Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Vanilla map tricks

OK, so I'm looking for some info on what I believe involves dummy sectors. Specifically, I'd like to have a section in my (Vanilla) map where a platform sinks below a damaging floor-- where consequently the player gets damaged. I'm pretty sure I've seen this in a Vanilla map, however I could be smoking crack. EDIT: By the way, is there a way to do with with a normal elevator as opposed to permanently?

If someone could give me a rundown on how dummy sectors work, that'd help as well.

A dummy sector is a set of linedefs (usually a triangle, square or rectangle) located somewhere the player can never see or reach, that share the same sector as a set of lindefs located within the playable area.

Let's say you want to lower a platform to 16 units below the neighbouring sectors. There's no linedef type specifically to do that - all that's available is lower to the highest neighbouring floor, lower to the lowest neighbouring floor, and lower to 8 units above the highest neighbouring floor.

What you'd need to do is introduce another sector which is at the height you want the platform to lower to, and use one of the lower to lowest neighbouring floor linedef types. You could, of course, place this new sector in the visitable area... or you could use a dummy sector.

To do this, you would create a new sector somewhere that will be unavailable to the player unless they use the IDCLIP cheat; some level designers find that right outside the current room is most convenient, whilst others prefer placing all the level's dummy sectors next to each other.

Select the linedefs that make up this new sector, and make them use the same sector as the platform instead; for example, if the platform is sector 15, the new set of linedefs you've just created should be set to sector15, too. The new sector can then be deleted, since no linedefs make use of it (some level editors do this automatically).

Now create a brand new sector that joins on to the new set of lines, and assign it the floor height you want the platform to lower to. Now when you activate the linedef that lowers the platform, it will lower to the height of the sector which adjoins the dummy sector, rather than the sector which adjoins the regular sector.

Other way is hidding the dummy sector in a wall, and giving it the same ceiling and floor height (sector height = 0), add upper lower textures, give upper and lower unpeged flags, align the x coordinates and voila.
You can also make floor raise and change to the upper floor texture (like in E1m3). To explore the lower and change check out E3M6.

Much thanks. I'll poke through the IWAD. I've misplaced UDoom but I'm sure there's something I can find in 2.

To add to my earlier question:
Are there any Vanilla tricks that won't work in source ports?

Depends which source port. For example, anything using voodoo dolls is currently broken in Legacy (they keep promising this will be fixed, but I haven't heard of a release in which it is yet -- please correct me if I'm wrong ^_^) Most GL ports cannot handle any renderer hacks such as deep water, "3D" bridges, etc.

Do not rely on the height change from a RaiseByShortestLowerTexture effect remaining the same across all ports - or at least, make sure you have a sidedef around your sector whose lower texture is the same height as AASHITTY / AASTINKY / whatever the first texture in the texture list is, depending on game version.

Don't use multiple distinct pillar sectors inside the same slime pool sector when using a type 9 (donut) effect - in Boom-based ports only the pillar with the lowest-numbered sector will lower (in Doom, they all do and the speed the pool rises at is multiplied by the number of pillars) For example see the end of E1M7 of CH_retroeps.

Try to avoid a player or monster being able to activate more than 8 special lines at once, 16 repeatable switches, etc.

Consider placing impassible-to-monster lines around dropoffs - in Doom, monsters cannot fall off cliffs but in Boom-based ports they can, and can become unkillable that way (but if you feel this adversely affects your map, don't do it, people can just play it in Doom2 mode)

If you construct your own textures try to avoid using patches with negative y-offsets. I realise these aren't exactly "tricks" but they are things one should bear in mind when attempting mapping for a variety of engines.

Quasar said:

anything using voodoo dolls is currently broken in Legacy (they keep promising this will be fixed, but I haven't heard of a release in which it is yet -- please correct me if I'm wrong ^_^)

It's fixed in the current 2.0 code, but it might be a while before that's ready for an official release. Feel free to check out one of the unofficial alpha builds posted on the wiki.

Bucket said:

OK, so I'm looking for some info on what I believe involves dummy sectors. Specifically, I'd like to have a section in my (Vanilla) map where a platform sinks below a damaging floor-- where consequently the player gets damaged. I'm pretty sure I've seen this in a Vanilla map, however I could be smoking crack. EDIT: By the way, is there a way to do with with a normal elevator as opposed to permanently?

If someone could give me a rundown on how dummy sectors work, that'd help as well.

Hacx Map03 did this. It's really simple really.