Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Skippy

time to show i can do

note: i'm beta testing this wad.

I'm gonna ask Skippy if I can to. Why do you get to have all the fun???

because we're good friends, and ud members get to see each others work first.

[edit]the level has over 13000 sidedefs already.[/edit]

what do ya think?

The shot @ 1152*864 makes the lighting look sweeet. Nice grate over nukage too.

Uh-oh, I smell competition.

Cool, well done.
Looks like it will be fun to play when you release it.
Nice lighting.
Colors in the scene do not conflict with each other.
Looks like it has a nice flow to it.

Uh-oh, I smell competition.

yeah, skip told me on aim that he'll probably reach 32000 in no time. i don't doubt him.

yeah, skip told me on aim that he'll probably reach 32000 in no time. i don't doubt him.

Well, you can't. The Segs count will get in the way.

Your map looks pretty good, seems like everyone is handy with textures but me. :) Anyhow I look foward to going through it!

Lüt: aw damn

Heh, I know.

The highest I ever got the sidedefs count on subway was about 28,500 before it froze the game due to segs. I've had to cut out about 8,000 sidedefs worth of crap from the level just to make it run, and I'll probably have to cut out some more to get a few other scenes in before it's finally done.

I think with the ZDoom v1.23 final release, there won't be a need to build nodes, so you don't have to worry about segs/blockmap/etc overloading the engine, then I think you can go up to 32,000 sidedefs. Not exactly sure, but deep knows. It would be great if Randy removed the 32K limit from other levels stats as well.

I think with the ZDoom v1.23 final release, there won't be a need to build nodes, so you don't have to worry about segs/blockmap/etc overloading the engine, then I think you can go up to 32,000 sidedefs. Not exactly sure, but deep knows. It would be great if Randy removed the 32K limit from other levels stats as well.

the level uses zdoom 1.23 features (slopes, fake 3d floors). it was gonna be made for boom, but skip decided to put in zdoom stuff.

Great! Then it will run even slower :P

The level format structure determines these -theoretical- maximums:

The max # of sidedefs is 64k-1 - as referenced by Linedefs.
The max # of sectors is 64k-1 as referenced by Sidedefs.
The max # of segs is 64k-1 as referenced by Nodes.

Both of these are now 2 byte signed integer values (so that they are now 32k). Ports would only have to make these unsigned and ditto for any support utilities. Fairly easy.

Hey, time for all source port programmers to make that a new standard!

For Vrack 3, I'm like 25% finished when it comes to total sidedef count (if I get my dream through), and segs are at an evil 19k already =(

One thing you can do (that I considered doing with a final version of my map) is making it into a ZDoom hub. I don't like splits in an otherwise flowing level, but if it's the only option I could make it work. I've only done about 1/5 of what I had planned for that level before I hit 32K, but seeing as how I'd never finish the rest, I guess that limit came as a good thing: it means the level will actually get done in my lifetime :)

That screenie kicks, Skippy.

But on another note, take a look at my sig; do YOU know? it pisses me off. Especially when i'm trying to make a realistic street or dining hall. I've managed to work around it, though, by making what i call "Pileups" of carcasses and then making impassable linedefs.

looks good, you've split the floor textures up nicely for that slime grating effect. It's a clean job, just makes original Doom textures look better, which is a good sign. I like the classic cement wall textures as well. When's this going to be finished?

It is ok. Maybe you should consider doing some eyecandy in the ceiling and inserting a bit more interesting colors.