Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vomited_anal_tract

Doomsday on Mac

I have Doomsday on my Apple computer and it runs great but the problem is I can only run ID wads. How can I be able to play custom wads? Is the Doomsday team still working on it or is there another program I can use?

Also, what wad making programs do you reccomend for Macs?

vomited_anal_tract said:

I have Doomsday on my Apple computer and it runs great but the problem is I can only run ID wads. How can I be able to play custom wads? Is the Doomsday team still working on it or is there another program I can use?

Heh...it's confusing, isn't it? You can use the "+" button in the Addons tab of Snowberry (the Doomsday launcher), but a much more convenient way is to go to your user folder, then from there go to Library/Application Support/Snowberry/addons/, and add the files to that /addons/ folder. I recommend making an alias to /addons/ and putting it in your Doom folder, so you can quickly drag wads into it. Once you've added something to /addons/, you'll need to restart the launcher for it to show up in the list, if it's already running. Then just select it in the Addons tab and away you go.

Also, what wad making programs do you reccomend for Macs?

If you're on a PPC Mac (basically, anything made before 2006), I suggest Hellmaker. It's old and buggy and it only runs in classic, but I like it. I made an unofficial updated version of it that adds Boom and Legacy linetypes and thing types: http://sl4.poned.com/carp/hellmaker_e_3.zip

If you're on an Intel Mac, well...I suggest using Boot Camp to put Windows on it, and use Windows for Doom editing. Seriously. :(

There's a beta version of SLADE that runs on either PPC or Intel Macs, but right now the Mac version is too buggy and incomplete to use as your primary editor. It does have a lot of nice features that Hellmaker doesn't, though (even though 3D mode isn't currently supported in the Mac version), so if you're on a PPC Mac you'll probably want to use a combination of the two editors until the Mac version of SLADE is more finished and functional...

...a much more convenient way is to go to your user folder, then from there go to Library/Application Support/Snowberry/addons/, and add the files to that /addons/ folder.

How exactly is manually having to move the files to a user and/or system-specific location (that you need to be aware of) then restarting Snowberry more convenient than clicking a couple of buttons and have Snowberry do it for you?