Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Bible Inconsistencies

here you have a god who has layed down ten simple things that you are not supposed to do, however should you not follow these rules you are doomed to an eternity of pain, agony, torture, and darkness.

...but he loves you....

I like how that big fat list lists the stupidest stuff that can probably be chalked up to bad storytelling (the people who wrote the Bible weren't exactly Charles Dickens). Also, I like how people hold all those crazy letters John and Paul and whoever wrote as scripture. I wouldn't take it as such, merely theology like Mere Christianity. I hope to God himself that no one ever puts C. S. Lewis in a Bible.

Edit: on second thought I guess it is valid to accept it as "scripture" since we're talking about inconsistencies in the Bible, and those are canonical works of the Bible by popular vote. Doesn't mean it's in there for a good reason, though.

That's what happens when people take so long to write books, with the previous authors and editors biting the dust during the centuries of our measly existences, thus not meeting up to sort all the nonsense produced by so many meddling hands.

ler said:
I hope to God himself that no one ever puts C. S. Lewis in a Bible.

Yeah, or Tolkien's dragons, elves, orcs (or goblins), dwarves, and halflings. They're appearing in way too many places as things stand!

The fact that the list starts with the well known Genesis examples shows that it was made by someone who is just seeking attention through taking cheap shots.

Doesn't everyone know that there are in fact 2 independent descriptions of the creation of the world, written in different time periods, included in Genesis?

Belial said:

Doesn't everyone know that there are in fact 2 independent descriptions of the creation of the world, written in different time periods, included in Genesis?

Thanks for posting the most obvious and most known flaw of the Bible. And Bible bashing for the sake of it left after the sixties. Take it as it is. Old stories that were told from generation to generation and were finally bound into a book. Are their inconsistencies? Yes. Chances are stuff is made up? Yes. Was the Bible edited through out the years? Yes.

That pretty much summed it out. The two creation story only proves that its a book of old stories.

I'm not even looking at the list.
You'd have to be a complete Idiot to need one, especially the first major one: kane is one of only two children in the group of the only 4 humans in the world, he kills his brother, then has sex with some humans who are completely unrelated.

basically, what youve posted is one of many sites pointng stuff like this out. the only people who it accounts for are some few zealous Christians and most orthodox jews.
Another point for not being Christian. :b (joking around, By the way, before I start a flame war...) :)

Shadow Dweller said:

here you have a god who has layed down ten simple things that you are not supposed to do, however should you not follow these rules you are doomed to an eternity of pain, agony, torture, and darkness.

...but he loves you....

What? That's why you're supposed to repent. If you're going to point out some type of inconsistency make it one that works.

Belial said:

The fact that the list starts with the well known Genesis examples shows that it was made by someone who is just seeking attention through taking cheap shots.

So does the inclusion of 95% of all the other stuff that has been dealt with at length by all kinds of scholars or theologians decades and even centuries ago, but people will hear what they want to hear.

Shadow Dweller said:

my point was, he has such harsh punishment for someone he "loves" so dearly

It really depends on what testament your reading.

Belial said:

I doubt either of my Christian parents do.

Shadow Dweller said:

my point was, he has such harsh punishment for someone he "loves" so dearly

See, here's a big misconception (at least I gathered it was a misconception the whole time I was a Christian). God didn't make Hell to punish any of US; he made it to put Satan somewhere. When we've gone far from God, we can't go to heaven, and can't go back to Earth, so we go to Hell.

At least, I think that's how it works. Ask a theologian to confirm or whatever.

Which is nearly exactly why I'm not a Christian anymore; My heart doesn't have much faith in specifics.

Danarchy said:
Belief comes from the heart, not some words on paper.

More like habit; the poor heart just pumps blood like a nigger.

They are only inconsistencies if you read them literally. The truth is that God was being ironic when he wrote those passages.

