Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lupinx-Kassman

Vanilla Hexen and Zdoom

I want to know what the differances between vanilla hexen and Hexen in Zdoom format are. I mean the only differance I can think of right off the bat is: slopes and deep water. Are there any others? Because I always thought of Zdoom as a great way to incorparate all of Hexen's features into doom and other simialer engines, using a higher resolution option.

To make the question short- What are the differances between Vanilla Hexen and Hexen in Zdoom format?

I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more linedef and sector specials, as well as ZDoom-only linedef specials like slopes, mirrors, horizons, transfer heights, transfer lights, etc...

You mean Hexen in ZDoom as playing Hexen in ZDoom or any game in ZDoom? I could tell lots of differences 'tween doom.exe and zdoom.exe; a few differences between heretic.exe and zdoom.exe; just a few (if any) between hexen.exe and zdoom.exe (not really sure w/ the latter). If you want to see editability differences, then they're a lot.

I guess that playing hexen under ZDoom wouldn't "defile" nearly anything game-specific, as it could do under older engines like Doom (most notably the scenery behaviour).

He's talking about differences in the map formats. They're quite similar actually, because ZDoom-Hexen format is based off of the Hexen format, obviously. The main differences are there are some additional ZDoom features, that are not found in Hexen, slopes or stealth monsters for example. If you really need to know exactly what ZDoom-Hexen has to offer over plain old Hexen, then compare some configuration files from your editor. These config files tell your editor what specials and extra things to add to the menus and such.

You didn't asked for this, but I can't resist to mention it.

The Heresiarch's behoviour has some minor diferences. At least in the older versions of Zdoom it hurted himself with his purple attack. Another diference is that in Zdoom you can destroy the three figures that float over the Heresiarch by touching them when you fly, hurting him (and yourself if you are vulnerable). Sounds like a clever strategy, indeed it is, but it's a bug, in vanilla Hexen this doesn't happen.

Zedek's projectiles do more damage in Zdoom than in vanilla Hexen (I find this a good thing).

Vegeta said:

You didn't asked for this, but I can't resist to mention it.

The Heresiarch's behoviour has some minor diferences. At least in the older versions of Zdoom it hurted himself with his purple attack. Another diference is that in Zdoom you can destroy the three figures that float over the Heresiarch by touching them when you fly, hurting him (and yourself if you are vulnerable). Sounds like a clever strategy, indeed it is, but it's a bug, in vanilla Hexen this doesn't happen.

Maybe in older versions but in the latest one you can't fly into the cubes anymore to make them explode.

Zedek's projectiles do more damage in Zdoom than in vanilla Hexen (I find this a good thing).

What makes you say that? The projectile's properties are exactly the same.