Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Moral Kombat - Oh the humanity

"We don't want the government to get into this and force you to adopt a rating system, but if you don't do this, we will."

Shut the fuck up, Lieberman, you've been trying to censor all forms of artistic expression for as long as I can remember. Die in a fire. Not to mention the fact that the video game industry HAS adopted a rating system (twice), and it's pretty effective and comprehensive really.

*sigh* Not this again...

"OMG VIDJA GAEMS ARE TEH EVIL BECUZ U SHOOT TEH GUYZ!!~!~!!!! NOW TEH KIDSZ AR GUNA SHOOTE THEIR SKEWL!!~!!1"

So typical...

Whilst videogames ARE responsible for the creation of a dribbling, barely-literate sub-race of ignorant savages who will never contribute anything useful to society, they do not encourage violence. Not bringing people up correctly, to belive in right and wrong, does that.

Are you serious? That's a bold statement to make, specially when you're not backing it up with any kind of evidence.

It's actually been said that video games actually make people more socially capable. Not to mention that most games require reading in them, and as most of them are in english, the majority of earths population that also play games get more prominent in the english language.

Games also make you activate your brain in different ways and work on your motor skills.

Games don't make people stupid. Those people were already stupid to begin with.

Games also don't magically makes people into psychopatic killing machines. There's a wide varitey of other things that cause that.

It's just like with TV- They long claimed that TV demoralized and stupified kids, and ruined their imagination. Then they suddenly noticed that TV actually increased kids imagination as it allowed a wider variety of influences on the children.

Wouldn't surprice me if the later found out that video games actually dampen violent tendencies as it supplies an outlet for agression.

There's too much money in the video game market to be closed for these kind of things(not only game sells, cyber cafes, hardware that most people buy only for games, magazines, and sure more).

It's the parents who are responsible for failing to raise their idiot offspring properly, not the games those kids happen to be playing. If their parents don't give a fuck and can't be bothered to pay attention, or at least take an interest in what they do in their spare time, it's no surprise that they become influenced through other means.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that Lieberman and all those other deranged halfwits have some serious issues of their own, so probably aren't in the best position to judge the rest of society.

Are these people that one minded? I agree with everyones posts so far.

Why on earth do they bring 9/11 into this? If they were trying to use 9/11 as an example to help Leiberman's statement they chose one that does not even support it at a large degree. For their purpose, they are better off sticking to Columbine, which happened before 9/11 a long time ago. Plus those kids were messed up in the head to begin with.

Yes, twice we developed a rating system for games. They should look more into the subject besides having a general idea before stating an idea that currently exists.

If they are so concerned with younger kids with more violent games then why don't they ask the parents to do their part? How many incidents do you see that has a violent video game being as the basis? If any, it's because of the stupid kids or their irresponsible parents that would lead to these scenarios.

I know I basically repeated everything you guys said, but I just coulden't agree more with you. Its irritating to see that there are some people that just dont get the point.

While i hate cutting quotes than rambling replies to them...

That's a bold statement to make, specially when you're not backing it up with any kind of evidence.

Virtually all videogame forums, and the past 20 years or so seeing the first drop in literacy amongst school leavers (in Britian anyway). While old games required a lot of reading, now they all have voice acting in them even the ability to read is no longer required

It's just like with TV- They long claimed that TV demoralized and stupified kids, and ruined their imagination. Then they suddenly noticed that TV actually increased kids imagination as it allowed a wider variety of influences on the children.

TV Can Educate, Entertain and Inform, Educational videogames NEVER sell, they are "pure" Entertainment, you don't learn anything from them. And most ones these days dont even entertain me to be honest... Gamers are little above animals, drawn to shiny lights (lets face it, to most of them graphics is still the only thing they judge a game on, queing up to buy the latest pin-sharp crikeyvision WW2 shooter and only later complaining if the gameplay is shit) and acting purely on primitive instincts.

WTF?

Some joker took a clip from Myst and overlayed broken glass bulletholes on it. Check out 0:54 after it says 'Half of America Plays Video Games' (shocking eh, who'd have thought?)

deathbringer said:

Virtually all videogame forums, and the past 20 years or so seeing the first drop in literacy amongst school leavers (in Britian anyway).

I don't quite follow the logic that a drop in the standard of education students are receiving is somehow related to the games they're playing at home. Furthermore, having attended a school dubbed by both local and national media as "the worst school in Britain" and playing plenty of video games in my spare time, I can say with some confidence that neither of these factors have had an effect on my literacy. Whatever the cause of this current trend for young people to be violent and stupid is, it can't be attributed to video games, or any other single factor alone.

chilvence said:

WTF?

Some joker took a clip from Myst and overlayed broken glass bulletholes on it. Check out 0:54 after it says 'Half of America Plays Video Games' (shocking eh, who'd have thought?)

Yeah, I were wondering why they even had that in there since the Myst series is the most famous non violent game there is. But it also speaks for how full of crap these idiots are.

Wow, talk about being totally biased. There isn't even anyone in the video game industry listed in the interviewees. A video documentary about video game violence and they didn't even bother bringing in someone from the industry?

