Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Foofoo

Know of any reality-wannabe wads?

I'm in the mood for playing one of those wads where they try to mimick something in real life, like a town or city or something. Anyone know of any good ones? also, something not too big in the megabyte department if you dont mind.
thanks <3

Heh, odd that whenever this topic comes up, it's always a few posts before someone mentions what is arguably the most realistic wad of them all:- Earth, by Roger Ritenour. Phobos and Pleiades, both by the same author, are set in fantastical environments (space stations and the like) but portrayed in a more realistic manner than is usual.

Caverns of Darkness and Phobos: Anomaly Reborn also deserve honourable mentions. Again they're mostly based in fantastical locations, but look far more believable than your average wad.

There's also Phocas Island 2, which despite being for a source port (GZDoom) is rather terrific. In some ways it's more surreal than real (for instance, you blow out candles to restore your health). Though I suppose that's definitely a bigger file than those listed above.

Bungleist said:
Again they're mostly based in fantastical locations, but look far more believable than your average wad.

Haven't played Caverns of Darkness much, but P:AR isn't any more believable than, let's say, Knee Deep in the Dead, because so many of its effects try so hard with the limited resources that the result can be less engrossing. Realistic in the sense of aiming to illlustrate something apparently real, sure, but not more "believable".

Like, if you create an area that's been destroyed by an explosion but you leave clean textures there as opposed to blackened edges and such, the result, looks like something from '94 when people hardly knew how to change resources, but with tons more detail. I'd say that's the main reason why the "gothic" styled maps in P:AR generally look better than the base styled ones.

Grazza said:
Others that spring to mind:

Once you reviewed one depicting a book store.

Grazza said:

And Christian Hansen made some wads that are based on USS Voyager. While that's not a real place, parts of it exist(ed) within a production studio, I suppose.

Wow, thanks for the... erhm, honourable mention! I had almost forgot all about those, I mean, they are seriously old, late nineties. Ahh, the memories...

On the subject though, I think Tommie Quick's "Trust" will serve your hunger well.

Bungleist said:

Heh, odd that whenever this topic comes up, it's always a few posts before someone mentions what is arguably the most realistic wad of them all:- Earth, by Roger Ritenour. Phobos and Pleiades, both by the same author, are set in fantastical environments (space stations and the like) but portrayed in a more realistic manner than is usual.

It's unfortunate that those wads don't work in the new versions of ZDoom anymore. The skies are all fucked up.

Chris Hansen said:

On the subject though, I think Tommie Quick's "Trust" will serve your hunger well.

Wow, that map was pretty cool. I should find more of his maps.

EDIT: Oops, I double posted. Sorry about that. I didn't realize that I already posted in here earlier.