Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Savage

The appeal of Doom 3

Just curios, i'd just like to know why big daddy Doom's still the talk of the town while this corner of the Doom World forums is as quiet as a ghost (!overuse of metaphors!). What makes the original better and more interesting than the prodigy? Personally, as much as i love the classics, i love the next-gen sequel much much more. And that's saying something.

as much as i love the classics

Well, then you know why we post here, and kristus made a point about why we don't post in the DOOM 3 section.

What I like most about DOOM 3 is that it blew some additional breeze towards DOOM and DOOM II for a while (the movie might have helped some, too). If it continues to do so, cheers and long live DOOM 3!

The only thing that appealed to me about Doom 3 was the atmosphere and graphics. Of course, that gets old quick. The game was far to easy for my taste, the weapons sound effects were lame, and they just beat the spawn in effect to death. Very, very repetitive game. Sometimes I think id was trying to make the players into zombies!!!!

baronofhell said:

The only thing that appealed to me about Doom 3 was the atmosphere and graphics. Of course, that gets old quick. The game was far to easy for my taste, the weapons sound effects were lame, and they just beat the spawn in effect to death. Very, very repetitive game. Sometimes I think id was trying to make the players into zombies!!!!

If only I knew for certain that you weren't expecting a direct sequel to the previous 2 games. Keep in mind id weren't planning on it to be like the prequels.

I liked Doom 3 more than the average person because I liked what they were trying to go for - a frightening, dark, atmospheric world where you watch out for demons that want to get you. Although sluggish compared to the classics, Doom 3 was a pretty fast-paced single-player FPS compared to FEAR, Far Cry, Half-Life 2, etc. The gameplay I liked a lot because it kept it simple; each weapon has one firing mode and the monsters have the same patterns. The graphics are still holding up as newer cards unlock its potential as well.
However I favor the classics more because they are faster-paced in speed and tend to have more monsters, which is the gameplay style I prefer instead of Doom 3's horror intense action.

BTW I noticed last year that the choice of weapons in the Hell level are a throwback to the old Dooms, as all the ones you get are classic weapons - no flashlight, machineguns or grenades! That level to me is probably the only level that I liked a lot more than most of the classic levels.

DeumReaper said:

BTW I noticed last year that the choice of weapons in the Hell level are a throwback to the old Dooms, as all the ones you get are classic weapons - no flashlight, machineguns or grenades! That level to me is probably the only level that I liked a lot more than most of the classic levels.

I do believe id seriously skimped on the Hell part of Doom 3. Dedicating it to one level (though amply sized) didn't do it for me. I was originally expecting at least a few levels to be in Hell. And in my opinion there were also too many tech base levels (like 2/3 of the whole game existed in tech base levels). Still, despite some repetitiveness, the game was as enjoyable as could be with my 5-15 fps.

DeumReaper said:
Doom 3 was a pretty fast-paced single-player FPS compared to FEAR, Far Cry, Half-Life 2, etc.

Only have experience with FarCry, but I thought that game was more fast-paced than Doom 3. Doom 3's gameplay got old in a hurry. Plus, I was much more impressed with Far Cry's lush outdoor environments than Doom 3's graphics.

The Doom3 forum here on doomworld was a great place to discuss and spceculate about Doom3 in the years *before* it was released :)

The best post-release community is doom3world.org now, while doomworld has always primarely been the place for the old Doom games.

Tetzlaff said:

The Doom3 forum here on doomworld was a great place to discuss and spceculate about Doom3 in the years *before* it was released :)

The best post-release community is doom3world.org now, while doomworld has always primarely been the place for the old Doom games.

Prezice! My hopes for Doom3 where so high, and the game so meh, that the implosion destroyed the doom3 forums.

I thought the game was good, just.. well.. different? I wish there was more hell levels though.

I enjoyed it, but it deffiently doesent feel the same as the classic everyone loves.

doom 3 is just far too repetative to me and lacks challenge. the monsters all became alien-like and lost all the luciferian appeal of the originals (except the Guardian boss). the tech setting got boring after the first few hours of gameplay, and even the scare-factor dissipates once you realize the shotgun can handle anything in the game.

Doom 3 was just one more tedious game in an endless streak of boring modern games that were all graphics and no fun.

I got so tired half way through that I got rid of it.

Long live the classics!

MasterOfPuppets said:
the monsters all became alien-like and lost all the luciferian appeal of the originals (except the Guardian boss).

They just had a more modern aspect, that didn't seem too bad to me, given the focus of the design. Sarge and the Soul cube seemed kind of unappealing, though, because of their "spiritual" character, as opposed to the original game's somewhat more materialist approach. DOOM never cared to flesh out or explain some things past the consequences of the UAC meddling with strange stuff, unleashing the havoc the lonely marine finds himself in, while DOOM 3 muddled their charm by making them into something more akin to some movie with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves.

Graf Zahl said:

Doom 3 was just one more tedious game in an endless streak of boring modern games that were all graphics and no fun.

I got so tired half way through that I got rid of it.

Long live the classics!

I bet Carmack's feeling the love right about now.

*At that moment, right around the Globe...*

Carmack: *Flinches* 'Something terrible has happened!'

Instead of being plain-deadly figures, the monsters should have had terrible supernatural abilities which would be used under specific AI. If anything, the gameplay would have been better if the monsters had personality and varying degrees of intelligence. Not to mention scores of satanic (i)magery, witch seem to scare the lots a lot.

If the game was supposed to be horror, it had to be Doom horror, not necessarily a broken twist between shooting and screaming.

I've recently played through both Doom 3 and RoE once again, after 2 years or so of first visiting them, and to be honest I enjoyed them much more this time than I did when I first played through them. Partly becuase my newer PC is able to run them flawlessly at full spec, but partly because the game(s) have grown on me somehow. Intense, claustrophobic (sp?) atmosphere that, lore and behold, can actually make you jump, if you set your mind in the right mood.

Aside: however you look at it gameplay-wise, the production quality was/is outstanding, no arguements.

After having beat it rather easilly. I decided to up the ante a bit by playing it in Veteran w/o using the artifacts. Playing RoE with the SSG against the vulgars w/o helltime and all that jizz, it's really fun.

The berzerker hellhunter were something of a pickle to handle. But with the right tactic you can deal him down. I'm just now at the teleport lab in RoE. We'll see if I can take it all w/o the artifact at all (I did use the artifact in those helltime puzzels in the beginning, yeah I uck.). Hopefully I won't be forced to use it on Betruger. But, then again. His meteor attack is rather hard to evade. :p

I personally loved DOOM 3. Unmatched art direction, in my opinion, and solid, proven gameplay overall. I even liked the minimalist multiplayer approach. I, primarily a CPM player, found it fun to play some dm that wasn't so sterile in terms of item control and decidedly "bad" weapon balance.