The people who shoot up their schools or murder people randomly on the streets are already fucked up in the head to begin with. Oh and don't get me started with that faggot Devin Moore.

"Dur dur! Vidja gaems made me do it! Life's a vidja gaem! You die and then you can hit teh reset button!!!"

He essentially pulled a Scream 2. He says the games made him do it even though he killed the cops and while being mentally aware of what he did.

I don't see why these dumb fucks are blaming video games on 9/11. That's just fucking retarded.

They're not blaming video games for 9/11, they're saying that the hijackers used flight simulators to train for the attack, which is true.

Darkside points.

Captain Red said:

They're not blaming video games for 9/11, they're saying that the hijackers used flight simulators to train for the attack, which is true.

Darkside points.

I remember accidently flying the 737 into a skyscraper with Flight Simulator 98 in elementary school...

Trying to fly between the two antennas on top of the John Hancock building.

[FBI starts file]

Ahh forget it, there's no sources to indicate videogames have lead to the decline in intelligence in society which don't come from these bigoted morons who blame games for all evils, so i suppose there's no point arguing it.

Hm, i remember my brother had a demo of one of the Ace Combat games once which appeared to be set over a city which is kind of a cross of San Francisco and New York (big red bridge over a bay and two very tall square buildings close together), and after destroying the enemy fighters near the city we proceeded to have a contest to fly between the towers, often crashing, this developed into a "funniest crash" competition... I think i tried to fly into a tunnel which was actually just a texture on a hill, my cousin actually managed to crash into a helicopter, that was funny (just an endless series of explosions spawning 4 bits of debris in the sky with the camera spinning round it)

Captain Red said:

Darkside points.

Actually, if you break it down, what they say is: Video games can be used to learn new things, and that is bad.

And before you respond with saying they don't want terrorists to learn new things, they don't actually mention terrorists. They mention 9 year olds as people who can learn how to fly a plane... into the WTC.

So at the same time, they're also saying that 9 year olds that play flight sims, are just terrorists waiting to be old enough to hijack a plane.

And as a matter of fact, MS Flight Simulator is not a violent game. So they contradict themselves when they even bother to bring it up.

They are claiming they worry about violent games making rabid psychopaths out of youngsters. If that were the case, then they should love the MS Flight sim, since it is a very helpful tool to activate young aswell as older minds and give their brains a lot of excersize in a lot of different fields. Such fields being math, localisation and the previously mentioned motor skills, aswell as reading (have you seen the manual to MS flight sim, it's thick as a brick).

If they play a non violent game, and make it violent. Doesn't that mean by their standards that the person already is a violent mind?

By their standards, I would be a massmurderor. I've been playing violent games all my life, I've been playing paintball, I've played war with my friends when I were little. And the few times I played MS flightsimulator, I found it so dull that I always ended up crashing the plane (although once I actually did try to land it when I crashed.)

Now, have I ever killed another person? No
Have I ever thought about killing another person? No
Have I been in any fights? Yes, but not since the last time a bunch of neo nazis tried to kick my ass (which they also succeeded with I might add, all those hours playing Doom and Mortal Kombat helped me very little).
Do I enjoy hurting people's feelings? No, not even people I dislike.
Have I said things to hurt people's feelings? Yes, when I were in an upset, or angry mood. I'm not perfect.

I don't enjoy realistic violence. Does anyone do that here? If they do, then I suggest they seek counceling.

If you do enjoy violence, I believe playing violent games, listening to violent music, watching violent movies etc, could temporarily fill that need of a sick mind. But ultimately, people like Brian Harris and Dylan Klebold were sick. And it wasn't because they played video games. Whatever caused them to kill, were already there.

One of south america's biggest child rappist and murderer (el monstruo de los andes) used to sell bibles and play the guitar outside bars before he started his infamous sexual rampage.

Did selling religion and music turned him into a monster?

No, he turned into that monster after a whole childhood of abuse, drugs and traumatic experiences.

But I can still blame it on religion and music, just because it's sounds logical.

Same thing with videogames. I can say that a 10 year old kid will kill cops because he's "awarded with points" for doing so; a 10 year old kid will use heavy drugs, because a some guy in Starcraft used a stimpack a feels better.

I could be able to say that Mario Bros 3 turnued me into a drug addict, because I saw Mario use a leaf to fly, eat a mushroom to become bigger, swim for hours, eat a flower and spit fire, be chased by flying turtles and travel to the other side of the world just by playing a flute.

I remember eating gummi bears while playing mario 3. Did I become a a bear hater, with the sole purpose of beheading the whole Ursidae family because of gummi bears?

The interviewees include: Dr. David Walsh, Jack Thompson, Dr. Michael Rich, Lorne Lanning, Greg Fischbach, Dean Takahashi, Jef Griffiths, John Marmaduke, Pamela Eakes, Andy McNamara, Greg Ballard, Bob McKenzie, American McGee, Hal Halpin, Lt. Col Grossman, Phil O'Neil, Marie Sylla, Ed WIlliams,Richard Ow, Dr. Henry Jenkins, and Jason Della Rocca.

