Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jobro

Is there any intrests in this?

Would a mod with reverbing sounds be useful for you?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would a mod with reverbing sounds be useful for you?

• This would be a really nice addon
    • I\'d have a go testing it at least.
    • Useful, but not for my needs
    • No, Doom should be played as Doom and nothing else.

I've noticed that Doom has very little space in it's sound system. The original samples sounds like they where recorded in a booth in a studio somewhere. What about if I started to revamp the samples fitting them with a slight reverb and packing 'em into a new wad? Would you guys use it, or is this allready done by someone else? What's the policy from ID? Would they mind me modifying the original samples if I release the wad as freeware (had no other thoughts in my mind anyway). I made this with a few samples and it sounds so much better then the standard dry samples. But I want to ask you first before I go ahead and make a full mod.

I'm fairly sure the people making Freedoom is doing something like that, along with new textures, sprites, etc. to make everything legal.

jobro said:
What about if I started to revamp the samples fitting them with a slight reverb and packing 'em into a new wad? Would you guys use it, or is this allready done by someone else? What's the policy from ID? Would they mind me modifying the original samples if I release the wad as freeware (had no other thoughts in my mind anyway).

Their policy is that you can release modified parts of their game content (resources) if it is released exclusively for use with the specific game you've taken it from.

As for the question; I personally don't really need such an addon, as I feel the sounds as they are fit in just fine with the way the games look.

Look this minor test was done 11 years ago in a small scale and I don't have the wad anymore, but if anyone can direct me to where I can download wintex or xwe (preferable wintex, know it better) then I can have a quick overhaul of some samples.

Dunno, doesn't sound like a very good idea. More specifically, the idea of adding a PERMANENT reverb effect to the standard sound effects doesn't sound good. It would only make sense if you were in a place where you are supposed to hear reverb e.g. empty rooms and halls, but not on a house's backyard.

Those modern games that have reverb also have a primitive location-dependant system ( a full acoustic simulation model would be too much) to apply simple effects like echo, muffling etc.

The effects themselves are rarely real-time (unless supported by the hardware) but more conveniently use multiple versions of a same sound.

In DOOM, that would only make sense with an advanced source port supporting *at least* some kind of location-specific scripting in order to choose between "reverbed" and "non-reverbed" samples. Honestly, there was nothing more annoying that those 1994 wad replacing the pistol sound with a long, echoing spaghetti-western like gunshot with ricocheting sound....and just applying reverb to all samples would result in something equally annoying.

Fucking around with sounds in CoolEdit does not make them sound cooler, despite what the name might imply. It will just make the game sound annoying.

I'm not using CoolEdit because of the cool name, but because of it's cool features. I agree that the sounds may not be cooler, but at least they make a little bit more room feeling then the normal sounds.

leileilol said:

why not just turn on reverb in a modern sound card's "environment" panel?

Read the previous posts: it has no sense having reverb everywhere and everytime, e.g. by altering all sound samples permanently or using a permanent reverb effect.

Modern games that have it, actually apply the effect selectively based on distance, room geometry, or simply scripting, NOT everytime. If somebody wants to make a sound-enhanced source port with a complex acoustic model be my guest, but NOT by permanently altering samples.

Read the above comments about those WADs replacing the pistol sound with some ricocheting spaghetti western gunshot shot in the Grand Canyon....and totally raping your ears and making them bleed. No, thanks.

Graf Zahl said:

Nobody needs nonsense like you suggest.

Maes is expressing his want for something like that, and giving his reasoning for it.

Jorbo has asked the community if they want some sounds of reverb. Hes not asking any one else to do it.

Besides, I dont need it, but If it turns in to something cool, Ill want it too.

Edit--

Sorry, muddled what I was going to say, that and I didnt read all of maes' posts.

Ill just say what I was thinking then, it would be cool to see reverb effect put in to doom, by switching to the different noizes depending on the distance from the monster or something.
meh, sorry, ill read every post next time :(

Macro11_1 said:
Maes is expressing his want for something like that,

o rly?

