Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alando1

Got a weapons wad coming your way!

Hello everyone, long time no hear. I'm back and I have a new wad to show you. P.S.: It's not on my site. Freeservers sucks and I haven't heard from Sausage in a while. So I tried to upload it to the idgames archive thing. Hopefully I did it correctly. If not, I'll try it again. I bet you all are going to love this wad. I worked real hard on it and I would like to hear some positive feed back. I'll let you all know if the wad was successfully uploaded. The name of the wad is Alandoguns. If you see it on the archives then the upload worked. If not, as I said, I'll try again.

-Alando1

I don't want to sound like an arrogant prick, but who still uses DOS? Seeing as Doom95 came out, and with the new ports you can just use -file at the command line (in properties).

So basically what I'm trying to say is: who cares about the dos 8 character strand?

Antidote said:

I don't want to sound like an arrogant prick, but who still uses DOS? Seeing as Doom95 came out, and with the new ports you can just use -file at the command line (in properties).

So basically what I'm trying to say is: who cares about the dos 8 character strand?

For your information you rich son of a bitch, not everyone can afford Windows XP or a computer from 1998 or later! >=[

Antidote said:

Anyone who wants their upload not to be rejected.

Craigs said:

For your information you rich son of a bitch, not everyone can afford Windows XP or a computer from 1998 or later! >=[

It doesn't have to be XP. You can run Doom95 in... well Windows95. If you still use DOS, then I salute you.

Grazza said:

Anyone who wants their upload not to be rejected.

Dually noted.

Antidote said:

Are eight characters not enough for you? Even limiting yourself to the letters of the alphabet (case insensitively, as was DOS), you still have 26**8 = 208827064576 possible combinations...

CODOR said:

Are eight characters not enough for you? Even limiting yourself to the letters of the alphabet (case insensitively, as was DOS), you still have 26**8 = 208827064576 possible combinations...

That's not quite what I mean. It's not the actually 8 characters, it's the fact that you can't upload a file because of the 8 characters DOS requirement.

Antidote said:
It's not the actually 8 characters, it's the fact that you can't upload a file because of the 8 characters DOS requirement.

The majority of the addons in the archive are indeed for a game that is DOS compatible. Plus fortunately the limitation keeps at bay those horribly long file names ZIPs sometimes come with nowadays, making the directories of the FTP cleaner and easier to read.

But don't worry; I'm sure Ty will modify the procedure once the 208827064576th file is uploaded.

I mean I agree with the 8 character length, but sometimes it's hard to input a name for a wad when the name of it is: The Flying Imp Adventures of the Third Kind: For Impse lovers... tfiaottkfisl.wad? that's more than just 8 letters... and no, I don't plan on making this wad.... thank god.

Edit: this is my last say, I'm dropping it now, for the better.

Antidote said:

I don't want to sound like an arrogant prick, but who still uses DOS?

Well, I still use vanilla exes with every wad I can, nwt, and deth. Also I don't like to drag and drop files over a source port exe, I prefer the good old -file blah.wad, you can have the wads and source ports in diferent folders and don't need to hold the file while you move from folder to folder.
I know ports allow long names, but it's tedious to type them, each time I find a wad with an annoying long name I rename it to something shorter, but still related to the original name.

Antidote said:
That's not quite what I mean. It's not the actually 8 characters, it's the fact that you can't upload a file because of the 8 characters DOS requirement.

Lowest common denominator, I guess. Remember that maps made for Boom, Eternity, and even older versions of ZDoom will still run in DOS. So keeping the names short is still useful, even if only for a handful of people...

Also, DOS wasn't the only system with such a low limit on its filenames. Several Unix filesystems had 14-character limits (although they might not have been in use by the time Doom was ported to the various Unices) -- that includes both the period and the "zip", so it's really a 10-character limit. Mac OS had a 32-character limit until the mid-1990s, I think.

8.3 is also the format used by the original specification for CD-ROMs, although most operating systems (except DOS) won't care if you use all 31 available characters. Plus, aside from Windows and Linux (which had it earlier), just about any OS from the past five years will read the Joliet descriptor which allows names on a CD/DVD to be up to the usual 255-character limit...

@Everyone- I said I wouldn't continue on this subject so I'll just respond with generic response that do not continue this topic.

@Vegeta- I use that to, I really hate it when people have a wad name like "the sewers.wad". They had to put a space in there, why? So I guess it does make sense.

@CODOR- Duely noted. I believe that what you have to say makes the most sense out of everything else. I salute you, sir, for opening my eyes to it. Thank you.

Ok, Just a moment ago I found out my wad uploaded successfully! Yay! Now can this thread be only about some constructive critisism, comments and questions about the wad? I'd like to hear what all of you think plus what you say may help me progress with my programming.

-Alando1