Oh snap...

Danarchy said:

"We don't want the government to get into this and force you to adopt a rating system, but if you don't do this, we will."

Shut the fuck up, Lieberman, you've been trying to censor all forms of artistic expression for as long as I can remember. Die in a fire. Not to mention the fact that the video game industry HAS adopted a rating system (twice), and it's pretty effective and comprehensive really.

Anyone who wants to ban violent video games but supported invading a country with tens of millions of people is a hypocrite. It's pretty ironic for someone who supports murder to say that video games distort people's sense of reality and promote violence. Though the next thing you know he'll say the reason he supported the invasion was because he played so much Doom it desensitized him to all the violence.

sargebaldy said:

Anyone who wants to ban violent video games but supported invading a country with tens of millions of people is a hypocrite. It's pretty ironic for someone who supports murder to say that video games distort people's sense of reality and promote violence. Though the next thing you know he'll say the reason he supported the invasion was because he played so much Doom it desensitized him to all the violence.

Either you're being a major troll or you have, at one point in your life, huffed copious amounts of gasoline fumes and house-hold aresol products.

Then again, you think people shouldn't pay taxes for essential services. So it may be even worse...

This coming from someone who eats the squirrels he finds in his yard. You also apparently have no idea what my political beliefs are.

Naked Snake said:
Either you're being a major troll or you have, at one point in your life, huffed copious amounts of gasoline fumes and house-hold aresol products.

Eh, look who's talking about the effects of getting intoxicated on other people. It's Mr. Pot (what a glorious pun for this case in question). And did you even read the post you quoted? I don't see how someone could react that way to an almost inevitable and even reasonable criticism of that sort.

Captain Red said:

I don't know how true that is, but you must admit that in any case it's a stupid thing to argue; all along my childhood I played with my brothers and schoolmates wielding toy guns or wooden swords, shooting or hacking at imaginary creatures and people (if not each other), or played war games with miniatures (I had plastic soldiers and indians and cowboys even when I was pretty small) where mass destruction and violence were orchestrated.

Video games didn't change the gaming themes much. Do the tabletop Chess, RISK and Diplomacy make you into a brutal war lord?

You could argue video games influence people because they have content (like fiction), but the influence is not directly translatable to society, and isn't much different from that of books, music, and movies. I'm not saying care mustn't be taken into what children should or shouldn't normally have access; but the treatment of the media as a transparent medium (video game violence -> real violence) is the work of either idiots or fascists (and generally a combination of both).

Some gray haired dude in the YouTube clip said:
Violence has always been with us. It's been with us since Cane slew Abel, but we've always recognized violence as a vice, and not as a virtue.

Only "true" if you don't understand rhetoric. Humanity has not only ofen glorified violence all along history (and in the Bible so oftly quoted), but leaders and politicians are for a great part humongous hypocrites that use and order violence, supporting if for whatever agenda they are immersed in, and then accuse anyone somehow related to violence and violent imagery of being a cause of violence and a danger to society.

Marty Razor Kirra said:

Oh snap...

Ok... so that's one person from the game industry. The rest of them hate video games and think they're worse than Saddam and Hitler combined.

sargebaldy said:

This coming from someone who eats the squirrels he finds in his yard. You also apparently have no idea what my political beliefs are.

Uh, considering it's illegal to fire a gun in town, I think not. Yeah, I hunt small game, sometimes I shoot a squirrel. So what? My diet is a reflection of my intelligence?

myk said:

Humanity has not only ofen glorified violence all along history (and in the Bible so oftly quoted), but leaders and politicians are for a great part humongous hypocrites that use and order violence, supporting if for whatever agenda they are immersed in, and then accuse anyone somehow related to violence and violent imagery of being a cause of violence and a danger to society.

In wars all through our history, warriors have been greated as great men. To be a great warrior had been a glorified position deemed worty of a lot of respect.
Back in the old roman empire, the gladiator games, where people fought to the death were a great past time. And also watching murderors and whatnot getting torn asunder by lions.
Something that might be added though, is that according to historians. The audience who watched this however, never actually got into violent behaviour at these events.
Now, I'm gonna say "football supporter" and you'll most likely think of, crazy hooligan (atleast I do, since that's the only time supporters are ever mentioned in the media, even though they are a very small demographic of the football supporters).
But it's not the sport of football that makes a large of people tarnish the words "football supporter" to be linked to "hooligans". They're people with violent tendencies who seek something to fight for. A reason and excuse to beat up someone. The same thing goes for most neo nazis. Most of them don't really give a shit about nazism, they just want buddies, a sense of community. And someone to let out their built up anger on (so what better person than that strange looking guy that can't speak a language that you'll understand, right?).

Hooligans are a bigger social problem than those few people who play games and then resort to violence. But is anyone worried about what the sport of football is doing to our young? Of course not, that would be retarded.
But I bet that when the sport were young. There were a lot of scruffy old men with fascist ideologies that thought of it as a certain path to mankinds doom.