Maes said:

Read the previous posts: it has no sense having reverb everywhere and everytime, e.g. by altering all sound samples permanently or using a permanent reverb effect.

There's a lot of things that got no sense to it, but people like it/use it anyway. And that wans't the matter at hand. The point of Leileilols post were that it was easier to just set the reverb effect to your soundcard rather than manually change all sounds.
And since this feature is existing, I am guessing that people like to use it. Atleast some people.

Let's set this straight once and for all:

A MOD with all-reverbing sounds: sounds like jokewad material (no pun intended).

A serious enhanced acoustic engine for source ports with echo, reverb and whatnot: that would kick ass, and sound would get as much attention as graphics, at last.

These are two very different things, and there's NFW I'd want an annoying permanent reverb on EVERY effect :-) I'd use a broken Opti "almost" SB compatible soundcard straight from 1995, if I wanted that ;-)

And now you can hell this thread ;-)

Maes said:
And now you can hell this thread ;-)

Be careful there, playing with fire can get you burned.

Now ease up here. I understand that some are afraid that this project will generate a sound collection soaked wet by reverb. That would be utterly useless. But still if you play DooM and go outside for instance the shooting, pain screams, picking up ammo, using switches etc will generate soundwaves that bounces on walls and thereby creating a slight reverbing sense. Why? Because you still have an athmosphere that the soundwaves can travel in. I dunno why you want to hell this thread when you are acting up because I'm giving an idea that actually will make the gameplay sound more realistic. My plan: Add small amount of reverb and echo to make the sound better. I've done this since 1989 so I know what I'm talking about here. Ofcourse all looped sounds such as the chainsaw & crushers will not be fit with such a reverb.

Hey, none said I hate this thread, and I suggested "helling it" from my understanding of the moderators' way of thinking ;-)

I could start a thread "What's in a moderator's head?" explaining what prompts a moderator to hell a thread, but I guess you could examine post hell yourself and try understanding it yourself...however, jokes worn old and moot arguments are one possible candidate, and I was almost certain it would be helled after my last post :-)

(Sorry fraggle/grazza/myk for oversimplifying and overgeneralizing things, just expressing an opinion)

About "adding reverb in order to enhance": I think the sounds have already been processed and companded in order to sound
"full and loud" and then downsampled to 11KHz and 8-bit. Applying further processing to such low-grade samples would generally not be a very good idea, unless you can somehow get hold of the high-quality originals. Who would like a reverbing 8-bit companded sample? Even if you raise it to 16 bit, 44 KHz and whatnot, they have already suffered a lot and lost much of their precious detail forever.

No problem with me. I've started to process the zombie samples. Will post a small wad once I'm done.

:edit: Oh I missed your post there, my intentions is not to make a fullblown studio quality wad with extra reverb, I'm just adding some extra reverb to make the game a bit more roomy so to say. No long reverb, just 0.8 seconds or so.

I think I remember a wad on a doom cdrom I had called Deathday, it contained what appeared to be upped samples with a slight reverb.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name :/

Whenever I play Doom, I almost always use the PSX sound wad, with the archies, Baphomet, SS nazis and commander keen being the only sounds that weren't replaced. I personally feel those sounds are superior, contrary to popular opinion. However, the PSX and I think the N64 versions had some pretty cool echo effects that would kick in whenever you'd enter hallways/tunnels/corridors. Having some kind of sector-based reverb effect could be interesting in the context of PC Doom.

Well there are possibilities with ACS if I'm not wrong. Could that be a way to solve things?

RTC_Marine said:

I think I remember a wad on a doom cdrom I had called Deathday, it contained what appeared to be upped samples with a slight reverb.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name :/

If I'm not mistaken, you just said the name... "Deathday"...

I voted for "great idea", but only because I thought "reverb" means "echo" effects in caves. If only someone could design sectors inside which all sounds get reverbed, then good.

I think I found out how to play sounds. So basically one need just to create a script that reads all played sounds and then replays the sound with some delay and a bit less volume.