Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_user

Latest beta incorrectly creates damage and item pickup effects

In the latest beta of XWE, the damage effect is created using palettes 1-9 and the item pickup effect is created using palettes 10-12. This is incorrect, the damage effect is supposed to be created using palettes 1-8 and the item pickup effect is supposed to be created using palettes 9-12.

The latest official version (116) does correctly create the damage effect using palettes 1-8, but it can't create the item pickup or radiation suit effects.

Confirmed from the Doom source code:

#define STARTREDPALS    1
#define STARTBONUSPALS  9
#define NUMREDPALS      8
#define NUMBONUSPALS    4

I'm glad someone finally tried it.

I used this page as my source of info: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Palette. Since 9 is apparently unused, I used it for damage effect. In the original Doom2 PLAYPAL, palette 8 is very red, but not 100% red. In XWE, 9 is 100% red, so 8 is not 100% - therefore pretty close to the original. If I used only 1-8 with the current way of calculating colors, 8 would be at 100% red.

Perhaps I could still change it. Do you guys know of any source ports that actually use palette 9 for anything?

The Doom code is a bit misleading, on second glance I see that the Wiki is correct and palettes 1 and 9 are unused.

With EDGE, that code was converted to floating point (long ago) and I'm fairly sure it uses palettes 1 and 9 now, although I consider that a bug.