Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

yet another random wad comp(etion/ilation) idea

ok if you're the type of person who thinks that coming up with 1024 or 2sector style "limitation" wads is lame then exit this thread now

gone? good

right, er, how about a miniwad competition, though off the top of my head i don't know how much space things take up but if you had a size of 32k to play with then the choice of how much of that k was taken up on segs, lines or things would be up to the mapper (lots of lines but few segs and monsters, for example). obviously sidedef compression would be ok and the really cheeky might be able to squeeze some custom gfx in there too.

actually therefore there could be two categories: with custom gfx and without, the former allowing double the size.

thoughts? any idea what sort of bytecount would be suitably limiting?

32k was a number i pulled out of my ass, i'm all for giving it a go with a more reasonable (but still suitably limiting) limit. I think phase 1 should be no custom resourses required, and just see what people can come up with.

Oh and Boom compatible, none of this advanced port merjigherry

sorry if my forum posts today area a little on the surreal side i'm recovering from a really dodgy cold and am knackered

cycloid said:
Oh and Boom compatible, none of this advanced port merjigherry

Boom is an advanced port.

Personaly I don't think it's such a good idea, the other competitions (10 sectors, 1024, one monster that I know isn't really a competition) While limit left authors a whole lot of space in other department. On the other hand this sounds more like limit for the sake of limit (whatever you do must be limited. It'd lead mappers to remove parts of their maps to keep them inside, droping ideas and potential with it.

Then again, this is just my opinion.

well, it was just an idea. and i don't actually know the real implications of it but the theory is that you can have lots of sectors, or lots of lines, or lots of things but the overall size limit means you have to compromise each of those, and that's where the forced creativity comes in. to get the sector count down you can merge your sectors for a start, making it a bit like a 10sector comp. but not.