Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seiat

GZDoom + OpenGL = Frustration

K, I'm having some real trouble here. The wad I recently downloaded requires GZdoom to run in OpenGL mode. However, when I open the console, it says this:

r_opengl: opengl driver not accelerated! retrying in compatibility mode
r_opengl: opengl driver not accelerated! falling back to software renderer.
r_opengl: reverting to software mode...

Does anyone have any clue at all what this means and how to fix it? Please help me, this is driving me nuts.

I tried downloading opengl right off the web, which didn't work, then tried downloading doom legacy and using the opengl file from it, but that's what it says.

Please respond if you have any info...

This means that either your graphics card is too old or the correct driver isn't installed properly.

Can you post your system specs?
If it can't even initialize in compatibility mode there must be something very wrong.

I remember someone once having a similar problem, and it turned out it was because they had a .dll file from some ancient version of ZDoomGL in the directory.

If it is because it's an ancient card, it must be a *really* ancient card, seeing as GZDoom works fine on my laptop's five year old Radeon mobility 7000 :).

Sometimes drivers act weird: I have an old Compaq Presario 910EA laptop with the equivalent (?) of a mobility radeon 7000, and with its original drivers it was recognized as "software rendered", while after the upgrade it was recognized as "supporting Hardware T&L" -_-

Maes said:

Sometimes drivers act weird: I have an old Compaq Presario 910EA laptop with the equivalent (?) of a mobility radeon 7000, and with its original drivers it was recognized as "software rendered", while after the upgrade it was recognized as "supporting Hardware T&L" -_-

Never *ever* use OEM drivers. They tend to be crippled to some degree by incompetently programmed 'enhancements'...

Graf Zahl said:

Never *ever* use OEM drivers. They tend to be crippled to some degree by incompetently programmed 'enhancements'...

Well, some integrated GFX chipsets, like the above, don't work with anything *but* OEM drivers. Even the upgrade was from Compaq herself. At least no official ATI driver to date has been able to detect the device as suitable or install. Maybe by tampering with CAT or INF files, but that's obviously the wrong way to do it.