Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dr_st

E3M8 - Dis

So this is the question: Dis what? Why was E3M8 called Dis? What is the meaning of the name?

OK, thanks. I understand better now. So what is "Dis" according to Dante? (we all know what Limbo is)

Guess you also didnt know that Mount Erubus has two meanings? Mount Erubus is a volcano and Erubus is a greek God whos brother is night (nyx).

First of all, it's Erebus, not Erubus. Second, I know who Erebus was according to the mythology, and that Mount Erebus is the mountain of the dead. Finally, I indeed did not know about the volcano thing. Do you mean that there is a volcano called "Mount Erebus" or that "Mount Erebus" means "volcano"?

Still, meeting a Spiderdemon for the first time is as exciting as meeting a Cybie.

Still, meeting a Spiderdemon for the first time is as exciting as meeting a Cybie.

even more since the spider comes after the cyb so it makes you think the spider is more powerfull! What a big DISapointment the spidy comes out to be, eh?

The real Mt. Erebus is in Antarctica, I think.

Also, Dis is the other name for Pluto, the Roman equivelent to Hades in Greek mythology. I should know this 'cuz I'm a Latin student.

That, and Gate to Limbo, is taken from Dante.

The weird thing is, it wasn't called Gate to Limbo until Ultimate Doom came out. Or am I wrong? I just always though it was simply "limbo" in the original registered Doom, then in Ultimate they changed it...hmm...

The weird thing is, it wasn't called Gate to Limbo until Ultimate Doom came out. Or am I wrong? I just always though it was simply "limbo" in the original registered Doom, then in Ultimate they changed it...hmm...

It's "Limbo" on the map, "Gate to Limbo" on the intermission screen.

Actually I think e3m8 is a bit harder than e2m8. In e2m8 there's plenty of room to dodge those rockets so the cyberdemon should be pretty easy to beat. In e3m8 you have to use a little stragety because the spiderdemon has a powerful chaingun cannon which means you can't just fight it in the open.

Actually I think e3m8 is a bit harder than e2m8. In e2m8 there's plenty of room to dodge those rockets so the cyberdemon should be pretty easy to beat. In e3m8 you have to use a little stragety because the spiderdemon has a powerful chaingun cannon which means you can't just fight it in the open.

Right, the first time I've reached that level, I get perforated in 2 seconds...
(I like the cry of the Spiderdemon, gorgeous !)

Warrens - it's like rabbitholes, and used to refer to tight accomodations. Think how it can be used in reference to E3M9. Maybe there is another meaning I'm not aware of.

E2M8 is definitely easier from scratch than E3M8, because you have plenty of health, ammo and armor, and it's easier to dodge the Cybie. The one risk is when playing on a higher difficulty, you can fire a rocket at a lost soul while it flies at you, and that is gonna hurt.

In E3M8 you are tight on ammo, have no health, and Spidie's harder to dodge, with the rapid fire. But since it's easy to set him on the Cacos or the Baron you can waste him nonetheless.

But if playing from the beginning of the episode, E3M8 is a joke, because you will have a BFG, that you won't have in E2M8. Two blasts at the spider from point blank range, and he's toast.

Fah, E3M8 is WAY easier than E2M8. The spiderdemon's nothing compared to if you make one slip-up with the cyberdemon.

You can't get the BFG in E2??? I swear it's there somewhere...look harder or something.

And actually I found taking on the spider from scratch a lot easier. There's some goodies on the catwalk and in the center thing, plus the spider's not too hard to dodge if you run around the thing in the center rather than try to circle strafe the thing. Then there's the other baddies that can help you kill the spider.

E3M9-Warrens. Explain that.

Warrens are rabbitholes. I guess they're comparing that room with the bajillion alcoves with soldiers in them to warrens or something.

You can't get the BFG in E2??? I swear it's there somewhere...look harder or something.

No. There is no BFG in E2. You can take a look at the item counts in The Official DOOM FAQ.

And actually I found taking on the spider from scratch a lot easier. There's some goodies on the catwalk and in the center thing, plus the spider's not too hard to dodge if you run around the thing in the center rather than try to circle strafe the thing. Then there's the other baddies that can help you kill the spider.

Well, duh. That's impossible otherwise. You can't circle-strafe a monster who has rapid fire. With the Cyberdemon it takes longer, but it is safer. Or maybe not... Well, they both are very easy.

uh huh? so you can't just run around the map once so the other demons attack the spidy? By the time the spidy takes care of 'em he's already half dead, and you have more then enough ammo to finish him off from previous levels, hell you even probably have the BFG maxed out by now and I know that with those other monsters fucking him up and a couple shots of the bfg that map is EASY compared to e2m8.

If you want to dodge go inside the little room with the plasma rifle, make the spidy move, when he moves to see you shoot him, go back in, make him move again, and so on.

