Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SulfurOccult

massive nodesbuilder error

for reasons i can't imagine, after working on my map for a small while the nodesbuilders refused to work. i got an error message saying the nodesbuilder was unsuccessful, and to check the map for errors or try using a different nodesbuilder. i checked the map for errors, which turned up nothing. i switched from zdbsp to zennode, and still got the same error message.

i figured, ok maybe doombuilder or the computer is being retarded for no reason, i'll just reboot and see if that fixes it. big mistake, heh. now doombuilder and XWE can't even find a map inside the wad file.

luckily i had a backup, but still i lost a good amount of work. anybody know whats up with this?

also as i continue to work, sectors in other areas of the map are becoming unclosed. i would love to be able to tell you how to reproduce this but i'm completely confused myself it seems totally random.

Were you editing the wad in Doombuilder and XWE at the same time? IIRC that can cause big problems.

I've seen this problem twice. Neither time was I running XWE (the first time it happened before I even downloaded XWE!). Both times it happened after I had been working on the maps for a long time, however. Perhaps it is related to the size of the map?

This is related to map size. It does save the level info (whatever the technical term for that is) but bombs out when it tries to build nodes from it. The solution is to quit out of DB and then start it again, then build the nodes.

as a note to anybody else who gets this error:

if you do get your maps nodes to build again, check your map for errors as you might have a few hundred unclosed sectors that became unclosed during the error.

As I work more and more on maps, my experience with this glitch increases. I literally get it almost every day. There are several trends I've noticed about it:

1) Size of the map may not be a factor, as I've seen the glitch with levels I've made that are smaller than those of the iwad.
2) Switching Nodes Builders usually doesn't do jack (at least, not on it's own).
3) For ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) maps, I find that switching the Nodes Builder to zdbsp and then hitting "reload resources" (under tools) SOMETIMES fixes the problem. This may be true for other formats as well, but ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) is what I use the most, and it's therefore where I've noticed this the most.
4) Restarting one's computer SOMETIMES fixes it.

Now, a couple of days ago I was trying to export a map I had completed. Not surprisingly, the nodes builder decided that was the perfect time to stop working properly. The normal strategies for dealing with this weren't helping. So while looking around at certain nodes builder profiles and seeing that some had the option of not building a reject map, I decided to try applying that same "-R" parameter to the export node builder profile. To my surprise, the export worked perfectly after that. The nodesbuilder and other parameters were not changed at all.

Now, I may not be the most technically-oriented person here, but this result would seem to indicate that the source of this glitch is somehow related to whatever program/program-component builds the reject map. It's basic scientific methodology: Change one thing in a system and compare the resulting differences. Problem is, this glitch isn't limited to building the nodes for export (as I'm sure any who have encountered this error can testify to). Heck, I've come to EXPECT that every couple days or so I won't be able to use 3-D Editing Mode because the nodes builders refuse to work no matter what I do. Still, the reject thing could at least be a starting point for finding whatever the heck causes this glitch.

Ive had a similar problem, for some reason, every once in awhile, my maps BLOCKMAP file will somehow get corrupted and certain one sided lines become passible.

Any ideas how to stop that from happening, and fix the ones that already got FUBAR'd already?