If you have the common sense to realize that the Bible was written by humans over a long period of time, re-written and translated numerous times, and had entire sections purposely removed, then you don't need a list of inconsistencies to convince yourself that it's a purely man-made work with no real purpose in contemporary society. All of those vague metaphors and morals are the kind of thing that should be up to a parent to decide to teach their child. A lot of people act like it's part of the law to follow what it says, and condemn people like me for making my own decision on what's moral or immoral.

myk said:

OMG j00 said nigger!!@!

You're not going to convince people that they made a mistake in beleiveing in a nonexistant creator doing something as mundane as pointing out bible passage inconsistancies. Many of the obvious "attacks" on religion already have precanned responses porpagated around by their teachers.

I would suggest not making such weak and ineffectual attacks on their spirituality, because every time they refute a point made by your weak attacks, it only reassures them that they haven't been living a complete and total lie. You have to try harder...dig deeper...and educate yourself. It also helps to learn and identify logical falicies that religious people are so fond of making, so you can point it out durring a discussion.

Don't bring a gun to a gunfight. Bring a BFG.

myk said:

I wasn't being literal of course. I'm just saying it's better to find your own beliefs using your mind and your instinct than to believe in something just because it's written down on paper.

AlexMax said:

You're not going to convince people that they made a mistake in beleiveing in a nonexistant creator doing something as mundane as pointing out bible passage inconsistancies. Many of the obvious "attacks" on religion already have precanned responses porpagated around by their teachers.

I would suggest not making such weak and ineffectual attacks on their spirituality, because every time they refute a point made by your weak attacks, it only reassures them that they haven't been living a complete and total lie. You have to try harder...dig deeper...and educate yourself. It also helps to learn and identify logical falicies that religious people are so fond of making, so you can point it out durring a discussion.

Don't bring a gun to a gunfight. Bring a BFG.

Attacking religion? :P. Atheism is a religion too, anyway. Don't delude yourself into thinking that because you're not believing in a god that you're not believing in anything. As I once told someone, belief in nothing is still belief in something. God isn't really something you can prove or disprove. He's outside of our senses no matter what religion you follow, and just because you don't see him or hear him or anything like that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. I'd use the air analogy but that would be like casually jumping into a pit of snakes.

ler said:

Attacking religion? :P. Atheism is a religion too, anyway. Don't delude yourself into thinking that because you're not believing in a god that you're not believing in anything. As I once told someone, belief in nothing is still belief in something. God isn't really something you can prove or disprove. He's outside of our senses no matter what religion you follow, and just because you don't see him or hear him or anything like that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. I'd use the air analogy but that would be like casually jumping into a pit of snakes.

At first I thought I'd respond to this but then I realized I couldn't figure out where to begin.

ler said:
Attacking religion? :P. Atheism is a religion too, anyway. Don't delude yourself into thinking that because you're not believing in a god that you're not believing in anything. As I once told someone, belief in nothing is still belief in something.

Not this again... you may be relatively new here, but we had at least one huge thread about this.

Dogma isn't religion (albeit often related). A principle isn't a religion. Atheism isn't a religion. Even theism isn't a religion. While a reminder about the (omnipresent) nature of belief is wise, the mechanism of belief is not equivalent to the upholding of any belief. You can believe an infinitude of things without believeing in anything, especially once you start to percieve how belief is tied to circumstance, and when no belief is "safe".

God isn't really something you can prove or disprove. He's outside of our senses no matter what religion you follow, and just because you don't see him or hear him or anything like that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. I'd use the air analogy but that would be like casually jumping into a pit of snakes.

Why try to disprove something not shown to be true? What would we even be working on or with?

I've been rather skeptical of Dawkins (or at least some of his means of discourse) myself, but after reading a recent issue of some magazine (was it Time?) where he was crossed with some genome geneticist that came out like something of a quack (aside from any possible excellence dealing with genetics, that is) by saying what you just said, he earned some respect from my part.

ler said:

just because you don't see him or hear him or anything like that doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

This is a stunning argument. The tooth fairy and santa too, or would you like to point out the fundamental reasons they couldn't possibly be, while judeo-christian god could exist?

I'd use the air analogy but that would be like casually jumping into a pit of snakes.

Yeah, you probably shouldn't do that.