E2M8 is definitely easier from scratch than E3M8, because you have plenty of health, ammo and armor, and it's easier to dodge the Cybie

Actually it's harder then you say it is, you gotta take in hand that just moving from the rocket's direction isn't enough, you have to make sure you don't have something behind you like a wall so the rocket doesn't hit that and give you damage. Plus those lost souls are anoying, and unlike the monsters in e3m8 they do not do a lot of serious damage to the cyb.

There, with that said e2m8 is harder than e3m8 =P

From the DOOM FAQ:

Here is a chart that shows on which level in each episode you can pick up
each weapon.

.-----------------------------------.
| Weapon | E1M | E2M | E3M |
|-----------------------------------|
| Chain saw | 2 | 2 | 5 |
| Shotgun + | 1 | 1 | 1 |
| Chain gun | 2 | 2 | 2 |
| Rocket launcher | 3 | 2 | 1 |
| Plasma gun | - | 1 | 2 |
| BFG9000 | - | - | 3 |
`-----------------------------------'

+: Can also be picked up from the first dead sergeant.

No. There is no BFG in E2. You can take a look at the item counts in The Official DOOM FAQ.

I could have sworn that there was a bfg in e2, I don't play that episode often though so I'm not surprised. But that only helps me because now you have a bfg to use on the spidy and you didn't on the cyb. So yes, indeed, e2m8 is harder than e3m8! hmmuahahaha

Well, duh. That's impossible otherwise. You can't circle-strafe a monster who has rapid fire. With the Cyberdemon it takes longer, but it is safer. Or maybe not... Well, they both are very easy.

Is plasma not considered rapid fire? The easiest way to beat Arachnotrons is to circle-strafe them.

Allright, I'll explain what I meant.

I said E2M8 was easier, because it's very straightforward. In E3M8, however, you can't just charge at Spidey, because you stand no chance. And also, there is less ammo to waste.

But when you know what to do, they are both very easy. On E2M8 once I get rid of the Lost Souls, I can usually beat the Cyberdemon without any rocket touching me. It's not hard at all if you keep a safe distance. And of course E3M8 is easy to do if you hide behind or inside the central building. I'm talking about from scratch, because if you got the BFG, the game is over before it's begun.

About the rapid fire, you're right, I should have been more accurate. There are other factors to keep in mind, such as pain chance and overall health. With arachnotrons, 3 SSG blasts are enough, and in 99% of the cases, the little spider will be temporarily in pain and seize fire when you hit it, so you've got time to reload. It's not the same with the Spider MM, because a) he's pain chance is much less and he isn't likely to stop firing, b) his fire is not only rapid but instant, so you can't dodge it, and c) he is much tougher and will likely kill you before you kill him (unless you got BFG).

I said E2M8 was easier, because it's very straightforward. In E3M8, however, you can't just charge at Spidey, because you stand no chance. And also, there is less ammo to waste.

So you can charge a cyb, but not a spidy? There's more ammo to waste actually, a cyb is tougher than a spidy.

But when you know what to do, they are both very easy. On E2M8 once I get rid of the Lost Souls, I can usually beat the Cyberdemon without any rocket touching me. It's not hard at all if you keep a safe distance. And of course E3M8 is easy to do if you hide behind or inside the central building.

The lost souls usually end up taking more damage from me then the spidy since you can't really make them all go against the cyb like you could with the spidy.

I'm talking about from scratch, because if you got the BFG, the game is over before it's begun.

oh... I'm talking about from the normal e3m1 start because I meant that the first time I defeated the spidy I excpected a more challenging fight then I had with the cyb.

So to clarify what I'm saying is that if you start from e2m1 e2m8 is harder than e3m8 would be if you started from e3m1. Otherwise yes you are right, you don't get nearly the same amount of weapons in DIS then in the Tower of Babel to finish the spidy of easily if you are starting with a pistol.

OK, thanks. I understand better now. So what is "Dis" according to Dante? (we all know what Limbo is)

All right, here we go.

"Dis" is the term used for Satan (choose your own other term here if you like) in Canto 34.

The original 3-episodes-of-nine-levels format of Doom is based (1) on symmetry and (2) on a parallel to The Divine Comedy. Hell is composed of nine circles, and TDC is composed of three 33-canto sections, plus one introductory canto.

The name of Episode 3 is obvious (the title of the first section of TDC).

For those of you who don't know, Limbo is the first circle of Hell. Since Dis resides in the ninth circle of Hell, one must assume that all of Episode 3, outside the last two levels, is not actually in Hell. One can attribute this to either the good folks at id Software taking creative license (likely) or just not being familiar with TDC (less likely).

Doom 2 was originally intended to have 34 levels.

Interesting, huh?