Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sdger

Obituary problem

First off, I did read the other threads that referred to Obituary's problems with newer ports, and then I tried about 20 times to "install" it manually (for PrBoom), by following closely Obituary's install .bat's- without any luck. (an "error in frame 43:0" message appeared in Prboom)

As I don't know too much about Dehacked or NWT, could someone please try to make this wad work on anything else than vanilla DOOM 2, and then guide me to it?

I'm sure that for someone who has some experience in those 2 tools and a bit of time, it souldn't be a problem.
Obituary can be found here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=2021
Prboom can be found here:
http://prboom.sourceforge.net

I'll assume you want to use the special weapons. In that case you need to use the following command-lines:
nwt -join obtic2.wad obtic3.wad
nwt -as obtic2.wad

Doom2.wad needs to be present, and Doom.wad needs *not* to be present. The iwad is not altered by this. You do not need to (and shouldn't!) use dehacked.exe in this process. That is only needed if you want to play it with Doom2.exe.

Then load the wads and deh from the command-line:
prboom obtic1 obtic2 obtic2.deh
or
glboom-plus obtic1 obtic2 obtic2.deh

Note that I have only tested with prboom-plus (and by "tested", I mean just taken a quick look to see that the modified weapon graphics are being used and the weapon behaviour is different), which has some fixes in dehacked support that aren't present in regular prboom, but I don't see anything in this deh patch that should trigger any known issues.

To Grazza:
Thanks for the info but...
Actually I was hoping to be able to play it even _without_ the weapon patch. Why? I did this:
1) As the install .bat(obnorm.bat) said, I did:
NWT.exe -merge obtic2.wad
2) Then, with your commandline loaded in Prboom+, I played the first level... till I opened the first door. A message popped that said: "R_ProjectSprite: Missing spriteframes 43:0".
What now? Could you check it out?

Don't use -merge. Ever. That screws with the iwad.

Restore your unmodified iwad and then do this to play it with normal weapons (using the original unmodified files from obtic11.zip):

nwt -as obtic2.wad

And then:
prboom obtic1 obtic2 obtic1.deh
or
glboom-plus obtic1 obtic2 obtic1.deh

Thanks a lot, Grazza!
Two more things:
1)NWT said during the "add sprites" stage: "cannot find start/end of PWad (errors possible!)"- are there any errors?

2)The original version- tested with regular doom2.exe, had removed all cheat codes- now they work again! I'd like to modify that manually but how do I remove (remove, not replace with others) the cheatcodes in a .deh?

1) I don't really know enough about this wad to say for sure. But the fact that the new sprites appear at the point where you would expect them to must be a good sign.

2) Just edit the deh in a text editor. Though there is nothing in these deh files that does anything with the cheat codes. Perhaps when you did this via dehacked.exe, you already had some changes loaded from something else. To avoid that, always work from an unmodified doom2.exe.

The wad is missing a sprite marker. Maybe NWT doesn't rely on it to prepare a wad (which is pretty messy). Also there seem to be a couple of duplicate levels in the wad with the maps.

Specifically:

OBTIC2.WAD has is missing the start marker for sprites; SS_START, it should be added after STARMS and before TROOA1. This could be the cause of the sprites error.

OBTIC1.WAD has level info junk at the start (a level without a level marker at the top) and then another following the info for Map10. No idea if this will adversely affect any engines.

One can just add the sprite marker, and delete the spam lumps, then join the two wads. This requires proficiency with XWE or WinTex, though, of course. Extra work might be required to use the new weapons; I played the wad relatively recently, but ignored these.

I actually used Doom2, but the only difference is that I had to additionally add the rest of the sprites.

The method I described should also work fine with Doom2.exe (tested without obvious problems with Doom2+). The only extra thing you need to do is load the deh patches.

It would be surprising if you needed to repair the wads in order for it to work, given that this is a rather well-known wad.

Yeah, I was just saying what I did. Though using PrBoom you don't need to add the 2 MB of missing sprites, so (merely) adding the marker makes sense for anyone who knows how to do it.

It would be surprising if you needed to repair the wads in order for it to work, given that this is a rather well-known wad.

Not sure what other tools would do about it; I guess they would work fine, but the wad was released to be built with NWT.

I generally just open wads to see what they need changed before being usable (instead of running install batches as indicated in the TXT).