Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

Any new games out that are worth playing?

Any new games out there that are actually good? I was considering that new Warhammer Chaos RTS game. http://www.markofchaos.com/warhammer.php But after reading about how grossly unbalanced it is I want to go nowhere near it. The idea of owning a 30000pt army with only 2 heroes doesn't sound very exciting to me.

Any relatively new PC games out there anybody can recommend? I beat Scarface: The World is Yours, and now I need to find another game which doesn't suck. Everything I've taken a look at sucks. I guess if the majority of games out there are really that lame, there is always Doom to play.

Darkstar One is pretty cool: an Elite/Privateer style game with both solid gameplay and nice graphics.

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade is one of the best expansion packs ever made. Yay for non-linear strategy games! The Necrons pwn too. Dark Crusade can even be played standalone, though you can only play as Space Marines, Eldar, Orks or Chaos in multiplayer if DoW is installed.

Broken Sword: Angel of Death is pretty fun, if you like adventure games. It's not as good as the first two in the series, but it's definitely better than the third.

Might & Magic: Dark Messiah might be short, but it's pretty sweet. If you like the Heretic/Hexen series, you'll probably like Dark Messiah.

Its not exactly new (then again same with FFV), but I bought the Unreal Anthology release last week. It has Unreal Gold, Unreal II, UT99 GOTY, and UT2k4 (non-ECE) for 30$. Good deal if you've never played some of the games or used to have them like I did.
EDIT: It's not openly advertised but it has a soundtrack of some of the best tracks from all 4 games (Razorback is the ultimate song in a game, ever.)

Anyone played the FEAR expansion yet? Haven't had the time to pick it up yet, but I'm uneasy about how they could possibly match the atmosphere from the original. Don't want my high hopes to be crushed :p

Darkfyre said:

Anyone played the FEAR expansion yet? Haven't had the time to pick it up yet, but I'm uneasy about how they could possibly match the atmosphere from the original. Don't want my high hopes to be crushed :p

Don't bother.

Darkfyre said:

it's FEAR but more. no really, that's what it is. I mean, you get a few weapons and one or two new badguys but it really is more of the same. don't expect to jump by it, they actually re-use a bunch of 'spooky bits' from the original game.

Fire fights are still fun and the chaingun is neato.

kristus said:

Fantasy FPS. Afaik that was a while since one last came.
http://projectoffset.com/

Although Dark Messiah fits that bill quite nicely :). I'm really hoping that modding for it kicks off and provides us with some decent new maps, because the game really is too darned short... but then, the same is true of many modern FPS' (Quake 4, FEAR, and Prey to name but a few).

Capcom Classics Vol. 2 is a pretty stellar compilation. A couple absolute turd nuggets (Street Fighter 1, which sucks all on its own and SSF2T which was poorly emulated) amidst some really awesome stuff like Knights of the Round, Captain Commando, Magic Sword and King of the Dragons. And 1941 is better than 1943 :|

Final Fantasy V Advance is a truly awesome port of FFV, and well worth playing it (again even).

If you have a Wii you ought to have Twilight Princess. 'nuff said

Bungleist said:

because the game really is too darned short... but then, the same is true of many modern FPS' (Quake 4, FEAR, and Prey to name but a few).

Wha? Those three aren't exactly short.

I completed all three of them in 10 hours or under; personally I call that short :). Do a Google on them, and you'll find I'm far from the only one who feels this way; in fact, Prey's length is one of its most common criticisms.

Longer FPS' I can think of right now are Quake 2, both the Half-lifes, FarCry, most of the Medal of Honour series, and Call of Duty (haven't played either of the sequels yet).

kristus said:

FEAR was atmospheric? I must have missed that bit. :p

Asides from the original Half-life, t'was best in my opinion. Of course, I like my games different than most :) Guess I'll just go in to the expansion with low expectations in hopes of enjoying it :p

Side note: I just now noticed The Rock's pic on Doomworld does the eyebrow thing. nice.

Bungleist said:

...both the Half-lifes...

I'll agree with you on Half-Life 1, but Half-Life 2 can be beaten in six hours.

If you want a long FPS, play Deus Ex, though I'd only marginally call it an FPS. It's more of an RPG crossed with a First Person Sneaker.

Danarchy said:

If you want a long FPS, play Deus Ex, though I'd only marginally call it an FPS. It's more of an RPG crossed with a First Person Sneaker.

Already done so, along with both the System Shocks and all three Thiefs :). I'm eagerly looking forward to the "spiritual successor" (aka "we wanted to make System Shock 3, but Electronic Arts wouldn't give us the license, so we're making this instead") to the System Shock series, BioShock, which is said to be pretty huge.

Johnatone said:

I'll agree with you on Half-Life 1, but Half-Life 2 can be beaten in six hours.

Uh, Half-Life can be beaten in like 3 hours. And the quickest speedrun is like 45 minutes.

If you're into realistic FPS's, I highly suggest Red Orchestra: Ostfront. It came out a number of months ago, and looks a little dated (Unreal Engine 2.5) but it is about a million times more intense than its closest competitor, Day of Defeat Source. Plus its by an indie developer, so you'll feel good about buying it. The community is also surprisingly mature for an online game.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/

Not really recent, but of course, you could also just give in and play what seven million other people are playing anyway. People always say they would never pay a monthly fee for a game until they actually try it. I can hook you up with a 14 day free trial too, if you want.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/

Or, if massive isn't your style, but you want to try an online RPG that has no monthly fee and an interesting take on PvP, Guild Wars: Nightfall just came out and it's a pretty badass game too.

http://www.guildwars.com

AirRaid said:

Uh, Half-Life can be beaten in like 3 hours. And the quickest speedrun is like 45 minutes.

There's a big difference between how fast a game can be beaten and the length of time it takes you on the first attempt.

I would expect that the games I listed as short could be beaten in at least half that time, if not a third.

Bungleist said:

I would expect that the games I listed as short could be beaten in at least half that time, if not a third.

Well, Mr.Know-it-all, why don't you try doing it that fast, then? It seems like it's not a hard thing for you to do.

There is nothing wrong with F.E.A.R. Great single-player and has a nice replay value with its online multiplayer.

Well, the only game I really am interested in is Gothic III, which has been out for a month in Europe and a week in the United States and Canada. I don't know when I'll play it though, since the system requirements exceed my specs and I can't really afford to upgrade anyway. Not to mention I don't have space to download it at the moment.