Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Belial

Oneweek demos [-complevel 2 and 9]

DSDA page aka 1 week // 1week // 1week.wad // oneweek // oneweek.wad // one week

-complevel 2 or 9 for maps 01-09

-complevel 9 for maps 10-11

Would it be asking too much if I requested a bugfix release for map11 with repeatable teleport lines in that one rev/archvile teleporter, to stop nonsense like this (-complevel 2 PrBoom+ recorded) from happening.

The map is great for slaughter fun but having runs ruined because of such a randomly occuring situation is a royal pain in the ass.

Any tips on avoiding it maybe?

Edited by Maribo

Belial said:
Any tips on avoiding it maybe?

Well, I'm sure you could have defeated that cowardly anorexic asshole anyway. Does it sometimes teleport out, or do other monsters sometimes stay instead?

Great demo, by the way.

Thanks. It turned out quite nice even though I was becoming more and more nervous with each cyber rocket eaten :P

Judging from Ryback's demo and my practice runs it's possible of course to get all the monsters out from that teleporter. It seems that something went really wrong in the demo. According to IDDT there were 3 monsters left inside when I was leaving the yellow key section, and they still had plenty of teleport lines to hit, but when they did cross them they didn't work, they just turned gray with the monsters staying inside, even though seemingly nothing was there to block their destinations.

Belial said:

Thanks. It turned out quite nice even though I was becoming more and more nervous with each cyber rocket eaten :P

Just watched - ooh, amazing :) I liked the idea of grabbing the cells and BFG'ing the archies at the very beginning.

Judging from Ryback's demo and my practice runs it's possible of course to get all the monsters out from that teleporter. It seems that something went really wrong in the demo. According to IDDT there were 3 monsters left inside when I was leaving the yellow key section, and they still had plenty of teleport lines to hit, but when they did cross them they didn't work, they just turned gray with the monsters staying inside, even though seemingly nothing was there to block their destinations.

Well, just bad luck I guess. When I played it for the first time and when I recorded a demo, I didn't have any problems at all. Yeah, repeatable lines would really help here, as everything is ruined if the destination is blocked. But it's still weird; I just tried a couple of times with IDDQD - all 20 monsters teleported perfectly.

Anyway, to improve the odds I'd try the following. In the beginning, after killing the four archvilles, go and activate linedef 2959 (you can do it without awakening the horde behind the corner). After that, four archvilles and six revenants should teleport, and they shouldn't fail to do that. Later, with invulnerability, when you awaken the first branch, don't go up to the megasphere, i.e., don't let the rest of archies and revenants teleport. The same with the other branch. Clear all the monsters first in both branches, and only then take any megasphere, letting those remaining 10 monsters teleport. They shouldn't have difficulties because the area will be empty now. Maybe this will help.

EDIT: Now this is a very wild guess, but maybe you could try Boom compatibility. I only played this map with Boom 2.02 and the fact that I didn't have any problems may mean something here.

Did a UV-Max for Oneweek.wad map 9. Time for it is 3:28. Pretty good overall, save for one spot, but I'm having a tough time trying to go lower right now. Will be sending to Ops shortly.

That was truly excellent demo. I was impressed how did you handle the hardcore situations in narrow hallways ecspecially the cyber and archvile/revenant fights. Many breathtaking moments, amazing! Damn, I watched it without sound so needed to read a replies here to know what happened at the end.
For map07: Maybe if you punch also most of the revenants in lowering lift, that could save some 100cells.

Very nice! Haha I played the same map today, but haven't start to record on it yet. Your time is much better tha my practices so I am curious to watch the demo too.

The text does state that maps 10 and 11 need a Boom-compatible port.

In such cases, even assuming that it was at the time needed just for limit-removal (rather than Boom specials being used), it is still safest to use Boom compat, as they couldn't have been tested with vanilla compat by the author. Boom changed quite a lot of things as well as adding new features.

Map11 is a plain map, although its uncompressed blockmap is too big for Doom+. It plays fine on Doom+ if the blockmap is compressed but the demo desynchs at the start in that case (not sure why this happens only sometimes; maybe because of the Archviles).

Map07 has some special sector or something odd, that terminates Doom+ at one point. Prboom plays it fine with complevel 2, though, as Belial's demo demonstrates.

In any case these are levels that might have "Boomisms" because of the unfortunate state or mostly unknown status of extended v1.9 support back then. It's true that sometimes Boom is a more appropriate choice for these maps, if they break otherwise, but it's a waste not to try them on v1.9 if they were not aimed to use Boom stuff specifically, because often they work just fine.