Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

WII

It is amazing. It is groundbreaking. It really is that fun. Who else got it? I'll talk more about it later, I need to get back to it now!

I gave up on consoles. I'll personally never buy one again, but hey, if somebody owns one, I'll check it out.

So yeah, I'm a huge nerd so I stood in line to wait at Best Buy. By the time I got there the line was stretching across the building, but I figured 'what the hell', so I went to the back and waited. An hour goes by... more people are showing up... finally they start the head count to set the cut off point. Out of 102 systems I was number 96. "Rock on" I say to myself... things are looking up. But alas, the head count only preceeded the handing out of tickets for the console, and by the time they handed those out eight people had cut in line. 8 people. Talk about suck. So the eight people who got shafted were asked to wait... in case in payments didn't go through. Kind of a lucky, yet not lucky at all, runner up deal. So we wait... and wait... everyone who had a ticket has left, and we're waiting... finally one of the guys goes and gets the manager. It turns out that waiting actually paid off... just not for me. See, I was runner up number 2, and out of 102 people, only one credit card was denied. The other seven of us were all, "Hey, can't you save one for us from the next shipment, seeing as we were shafted and all? Could you at least tell us when the next shipment is?" No luck there, the guy was treating us all like crap, and every other Wii in Austin has been sold already. Hell, they don't even have displays of the system around here because the remote is wireless... so I can't even see what I'm missing. Well, I suppose I could see what I'm missing... I managed to get two of the games at GameStop where I had them reserved... but a fat lot of good that's going to do at this point.

Moral of the story? Best Buy and it's manager can suck my dick. All of it. And the eight people who cut in line? They can suck my dick before Best Buy... and then again afterwards. I guess I'll just have to do something else with my time... like exercise... or something...

Got mine today. It's pretty fun. Havent tried out zelda yet.

The remote is more trouble-free than I expected. Hardly any setup required.

Somebody on this floor got one. People here been watching and trying it out for a little while. Quite fun. Nintendo looks like they really got it right.

Whoops, I thought this thread was about World War 2. I almost got a 360 today, but the total price exceeded my CREDIT CARD limit, even if I were to go with the core system and one game. Screw it, I'll just get it the old fashioned way, saving up.

My Super Nintendo can kick your wii's wee little ass.

baronofhell said:

Whoops, I thought this thread was about World War 2. I almost got a 360 today, but the total price exceeded my CREDIT CARD limit, even if I were to go with the core system and one game. Screw it, I'll just get it the old fashioned way, saving up.

Try to get one the way I mentioned.

I would like to get one, but I'm gonna wait for a while to get it. I didn't bother with the 360 cuz xbox never appealed to me, and ps3 could kiss my puerto rican ass for the price and hell they caused.

I'm with you bro. Any company that charges 600 dollars for their console can kiss my Puerto Rican ass as well.(Caguas, PR is my birthplace, but I am proud to be an American, where at least, I am spoiled fucking rotten on cloud nine 24/7 bomb those fucking......) nevermind. Yeah, the 360 will be mine soon enough...The Wii??? Maybe when The Mario Bros come with a new SP title.

Wish i could join in your guys console enthusiasm but im all pc myself and allready got my holiday game on- nfs carbon. maybe a sound card upgrade before christmas.

Regen said:

Wish i could join in your guys console enthusiasm but im all pc myself and allready got my holiday game on- nfs carbon. maybe a sound card upgrade before christmas.

You coulda picked a better PC game then that.

Regen said:

Hooray for old-gen gaming I guess.

A friend picked the Wii up today. Wii Sports was fun, but I also got into Red Steel, and it showed how clumsy the sensor system really is, unless you own, like, a 30" screen TV, and are standing directly right in front of it, kind of like I predicted. Nonetheless, it's a cute little novelty and I'll pick one up once some better games are out and the price drops to something somewhat lower.

Ok, had some time with two games so far.

Excitetruck is just plain fun with a group of people. There isnt any depth to it though. Just grab the controllers and drive. I'd suggest waiting until it drops to $30.

Red steel is kind of a mixed bag. Music is great. Visuals arent impressive but the style is nice (no space marines and tech, for once). Gun play takes a while to get used to but I've found it enjoyable. Also you should be sitting AWAY from the screen (the sensor bar really) and not very close to it for best results.

The sword fighting - this game's biggest feature - is not really very good. It's too canned and too formulaic. Parry, slash , parry, slash slash. This is another one that I'd say is not worth more than $30.

Still havent played zelda. Got too much stuff to do before I embark on that journey.

Friend of mine got Rayman and super monkey ball. Didnt try either. Rayman looks kinda nifty but Im not one for mini-game games.

As for the system itself: The whole sensor bar thing knida bugs me. So far it hasnt been too much of an issue, but I can see it being a problem for some people depending on their setups. A glass surface at the wrong angle can screw it up. Doesnt like direct sunlight. Doesnt like major sources of infrared light in general (yes I know the bar doesnt actually "sense" anything). So depending on the way your play area is set up it could be an issue. Things that only require motion-sensing work just fine.

Havent been able to go onlnie with it due to a router issue.

Someone I know bought one (he got up at 4 in the morning to go wait in line at Target).

The only thing I played was some Wii Sports. Frankly I wasn't all that impressed - baseball was admittedly fun, but the other games seemed a bit gimmicky. Boxing in particular seemed to be more "motion activated" than "motion controlled" - punching didn't seem to work very well and just throwing around the controllers was more effective. In golf the controller and club got out of sync quite frequently and I gave up when I couldn't hit a ball anymore (the club just twitched around randomly when I tried to swing).

My reaction is a big "Whatever." I'm sure they'll be some games out eventually that put the controller to good use.

Not sure why you're judging Wii Sports based on Boxing and Golf, widely regarded as the only two poor sports in the game.

I happen to like golf, so that sucks. And why the hell are you making excuses about it being bad because "everyone knows they're bad"?