Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

If there was a Quake movie..

Asuming it's well done, wich plot would you like to see in the big screen.

Quake
Strogg
Arena Eternal

Although I love Quake1, I think the strogg invasion/defeat would be a better story for a movie.

Assuming it's well done? That would never happen, so your question is pointless, really. But even then the quake storylines are shit. To make them "good" or to make them be movies you'd want to watch, you'd have to change everything about them. Quake wasn't a good game because it had a gripping story. Quake 2 and 4 would be better choices but they aren't that great either.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few guys running around with a bunch of really big guns shooting up tons of Lovecraft type monsters, just as long as it doesn't involve telefragging Shub-Niggurath.

I once said that if they make a Quake movie, they should just base it off the Doom story sorta, make it an Army Ranger fighting Demons from Hell that were accidently summoned on a Lunar research base that was studying teleportation.

There was a Quake movie, although it was done within the engine. It was over 3 hours long and explained in detail the story of Quake.

If there was a Quake movie, I'd wait for it to be released on DVD, wait for someone else to buy it, and then borrow it from them. That's exactly what I did with the Doom movie, and I'm glad, because that movie did not deserve one God damn penny out of me or anyone else.

On a lighter note, it should star The Rock in every single role.

Nehahra was a great tribute to the game, since it did fill in a lot of potential story ideas (SPOILER ALERT!):

- The purpose of the Abandoned Base (dm3) before it was abandoned, as well as other techbases from the game.
- The words spoken in the manual's story are tied to real characters.
- Why was it that defeating Chthon and Shub-Niggurath seemed just too convenient...
- The origin of the codename Quake, who the Vaults of Zin (e3m2) were named for, the subtle reference when the Place of Two Deaths was used as a set, etc.

That list continues on... plus it makes the Quake marine the most unlikely of heroes, but it was an awesome twist.

who the Vaults of Zin (e3m2) were named for

Do a Find for Zin here till you get to the signature of the 11th Feby. 1928 letter.

Ichor said:
just as long as it doesn't involve telefragging Shub-Niggurath.

That might work out well in a movie, more so than in a game, at least.

A Quake movie should be possible, at least concentrating on setting up the ambientation and the action (which would be the facets that would really matter in a Quake, or even DOOM, movie).

And Quake II would be a completely different movie.

Anyway, maybe we can get Uwe Boll to make them both!

Ichor said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a few guys running around with a bunch of really big guns shooting up tons of Lovecraft type monsters, just as long as it doesn't involve telefragging Shub-Niggurath.

Except the movie will actually be about the Chthulu Gene, a latent genetic quirk of the human body that decides whether or not a normal person transforms into a black-haired Pagan who walks around with steel-toed boots carrying a diary.

myk said:

Do a Find for Zin here till you get to the signature of the 11th Feby. 1928 letter.

Oh... I woulda just said the ogre named Zin in the movie, heh.

rf` said:

Doom had more of a storyline than quake

Sadly, this is true.

They can still be summarized in a sentence though.

Doom : Monsters have invaded. You are alone, everyone you knew is dead or undead. Kill shit.

Quake : Monsters have invaded. You are alone. Kill shit.

Naked Snake said:

Sadly, this is true.

They can still be summarized in a sentence though.

Doom : Monsters have invaded. You are alone, everyone you knew is dead or undead. Kill shit.

Quake : Monsters have invaded. You are alone. Kill shit.

You fucking lie! Each one of those is THREE sentences!

Plus the one for Doom more or less applies to Quake anyway, with those meat chunk flinging zombies... some of which could well be people you knew (or maybe in the movie the hero removes the helmet from a fallen Death Knight to find... it's his father, perverted by the Quakeness!).

A Quake movie could be easier to pull off than a Doom movie. War, aliens, lots of explosions and gore. Can't go wrong with that. And one shouldn't ever hope for a deep plot or very good storyline because after all, it would be based on a id game!!!

The Strogg invasion would be the best storyline. It seemed to be the most thought out (even if most of the plot was ripped from Starship Troopers) and it now has two whole games based around it.

Considering they were both released the same year, I doubt they ripped either from either. Not that it's much to ripp off anyway. Aliens invade earth, earth retaliate. It's not a novel concept by any means. And had you never suggested it, I doubt I would have ever considered there being a connection between the two franchises.

The same basic premise are present in Quake1 aswell. Aliens attack earth, you the protagonist take the fight to them.

kristus said:
Considering they were both released the same year, I doubt they ripped either from either.

Even the movie Aliens is a Startship Troopers rip. Starship Troopers is a novel from 1959.

Since DOOM is an "Aliens" game, it's also a Starship Troopers rip, indirectly.

If we wanted a movie based on Quake 2/4, we could always suggest that they make the movie based on Quake 1, and they would foul it up like they always do and change it so much that it would be a lot closer to Quake 2.

I suggest Quake Tests ouch noise would make word of the year.

Yeeedel deeedel dee

EDIT: I've been looking everywhere for the Star ship troopers novel.

Try your local library. That's where I found a copy. I kind of liked the movie better though, despite its campiness.

Johnatone said:

If there was a Quake movie, I'd wait for it to be released on DVD, wait for someone else to buy it, and then borrow it from them. That's exactly what I did with the Doom movie, and I'm glad, because that movie did not deserve one God damn penny out of me or anyone else.

That's a little harsh, ain't it?

I mean, I thought it wasn't good movie by any means, but I was willing to pay the 15 bucks for the DVD just because it's the Doom movie.

Texas Libra said:

That's a little harsh, ain't it?

Yeah, it was a bit harsh. Still, after the Tomb Raider, Mortal Combat and Super Mario Bros. movies, I vowed never to pay to see a VG movie again. Giving money to those people just encourages them to make more crappy VG movies. Granted my one man boycott won't do anything to stop it, but I'm stubborn.

On the Starship Troopers comment, the book owns. Heinlein is one of my favorite writers, and I was more than disappointed at the POS that was the movie. From a director like Paul Verhoven, I would've expected better; the man brought us such classics as Robocop and Basic Instinct. But yeah, it's funny how Quake and Aliens were ST ripoffs. What annoyed me though was Bungie's ripoff in Halo: the Hell Jumpers. Actually, everything is Halo was ripped off of everything else. Damn fun (if buggy) multiplayer though.