz and glamor, but this port is also fully open source which is cool and I think I'll sign up for beta testing anyway.

Danarchy said:

Sweet, a Zdaemon alternative for all those who don't care for the glitz and glamor of Skulltag. Personally, I like the glitz and glamor, but this port is also fully open source which is cool and I think I'll sign up for beta testing anyway.

I don't know if it's a zdaemon alternative really. I mean zdaemon is probably the most popular zdoom deathmatch port around right now. We're more of a Doom alternative you could say. But thanks for your support all the same!

RazTK said:

But why don't you guys take the most newer ZDoom build, remove all Hexen code and use it as a base?

Unfortunately there's way too much else going on in later zdoom builds to attempt such a feat. And not only do you have to contend with all of the raven code, but you'd have to deal with the BUILD code as well. All in all we chose what we chose based on various factors including what would be done for us and what would need to be done.

I've had a hand in the source as well. Those of you with international keyboards should be happy to know that the key bindings will work for your ! and @ keys and odamex will know the key names instead of calling them KeyXXX like the old ZDoom code did.

:)

Looking good, guys! The website looks pretty impressive (I'm guessing Manc did it). Hopefully, the port will be, too. Maybe it will get all the oldschoolers off my back :P

SoM said:

I've had a hand in the source as well. Those of you with international keyboards should be happy to know that the key bindings will work for your ! and @ keys and odamex will know the key names instead of calling them KeyXXX like the old ZDoom code did.

I AM INTERNATIONAL, thank you many times SoM. :p

SoM said:

You mean the " and @ keys, right? If so, yay!

Mancubus II said:

Unfortunately there's way too much else going on in later zdoom builds to attempt such a feat. And not only do you have to contend with all of the raven code, but you'd have to deal with the BUILD code as well. All in all we chose what we chose based on various factors including what would be done for us and what would need to be done.

Fair enough. Besides, with the whole open-source thing, people could just port the netcode into the latest version themselves (as large a feat as that would seem to be, it'd be pretty cool).

Looking forward to it, guys!

Trasher][ said:
Fair enough. Besides, with the whole open-source thing, people could just port the netcode into the latest version themselves (as large a feat as that would seem to be, it'd be pretty cool).

Looking forward to it, guys!

They would then have to make it available under the GPL license, with which zdoom code is not compatible, so no it's not quite that simple :)

It ran on my Pentium II 350mhz at full speed and 640x400, so I'm guessing anything within the past eight years should be fine.

Carnevil said:

Looking good, guys! The website looks pretty impressive (I'm guessing Manc did it). Hopefully, the port will be, too. Maybe it will get all the oldschoolers off my back :P

Thanks for the comments! Naturally Manc did the website design, since I sure as hell can't pull off snazzy-looking graphics nor can I tolerate CSS that much.